Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default What if you're out and about with your gun and someone wants to fight you?

I am a very non violent person. I never ever start fights or want anything to do with them. But i am 6'4 and weigh 230 lbs, so when some tough guy jerk is out looking to prove himself they normally think because of my size i want to fight. But i never do! I am a very peaceful man. What if one day im out minding my own business and I have my gun on me and some nut wants to fight me. Do i run away and not say anything or can i calmly alert the man I am carrying a firearm and cant get into trouble. And what if he starts attacking me for no reason am i allowed to take out my gun? I mean what do you do if you have a gun and someone starts throwing punches at you? Even if you fight back you can get in trouble with the law and if you have a gun on you when the cops pull up to break the fight up I imagine you will be in even more trouble.

Default Re: What if you're out and about with your gun and someone wants to fight you?

Law says you must retreat if you can with absolute safety, or something along those lines. I don't think you would ever be able to draw unless you can prove that you were in fear for your life, though switching from CC to OC can always be an option.

Some of these scenarios are so situational and it's a split second decision, though if possible, fleeing is certainly the safest choice from a legal standpoint.
    Last edited by zackattack784; September 9th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What if you're out and about with your gun and someone wants to fight you?

Why not just walk away? If you have a gun and get into a fight because the other guy is "just itching" for a fight, you might wind up being the loser.

(Allegheny County)

If I where you I would look into taking one of the firearms law courses gunlawyer hosts.

When I took the FIRE inst. 3-day basic tactical pistol class with Giles Stock this year we had a face to face Q&A session with a lawyer. I would not presume to translate and regugitate that information for you in this setting, it is complicated and full of pitfalls. I strongly suggest you seek someone competent to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Boerboel View Post
    What if one day im out minding my own business and I have my gun on me and some nut wants to fight me. Do i run away and not say anything or can i calmly alert the man I am carrying a firearm and cant get into trouble.
    Telling someone you are in a confrontational posture with that you are armed is incredibly stupid. Keep it to yourself unless you need to use it.

And what if he starts attacking me for no reason am i allowed to take out my gun? I mean what do you do if you have a gun and someone starts throwing punches at you?
    You can use your gun for self-defense if you reasonably believe that you are in immediate danger of dieing or suffering serious bodily harm. That is the legal standard against which your actions will be judged. The totality of the circumstances will be looked at. You're 6'4" and 240, so I would say if a drunken 150 pound guy with no weapon tried to slap you in a bar because he didn't like the song you put on the jukebox, you would have a tough time justifying shooting. If however there were two 160 pound young men with a bad attitude on a deserted street corner in a bad neighborhood who demanded your ATM card and pin#, while pummeling you, I think you'd have a better chance.

Even if you fight back you can get in trouble with the law and if you have a gun on you when the cops pull up to break the fight up I imagine you will be in even more trouble.
    Oh, you're going to get into trouble no doubt. You may have to go to court, pay lots to lawyers, etc. etc. That's why you should de-escalate whenever and where ever possible. The only good reason to fight is because you had no choice, and the only real reason to shoot is because the alternative is totally unacceptable (like death).

(Lackawanna County)

I know your always suppose to walk away, what im saying is worse case scenario some guy just doesn't let it go. You try to walk away and he follows you and spins you around. Lets say hes being really hostile. Lets also say hes drunk or a drug addict. what if hes walking up to u throwing punches can u pull out a gun and say ur calling the cops? Like seriously worse case scenario the guys unarmed but trying to tangle with you if you run away he can catch you with your back turned and hurt you even more.

(Lackawanna County)

Dont get me wrong i dont go around with a gun looking for a fight its just a question everyone thinks about and was wondering if any one knows what to do. Like if theres two thugs saying they are about to beat the shit out of you because they are just bad dudes. What can you do? Im not even say shoot at them but if someone is crowding ur space and backed u into a corner can u pull out ur gun? I seriously never look for fights or want anything to do with them its just some people think they are big tough guys and when ur actually big people think your one of them and stare you down a lot more. I dont know why its pretty lame.

(Washington County)

Two things.

One: if you have to defend yourself from an attack then you have to defend yourself from an attack. You are not supposed to stand there and be beaten upon by some lunatic. It is okay to defend yourself. You will not be 'in trouble'.

Two: if you are legally carrying a firearm and the police show up you will not be 'in trouble' either.

However, I would not present my weapon unless I feared for my life. I do not personally believe it is a good idea to flash your firearm to diffuse a potentially violent situation. That's my opinion. Some would disagree and well... that is their opinion.

PS: If no one cites use of force laws by the time I finish my dinner, I will when I return.

(Lackawanna County)

so i mean lets say some crazy thug or multiple thugs make it clear they are gonna cause you great bodily harm i guess if your prepared to defend your honor in court you can pull out your gun right? Because I remember when that Nick DeNaples shot and killed some guys coming at him with baseball bats and was cleared with self defense. Is that just because his family owns the entire city or is that because it was clear he was gonna suffer great bodily harm.Like i know PA has a very thin line with self defense. Its not like good old FL where you can stand your ground. I have a clean record never broke a single law besides speeding which i paid for with a ticket. So i hope that if i ever have to use my gun in self defense the jury will realize im a good honest american and not some punk with a gun.

(Lackawanna County)

no doubt. If some drunk guy came over to me looking for a fight i would do everything in my power to say no but if he punches me in the face what are my options?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast