Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Mandatory Training for CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    No need to make up any theoretical threat. Just say Rodney King and you have a real case where a significant number of people actually felt the need to get armed for their own protection and could not do so because of all the licensing and waiting and whatnot in the way.

Jan
    This is very true. I was trying to make it more personal, though. Many people will think that riots cannot happen in their town. Of course, they could argue that no one would ever want to kill them either. But most unarmed victims who have had an attempt made on their life have believed the same at one time.

Whether a group or an individual is the actor, an unarmed victim has no chance. Training requirements help ensure the actor is armed and the victim was not.

But the Rodney King case or the threatened rioting of the OJ trial were important real-life examples. What would have happened if OJ was not successful at the first criminal trial, I wonder?
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Many people will think that riots cannot happen in their town. Of course, they could argue that no one would ever want to kill them either. But most unarmed victims who have had an attempt made on their life have believed the same at one time.
    Riot or personal threat, I think it is safe to say that most people, who have not experienced either, will tend to think it is unlikely. If only because the human brain assumes that, which is favorable, more likely. For some unknown, insane reason.

Fact is that there is a real probability that I become a victim of a home invasion right here, right now. The probability is small, compared to the PA average. But it isn't zero. So is it really paranoia to carry my gun, in my home, right now?

I don't think so.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Bucks County)

Taken from another thread to illustrate what antis mean when thay talk about compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Thompson View Post
    It's a good, but sad read. I lived through the final part of it as we went from extremely controlled to banned under the last conservative and following labour governments.

The main thing to take from it is that the reigns were tightened through the cumulative effect of successive "reasonable" compromises. But those compromises were all in one direction. There was never give and take, only take.

Divide and Conquer. Remember this - don't let anyone use it against you. OC or CC, 'sport' or self defense. Don't fall for the anti's tricks and bicker amongst yourselves to the detriment of all. Have a united front. The NRA seems to have finally learned that playing the 'sport' card is not a good way to go. My personal belief is that there is only one good card to play - self defense - it's really hard to argue against it especially when you are sitting behind bodyguards carrying guns. If guns aren't necessary for effective self defense, why do police/FBI/Secret Service personal protection units carry them? Or are politicians somehow "better than us" and "deserve better protection" than ordinary people? See how far that attitude will get you in the next election

The media played a big part in raising the fears of the general public. Remember the public generally (as here) has little to do with guns, and generally see's them as the tools of the police and criminals. It's amazing that guns weren't blanket banned after Hungerford - the tabloids and opposition (at that time Labour) were screaming for it. Luckily at that point some sense still prevailed. Unfortunately after Dunblane, the Bolsheviks finally got their way and removed guns from the general public. (They've also successfully banned mace, oc spray, knives, and pretty much anything that could be used as a weapon). Remember, the State is there to protect you. Of course I could also go on to how the Labour party has wrecked our Parliamentary system, effectively removing the balances that are supposed to exist, and abusing the Parliament Act to get their way. All this under the hands of Tony Blair, that man America loved so much...

The Bolsheviks are in control now, and have so far successfully dismantled the checks and balances that were supposed to have existed, used "reasonable" legislation to get their way sweeping aside those who stand in their way. The country is now effectively run by the Politbureau (I mean Cabinet), who have turned the country in to an effective police state where the State will provide you with Safety, Security, blah blah blah.

Glad I got out of there when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    If training is mandatory, an administration could easily circumvent the law by making the test impossible to pass or only offering the class the 5th Wednesday of the month at 2:30 AM.

Personal responsibility is just that, PERSONAL. Let's start holding folks responsible for themselves.
    Big +1

Where in the 2nd Amendment does it say anything about classes anyway?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaProgrammer View Post
    msquaredserver,

Since we are on the topic of training, I recommend that you read this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/641...xperiance.html
    That was a good post. I've been training with IDPA and target drills (not just slow fire) at the range, but I really should look into formal training.
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142