Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Mandatory Training for CCW?

What do you guys think about this? I started thinking about this when replying to the CC on school property. Carrying a handgun is a HUGE responsibility and I've seen a lot of people that aren't smart enough to carry a letter opener let alone a handgun. Believe me I don't want any more firearms restrictions or rules but I think this makes sense. My God we even have to take a class to go hunting but not to carry a gun around concealed. Right now you can go to the gun shop, buy one and get you're CCW all without ever firing a gun. That is kind of scary. Not all people are responsible gun owners that take classes, train, read books, practice. Some people are just stupid and lazy. I think it would be good to teach people gun safety, basic skills, and also all of the legal issues that go along with carrying and when it's legal to use dealy force. I never used to think this way until spending a lot of time at the public range and witnessing unbelievable acts of stupidity.

This is a completly different issue than buying a gun in my eyes. I don't think you should need anything to do that. I don't know if lawmakers would see it that way so this could be detrimental to gun owners.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Mandatory Training for CCW?

If training is mandatory, an administration could easily circumvent the law by making the test impossible to pass or only offering the class the 5th Wednesday of the month at 2:30 AM.

Personal responsibility is just that, PERSONAL. Let's start holding folks responsible for themselves.

(Tioga County)

There are several old threads on this topic.
    My answer is the same as it has always been. NO! I highly recommend you get all the training you can afford and practice, practice, practice.
    USNRET '61-'81

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    If training is mandatory, an administration could easily circumvent the law by making the test impossible to pass or only offering the class the 5th Wednesday of the month at 2:30 AM.

Personal responsibility is just that, PERSONAL. Let's start holding folks responsible for themselves.
    Good response. I agree with what you're saying about the test, but we have to take a test to drive a car and to hunt, why not to carry a gun around Walmart? I agree it's your responsibility to be safe but not everyone is responsible.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Indiana County)

I've seen a lot of people that aren't smart enough to carry a letter opener let alone a handgun.
    Following your logic, then, we should start regulating letter openers.

If someone purchases a gun and has no training, whether they keep it at home or carry it around, if they misuse it, then shame on that person. Don't lump every gun owner in with that person.

As stated, it's PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ONE'S OWN ACTIONS - in other words, grown-up stuff.

(Westmoreland County)

No mandatory training to obtain a LTCF.

(Northampton County)

I agree with all of the above posts...I personally recommend getting as much training as possible, practicing, and learning about your responsibility...

However, it should not be the job of the government to regulate training for this any more than they should require bicycle licenses or regulate what type of haircut you can get for safety purposes...it is your responsibility and it should not be turned over to the government.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Amen

5 more
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Venango County)

It's not that training is bad. It is that regulating an inherent right, is. Or should we use the term infringing upon?

The idea is, if someone threatens you now your sensible rules will require a waiting period to get a firearm, a waiting or lead time to get a LTCF and more lead time and expense to get 'official' training.

If you are poor, you are screwed. Trouble reading? Sorry. Not good on testing? Oh, well. Badguy snuff you out before you could get a defense going? Sorry. Not our fault nor the gov'ts. Thems the rules and it's zero tolerance. Better you die than we allow the possibility that someone accidentally hurts someone.

Oh, and you are more likely to shoot when hunting than use a weapon defensively and the game belongs to the state. Hunting is not a right. Can I hunt on my property without a license? (Exception only for active farm)
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Good response. I agree with what you're saying about the test, but we have to take a test to drive a car and to hunt, why not to carry a gun around Walmart? I agree it's your responsibility to be safe but not everyone is responsible.
    Driving is the difference between a privilege and a right. Drive on your own land and you don't need a license.

I disagree with the whole concept of hunting licenses, tests and "The King's deer."

Punishing everyone because some are irresponsible is not the proper way to run the Nation.Hold irresponsible people accountable for themselves. Leave me alone.

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast