Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Question 7mm mag ammo for deer hunting

Hello everyone, just curious on some ammo for my Remington 798 7mm mag. I was using 150 gr core-lok ammo but I would like to have some options and the remington website is not answering what I want to know. I don't want a bullet that is going to quote on quote "butcher the deer in the field" but i do want a bullet that has knock down power and is effective from 50-300 yds. I used to hunt with a 6mm remington model 700 using 100gr core-lok and never had a deer run and the damage to the meat was minimal but changes in hunting locations , I decided to use a bigger round for those long, open field shots. I would also prefer to stay with remington unless someone out there has had good luck with another brand. I am looking for type of ammo and grain bullet. Any info would be much appreciated.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: 7mm mag ammo for deer hunting

Check to see if remy make the 7mm in a balistic tip design. I use them in the 06 with very good results. I beleive its called the accutip.??

(Mercer County)

I'm working on a new load for this year due to a new hunting location offering the chance to take long range shots. Rem 700 7mm mag leupold 4 - 12 LR Duplex
    I don't know if your reloading but here it is Sierra GameKing Bullets 7mm 140 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail, IMR 4350 62.8 3045 VEL. It's really shooting great out of my gun, haven't seen what it will do to a deer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chkrdflag11 View Post
    Check to see if remy make the 7mm in a balistic tip design. I use them in the 06 with very good results. I beleive its called the accutip.??
    I shot 150 gr ballistic tips one year with my 7 mag. I think they were from Federal. I hit a doe once behind the shoulder and it look like I shot it 3-4 times with 30-06 when we skun it out. The deer was trashed. The exit hole was about the size of a soda can. I haven't killed another deer with the gun, but I switched over to 175 gr rd nose thinking it might not tear them up so bad. I just bought Federal blue box from Walmart for under $20/box
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Dauphin County)

Last year I used Remington Accutip 140gr in my 7mm mag to take a deer. The enterance side was wasted. All the ribs and up into the neck. The exit hole was 1.5". The shot was about 50yds and broadside. After that mess I decided to change rounds. Now I am going to use my own loads. 120gr Barnes tipped triple shock over 68grs of RL22.
    If you cant load your own I would give the reduced recoil round from remington a try. Supposed to be just as good at killing but less velocity and recoil.

(Allegheny County)

Last year I took a 10pt at about 55yds using 150gr Remington Premier Scirocco Bonded. I was in med to heavy brush and due to small trees, etc I opted for a neck shot. Went straight down. The interesting thing is the entrance and exit wounds were almost identical in size. Even the taxidermist wasn't 100% sure which was which. I don't know if this is because it never hit a bone, the neck muscle is softer or what but there was little if any slug expansion. So little that I am considering not using the same round this year. I'd be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on this.

(York County)

I have a Ruger 7mm Rem Mag with Nikon Gold 2.5x10 optics and I have had tremendous success with the Winchester Supreme Silver Ballistic Tip in a 140 gr. I shot a bear last year with this load at about 75 yds. and had through and through penetration, with entry and exit points about the same size. There was some damage to surrounding area, but not terrible.

According to the box, Winchester teams with Nosler on the bullet... not sure what that means. Also, this round is not cheap. I think I found a box at Wal-Mart once for around $40 and that was a great price. I have paid as much as $55/box. The 140 gr. seems to be harder to find, as Wal-Mart and Dicks tend to have the 150 gr. in stock typically, but not the 140 gr. I often have to find the 140 gr. at Gander or Cabelas. I have no experience with the 150 gr. At the range, when I zero this rifle in (last two seasons), my group of three at 200 yds. was all within an inch, which was good enough for me Again, this is personal experience.

My hunting friend also uses this same round, same weight, and took a deer two years ago with his Remington rifle and this bullet did very little destruction around entry/exit point. The shot was relatively close (50-75 yds) and was a perfect heart/lung shot... very devastating but not too destructive to surrounding meat.
    All of my guns have recently disappeared. "The Constitution of the United States guarantees to you the right to bear arms...You have the unquestioned right, under the law, to defend your life and protect the sanctity of your fireside. Failing in either, you are a coward and a craven and undeserving of the name of man." Eugene V. Debs

(Fayette County)

I second the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silver Tips, I use my 300 Win Mag with those, and it's the same hole, in and out.... Deer and Antelope so far...

(Cumberland County)

I use Hornady Custom Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 139 Grain InterBond.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...6bd9ce8eeee93d

(Lancaster County)

I say stick with the Core-Loks. They are relatively cheap and will get the job done for the ranges you listed. I have used those,and the Federal Power-shoks, both shoot about the same groups out of my gun. My uncle used the Winchester Powerpoints in Canada to take 2 Caribou at 300 and 400 yds(one shot each).
    Bottom line is,You dont need an expensive bullet to shoot a deer at 300 yds,or25. find what your gun likes,and put the bullet in the right place.
    Being an Obama supporter isn't a crime. But it should be!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast