Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Would you recommend a laser on a concealed carry Ruger LCP.

I just posted another thread asking about the Crimson Trace Laser. But are any lasers a good idea for a gun like the LCP. I know the sights suck on this gun. Please let me know what you think….

(Chester County)

Default Re: Would you recommend a laser on a concealed carry Ruger LCP.

sure. just remember they are not the be-all and end-all. they don't show well in bright light, and if you don't train with it they can be distracting. But they can also be of good help.

(Susquehanna County)

No. LCP is a defensive short range weapon. By short range I mean 7 yards or less. Especially the less part, read at arms length or across the poker table or grabbing at your throat in the elevator close.

Learn to shoot it well enough to empty a magazine into an area the size of the space between a man's eyes and upper lip from cheekbone to cheekbone at 7 yds. Practice shooting with retention at arms length.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

My stepson got one for his Pf-9. It's a defensive gun.
    We went to Classic Pistol. That laser was so distracting and hard to hold on target at 10 yards. It may work for slow target shooting, but for fast self defense shooting...forget about it.
    In the dark when you have the drop on someone...maybe, otherwise I would say it's a liability. JMHO.

(Schuylkill County)

My LCP is scary accurate for such a tiny piece. I have the Crimson Trace on mine and shoot with it all the time. Lights up a soup can nicely at 25 yards during the day and will make it dance until you have to change mags.

I have used it to shoot propane tanks 100 yards downrange. The laser is useless at that distance during the day, but I actually hit the tank 50% of the time after compensating for bullet-drop aiming about 20' up the hill, above the target. Surprised the hell out of me!

Get the laser, and dry-fire practice at home with the LCP/Crimson Trace until you become confident that you can keep the laser in one spot on the wall throughout the trigger pull. Then, practice this a few times a week and this little gun will really surprise you when you get to the range. Since the LCP is double-action and doesn't give you much to grip, it can be a real bear to keep on target throughout the pull. You'll see that laser jumping all over the place if you just pull slowly. If you keep your pull swiftly and deliberately with a tight grip, you can keep that laser in 1 spot without any twitch.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    We went to Classic Pistol. That laser was so distracting and hard to hold on target at 10 yards. It may work for slow target shooting, but for fast self defense shooting...forget about it.
    If it's hard to hold on target with the laser, what do you think it's doing without the laser?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    If it's hard to hold on target with the laser, what do you think it's doing without the laser?
    Like I said for 1 slow shot, I'm sure it's okay. Combat shooting...tried it, wouldn't bet my life on it.

(Lackawanna County)

Yes...get the laser.

Then practice dry firing, lot and lots of practice, until that dot doesn't move when you squeeze the trigger. Practice draws and point shooting. Practice acquisition of target, as fast as you can. Practice with the iron sights and the laser together, and laser alone. Try iron sights alone, in case the laser doesn't work.

The LCP is born for use with the laser; in tight range, train so you get the dot on COM as fast as possible; your hope is that the light dissuades the BG, but if it doesn't, and you are well-trained, the shots should go where the dot is.

I have a bigger carry piece (XD Service .45); I can clear my cover, draw, and put 2 COM (in the 10 zone) in under two seconds with the laser, before the weapon even comes to position for the iron sights, with the supporting hand just reaching the strong hand for the second squeeze; essentially you can fire as soon as the dot settles in.

The thing is, with enough practice WITH the laser, you should be able to do the same thing without it, even if it does fail. I would hope to NEVER be in a situation where I NEEDED a one hand from the hip double-tap, but I know now that I have that in my arsenal if I ever do...and that is thanks to practicing with the laser.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lackawanna County)

i think any gun, handgun or rifle, would benefit from the use of a laser sighting system, as long as it isn't relied on. i think it's more important to learn how to shoot what you have properly first, using the sights and point shooting, before adding anything else. it's possible to become dependent on something like a laser; when that fails (dead battery, broken emitter, etc), it could leave the shooter with a severe handicap.

if you can shoot well without it, then there's no harm in shooting with it.

I would recommend putting a laser sighting device on any self protection handgun simply because in certain situations, you don't need to have your head behind the gun to aim it. This means you can shoot around corners, you can hide behind a telephone pole and fire the gun from one side of the pole and look where the laser is pointing from the other side, you can shoot behind you while running, the options are endless. Any other sight requires you put yourself in harms way to fire.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast