Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Steel reactive targets?

Are any of them any good?

I'm setting up a small backyard range and was thinking about getting one but need recommendations / advice. Would use mostly with handguns but also see some claiming to be good up to 30.06 (Can't be true, right?)

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Steel reactive targets?

I have a set I bought from Cabellas good for pistol calibers. It has two targets across the bottom and one on the top. When you hit the bottom targets they spin back and lock, then you shoot the center target on the top and they reset.

These seem very robust and have taken every pistol caliber I own and worked just fine unitl my uncle shot them with an AK/AR and anything else he can shoot 25yds, now they have holes in them.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lycoming County)

I recently held a "Freedom Festival" and one of my friends brought some from this place: http://targetsilhouettes.com/

We shot them with everything from '06 on down. .30 cal steel core not even a dimple. Many of the shots were DANGER close, I will not tell you how close as you would think we were goofy, but we were testing the targets and getting caught up in the excitement Needless to say, I was really impressed with them. Also, full disclosure, they are a local company that my friend works at so I am a little biased.

Another issue is the "gong" effect. I had neighbors up to 2 miles away report that they heard the ringing. One even drove around the hills and valleys to figure out what it was. He could not hear the gunfire, but he heard the gong. He then figured it out. He told me later that he thought they were setting up a gas well and started drilling, which is big in our area right now. We also estimated the round count for the day at 12,000-15,000 rounds. It went into the night. Oh yeah, you should see night fire on them, COOL!

Sorry for the long post, but I like metal (targets).

Be safe (and more than rock solid).

Scott

(Chester County)

You are a lucky man to be able to have your own range! I think reactive targets are great for training! Best of luck with your project. Post some pics when you have it finished.

(Bucks County)

I'm jealous. I wish I had enough property to set up a range. I want to have a shooting gallery with lots of cool things like glass (from a safe distance of course) and spinning metal targets to break.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Are any of them any good?

I'm setting up a small backyard range and was thinking about getting one but need recommendations / advice. Would use mostly with handguns but also see some claiming to be good up to 30.06 (Can't be true, right?)