Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Electronic hearing protection is it worth it ?

Hello, I was interested if someone who has had experience could tell me if electronic hearing protection (muffs) are worth the expense.
    I have always used the foam ear plugs ever since I have started shooting and they seem to work well, when someone talks I usually pull one out to hear.
    I have been looking at a few models , Peltor, Howard Leight, Pro Ears, and such. They seem to be rather expensive but if they work well they might be worth the investment.
    Can anyone suggest a good model or brand that I can check into?
    Anyones experience or recommendation would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cybersurf
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Electronic hearing protection is it worth it ?

I'm thinking about them, too, but muffs screw-up my rifle cheek weld.

Plus, some of my stuff is very loud and only good plugs have done the job so far. Never really checked the quality or rating of my muffs but that would be something I would have in mind with such an expenditure.

A high quality set might be worth it. The ones for sale under $100 aren't. I have a set of Peltor Tactical Sports. I use them indoors, and I've also used them outdoors.

They're stereo. This is important because it give you sound directionality. Indoors, they do automatically drop level at the leading edge of a gunshot sound. I think that they not only drop the volume, but that the electronics have some kind of additonal noise cancellation filtering. This is only a guess. They're certainly effective.

Also, since they cover the entire ear, they cover the mastoid process, which transmits sound into the ear via bone conduction.

Outdoors, they control gunshots, but with the volume turned up. you get super stereo hearing. This might be useful for hunting.

But get the best pair you can afford. They will give you excellent hearing protection with low distortion.
    NRA, IDPA, Tactical Pistol Instructor

In my experience, I like, them, but sometimes they do mess up my cheek weld. The bit bulky ones definitely do mess up my cheek weld and I'd rather just use plugs. With the smaller thinner muffs, I really enjoy them. They are expensive, and it kind of just depends on what your requirements are. If you are talking, or need to hear anything, they're priceless. If you're going to be shooting alone, and just targets, probably not much to be gained.

Many times the ear plugs will actually filter out a bit more sound, or the same amount of sound. V65magnafan brings up a good point though. Plugs do not cover up the mastoid process, and if you shoot enough, you can even lose your hearing from the vibrations that it transmits. If you're not shooting constantly, you probably won't have any problems, but if you shoot often or indoors with big boomers, it's definitely worth muffing up. I really enjoy being able to hear when I shoot. It's pretty neat when you can fire and the muffs block out the gunshot, but then it cuts back to sound so fast, you can still hear your bullet hit paper or animal. Some of my might not believe that people can hear it, but I assure you I can hear when that bullet hits the paper.

If you have the funds, go for it. If you don't, nothing wrong with waiting a little bit and using your ear plugs. Remember that your TRUE hearing can never be restored, and just a few shots can quickly cause permanent damage that you will never get back, or ringing that will never go away. Take care of your ears, they're worth every penny.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by V65Magnafan View Post
    A high quality set might be worth it. The ones for sale under $100 aren't. I have a set of Peltor Tactical Sports. I use them indoors, and I've also used them outdoors.
    They're stereo. This is important because it give you sound directionality. Indoors, they do automatically drop level at the leading edge of a gunshot sound. I think that they not only drop the volume, but that the electronics have some kind of additonal noise cancellation filtering. This is only a guess. They're certainly effective.
    Also, since they cover the entire ear, they cover the mastoid process, which transmits sound into the ear via bone conduction.
    Outdoors, they control gunshots, but with the volume turned up. you get super stereo hearing. This might be useful for hunting.
    But get the best pair you can afford. They will give you excellent hearing protection with low distortion.
    Bold is mine
    Peltor Tactical 6 are for sale at Cabelas for $79.00 which I have a set as well as a set of Remington Pro2000. The Howard Leight slimline are the next ones I'm getting next. All 3 are well worth the money. They allow you to hear range commands very as well as provides very good hearing protection.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Northampton County)

I have two pairs of the Peltor Tactical series as well as a set of custom molded plugs with noise cancellation.

All the reasons above are accurate, but to me the best reason for the electronic muffs with amplification is for home defense. One pair hangs on my headboard.

If you need to investigate a noise in your house, the amplified muffs will let you hear better than anything else. If there is someone or more than one someone in the house you'll hear them talking or moving while they may not hear you. Finally, if you ever have need to discharge a weapon in your home you won't be temporarily deaf afterward and you'll still be able to detect the sounds of people hopefully fleeing your house.

Skullz
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    Bold is mine
    Peltor Tactical 6 are for sale at Cabelas for $79.00 which I have a set as well as a set of Remington Pro2000.
    Wow. Prices have come down! I stand corrected.

One more thing. About a year ago, I forgot to put on my ear protection indoors. I fired my 1911. Now I have a permanent left ear notch at 4000 hz. One round did it.
    If you shoot right-handed in an indoor shooting stall, the reverb wrecks your left ear.

My ENT guy read my hearing test and knew right away it was a sudden trauma--probably a gunshot.
    NRA, IDPA, Tactical Pistol Instructor

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    I have two pairs of the Peltor Tactical series as well as a set of custom molded plugs with noise cancellation.

All the reasons above are accurate, but to me the best reason for the electronic muffs with amplification is for home defense. One pair hangs on my headboard.

If you need to investigate a noise in your house, the amplified muffs will let you hear better than anything else. If there is someone or more than one someone in the house you'll hear them talking or moving while they may not hear you. Finally, if you ever have need to discharge a weapon in your home you won't be temporarily deaf afterward and you'll still be able to detect the sounds of people hopefully fleeing your house.

Skullz
    Don't reach for your muffs or night vision or pajamas or slippers. Bad things usually turn worse extremely fast.

(Northampton County)

You assume that my first line of defense has been silently defeated.

My ACD was built to be kicked in the head by cattle. He's as protective and alert as they come. A bad guy can get past him at some point, but not before a loud and bloody fight. I gots plenty of time to put on some muffs.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Northampton County)

Good point and good work

Also, sometimes there are noises or dog disturbances that are not threats. But they still need to be checked. I've been know to use a little NV once in a while But I keep my weapons so they won't make me permanently deaf if fired indoors in an emergency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast