Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Electronic hearing protection is it worth it ?

I have the Peltor Tactical 6 and couldn't be happier.
    Outside, with everything I have used, I have always been very pleased with the attenuation. It’s like wearing plugs but when not firing and talking, you can hear. I have not used them inside yet, but figured I could always add ear plugs in combination with the muffs. The amplification you get with the Peltor would override some of the earplugs affect when not shooting. However I doubt I will need too.

As far as I can tell, they are basically earmuffs with speakers. And the speakers have a nice little circuit that shuts them off when the crack of a shot is heard. I am fairly sure there is no noise cancellation going on in the Tactical 6 models.
    But the only time I find them slightly annoying is in large group shoots. Then they are always shutting off when others are shooting making it a little difficult to have a conversation. But for 60 bucks I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. And from the research I read, I concluded the tactical 6 were the only cheap one that were worth buying.
    I think I got mine on sale at Midway USA.

http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/com...m=MT15H67FB001

(Lehigh County)

I have some Howard Leight Impact Sports. Very happy with them. Thin, adjustable volume, stereo and reasonable price. Tend to get in the way a bit with rifles though.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/howard-leight-brand.html

(Philadelphia County)

There are this kind they sell at Cabelas that a marine friend of mine says they issued to him in the service at one point... they look like 2 cones stuck together, half yellow and half OD green. The yellow side has a hole in them and you can actually hear conversations with that side in, while the green side blocks all sound. They work good for being near loud machinery too.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Good point and good work

But I keep my weapons so they won't make me permanently deaf if fired indoors in an emergency.
    I'm with ya, but 130db is still pretty loud in a hallway
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    I'm with ya, but 130db is still pretty loud in a hallway
    Indeed, muffs off outside guns are not nearly as loud as muffs off indoor guns. Once fired the 12g too close to a wall (outside, mind you) without muffs and paid for it in deafness on the right side for about 2 days. Could imagine it'd be way WAY louder had I been inside.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Northampton County)

That 130db number os for a suppressed 9mm. Unsuppressed 9mm is around 159db. An 18" 12g can get into the 160dbs.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Lackawanna County)

I have used the expensive Peltors forgot the model but they were well over $200 and were awesome, you could speak plainly and it just filters out all gunshots, they truley are fantastic. I have the Howard Leights and they are very good and am happy with them. I use the electronic ones mostly when i'm doing instruction and shooting pistol. I use ear plugs for rifle and trap shooting for the cheek weld.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the info .
    I found a pair of Peltor SportTac's at Midway for 109.00 . I think I just might take the plunge and purchase them. It seems most people like them and the idea of using plugs underneath them for loud boomers or indoor use is an excellent idea.
    I also might have to check Cabelas for the Tac 6 also.
    Thanks for the information.
    Cybersurfff
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Pike County)

Anybody here ever hear a shot go off indoors? It is extremely loud. I have heard pistols, rifles, and shotguns (AR being the worst for me) being fired indoors. No thanks. Yeah, if I don't have the time, I won't grab them, but then again, I am no longer a police officer and don't plan to go searching through my house if I hear a noise. Lock the door, call 911, and cover the door with my pistol. Anything comes in, they get shot.

I got a $50 pair from Midway last year. Work very well. Conversation is amplified, loud noises aren't. Even if they don't work as well as the more expensive ones, they DO work better than standard muffs. And if the speakers fail, you still have the muffs on.

I like them alot.

(Jefferson County)

I love my Peltor Tacticals. Super stereo hearing with automatic cut off of gun shots. It's nice not having to take off your hearing protection to talk to someone.

They interfere slightly with my cheek weld, but not too badly. The muffs just get pushed up a couple mm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12