Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Update on my Auto-Ordnance 1911A1

Just wanted to let you guys know how this gun fared out for me. I picked it up several months ago, and I have about 500 rounds through it. (Not my choice to have that little through it, but ammo's kinda scarce!)

First in the beginning, it gave me some trouble with the wad-cutters. Had a bunch of FTE and loading issues. Really got me down on the gun. But it seemed sturdy, got some good advice from some people on here and kept with the gun.

I'm friends with my gun dealer, so he gave me a few hand loads to get the gun broken in. They were pretty hot if I do say so myself. Then I fired through about 100 rounds of the 230 grain ball ammo. Flawless.

For the next 350 rounds or so, I kept on using the 230 grain ball and have yet to experience a single problem. Also went through a box of hollow points, and there was no problems with those either. Each time I shoot I go through between 30 and 50 rounds. I just shoot out back of my house so it's just a convenience and fun thing.

Normally I'll shoot at around 15 yards with the gun, sometimes out to 20. My groups have been between 3 and 5 inches freehand. Occasionally I'll have a stovepipe, but I also chalk that up to bad marksmanship. *user error. I'm just as accurate with this gun as my Beretta 92fs, so that tells me that it must be user error for not getting smaller groups. I'll have to post some pictures soon.

On the Mechanical side, the gun seems very well made. Parkerized finish that hasn't come close to rubbing off or rusting. I've have a bit of rust on the mags that were stored with it, and not a bit on the gun, so that's a good sign for me. (I try to wipe my guns down at least every 2 weeks, but this humidity killed me). The slide feels a bit loose, but that's to be expected with a GI 1911. I personally prefer that and have come to really like it. The trigger breaks clean every time, nothing rattles when it's shaken and it's eaten every mag I've stuck in it. All good signs for an inexpensive gun. I haven't had to replace anything to see if fitting would be needed, but I'll expect a little as with any 1911. Everything seems very standard and well made. The only issue I've had at all with mechanics was that the barrel link pin seems to fall out easily while the gun is apart. Any suggestions for that? Never happens when the gun is together.

Overall, for a GI 1911, costing less than $500, I'd say I got a pretty good gun. It's not a Colt or a Kimber, but it works, groups well enough for me, and seems very rugged and reliable. Not like the rest of the reviews I had read about the AO's before Kahr took them over. They sounded horrible to me. By the way, mine is Post-Kahr takeover. I don't have quite the experience with other 1911's to make my own comparisons, as this is my first, but others who have shot my AO as well as other 1911's have said that it performs just as well if not better than others. So if you see one at a store someday, give it a shot, you might just be surprised.

(York County)

Default Re: Update on my Auto-Ordnance 1911A1

My first 1911 model pistol was an Auto-Ordinance. It may not have been as refined as the (same era) Colts were, but the trigger was great and it was as accurate as stock Colts were.
    I wish I'd kept it...
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Westmoreland County)

My first 1911 was a Kahr AO 1911A1 too. I had a lot of fun with it, and learned about 1911's by experimenting on it. I ended up trading it on a Kimber, but I would reccomend a Kahr AO to anyone wanting an inexpensive, base model 1911.

(Westmoreland County)

If that's a pre-Kahr and made by Thompson. The first thing to happen the front sight will fly off. Buy a couple extra ones and make sure the replacements are staked in properly. My last one is still loose. Sear will break and probably the grip safety will quit working. It does have a smooth trigger. Mine sits in the gun cabinet, I seldom shoot it. I was going to have it worked on to try and make a race gun out of it, but 2 guys wern't familiar with Thompson so they turned me down. Have fun with it but you can't shoot 1000+ rounds without something happening.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbgpride View Post
    Just wanted to let you guys know how this gun fared out for me. I picked it up several months ago, and I have about 500 rounds through it. (Not my choice to have that little through it, but ammo's kinda scarce!)

First in the beginning, it gave me some trouble with the wad-cutters. Had a bunch of FTE and loading issues. Really got me down on the gun. But it seemed sturdy, got some good advice from some people on here and kept with the gun.

I'm friends with my gun dealer, so he gave me a few hand loads to get the gun broken in. They were pretty hot if I do say so myself. Then I fired through about 100 rounds of the 230 grain ball ammo. Flawless.

For the next 350 rounds or so, I kept on using the 230 grain ball and have yet to experience a single problem. Also went through a box of hollow points, and there was no problems with those either. Each time I shoot I go through between 30 and 50 rounds. I just shoot out back of my house so it's just a convenience and fun thing.

Normally I'll shoot at around 15 yards with the gun, sometimes out to 20. My groups have been between 3 and 5 inches freehand. Occasionally I'll have a stovepipe, but I also chalk that up to bad marksmanship. *user error. I'm just as accurate with this gun as my Beretta 92fs, so that tells me that it must be user error for not getting smaller groups. I'll have to post some pictures soon.

On the Mechanical side, the gun seems very well made. Parkerized finish that hasn't come close to rubbing off or rusting. I've have a bit of rust on the mags that were stored with it, and not a bit on the gun, so that's a good sign for me. (I try to wipe my guns down at least every 2 weeks, but this humidity killed me). The slide feels a bit loose, but that's to be expected with a GI 1911. I personally prefer that and have come to really like it. The trigger breaks clean every time, nothing rattles when it's shaken and it's eaten every mag I've stuck in it. All good signs for an inexpensive gun. I haven't had to replace anything to see if fitting would be needed, but I'll expect a little as with any 1911. Everything seems very standard and well made. The only issue I've had at all with mechanics was that the barrel link pin seems to fall out easily while the gun is apart. Any suggestions for that? Never happens when the gun is together.

Overall, for a GI 1911, costing less than $500, I'd say I got a pretty good gun. It's not a Colt or a Kimber, but it works, groups well enough for me, and seems very rugged and reliable. Not like the rest of the reviews I had read about the AO's before Kahr took them over. They sounded horrible to me. By the way, mine is Post-Kahr takeover. I don't have quite the experience with other 1911's to make my own comparisons, as this is my first, but others who have shot my AO as well as other 1911's have said that it performs just as well if not better than others. So if you see one at a store someday, give it a shot, you might just be surprised.
    Do you have a safe or a gun cabinet? I had the same problem since my safe is in the basement. I bought a Golden Rod and have never had any rust since. Midway has one for $25, check it out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...campaign=10615
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks yoder, I'll have to look into that. I'm using wood and glass gun cabinet. I've been using damp rid for the past few months. Not too shabby with the results.

By the way, love the quote at the end there, great movie!

And my AO is made after kahr took over, AO I don't experience the things that others did.

Thanks everyone else for your replies. Always good responses at pafoa!

(Monroe County)

Thumbs up Re: Update on my Auto-Ordnance 1911A1

This is also the gun I purchased just recently as my first handgun as I wanted a 1911 but didnt want to drop the cash for a Kimber as my first purchase. I have owned it for a few weeks and Have dropped about 250 rounds through it without any sort of jam. Im very happy with this gun and have had a lot of fun shooting it the first few times I took It out.

(Adams County)

your ao is everybit the gun a kimber is. you are just not paying for the name. take the money you would spend on a kimber and get a reloading outfit. then start shooting that is the secret to having a good pistol. that is shooting it a lot you don't need bells and wisels and bling. you need to shoot it

(Lackawanna County)

I love the AO 1911A1, looks great, feels great in my hands, and it's been pretty damn accurate for me at 15 yards. Got the look of a relic from Bastogne or Okinawa without having to worry about 70- year old parts failing. love it.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Chester County)

Glad to hear from other A.O. M1911A1 owners. I've had mine nearly 3 years and have put close to 2000 rounds of ball ammo through it. Never a single problem. She ran fine out of the box from day one. Funny how the initial couple of FTEs go away once you learn to not limp wrist it. Great gun and very happy with it. Really tired though of hearing the tired litany of negatives. Definitely not my experience. Great gun, made in America matters to me.
    K20Bob