Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default One of those days I should have stayed home..lol

Well, I went shooting today and it all just turned to crap.
    First I went to the 5 stand field to shoot some clays and after about 5 shots the bottom barrel on my Browning wouldn't fire. No dent on the primer so I'm thinking the firing pin broke. This was one of the few times I didn't take 2 guns. Figures, right?

So now I figured I'd go down to the pistol range for a while since shooting clays wasn't going to happen. I pulled out my Colt Targetsman .22 that my dad had bought in the early 70's and started doing some practice to shoot steel plates on Wednesday night. I get through about 80 rounds and I notice my shot group is creeping to the right. I look at the sights and discover the barrel has started to rotate to the left. Now it's locked up at about 11:30.
    So I put the Colt away and break out one of my 1911s in 9mm. Things are good for about a half a box of ammo and now the gun won't go into battery. I couldn't find my LED light so I really couldn't see anything, so I just put it away and figured this just wasn't my day.

I discovered later at home that I had a squibb round and the bullet had lodged just into the rifling but back far enough to keep the gun from going into battery. {thank god} Only positive thing to happen all day. I didn't blow up the gun or myself.

Oh yeah and to top it off, after dinner I went out to get my phone which I left in the van and found out I had a flat tire!
    I didn't see a black cat today and I didn't walk under a ladder or anything. Some days just aren't worth getting out of bed for......lol.

I'm still a little shaken thinking about that squibb stuck in the barrel.....
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Chester County)

Default Re: One of those days I should have stayed home..lol

Glad you didn't get hurt. Did the squib sound odd when the round went off? Luckily I've never experienced one, but I've been told they sound much different (quieter?) than a normal round.

(Cumberland County)

Sounds like a shitty day. Good thing your gun didn't go into battery. The chance of a squib scares the hell out of me.

(Bucks County)

Wow what a rotten day but like you said,at least you were spared bodily harm from the squib. Wouldn't you like to be able to have a do-over on days like that ?
    Jesus is Lord !

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    Glad you didn't get hurt. Did the squib sound odd when the round went off? Luckily I've never experienced one, but I've been told they sound much different (quieter?) than a normal round.
    I didn't pick up on it, cause another shooter was blasting away next to me with a .40cal and just didn't hear it.
    I'll be watching for the rounds to hit the sand in the back stop for now on, that's for sure....lol.
    BTW, tire's fixed and I put new firing pins in my Browning. The Colt will have to wait and go to the pistol doctor.....
    I guess sooner or later you have to expect something to go wrong. It just happened all at once!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

So glad that you had the sense to pack it up. WOW,,,, just wow. Glad that nothing happened. You are a lucky man,,,,, buy some lottery tickets.

George
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

I had a squibb .45 in my Kimber a few months ago, scared the hell out of me too. Lucky for me as well, the gun wouldn't go into battery.

Was it a reload or factory load? Ammo type?

(Clarion County)

I see you're a senior member as myself,hopefully the most of those days are behind us.

Glad you didn't blow your ass up,scarey stuff !