Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Mandatory Training for CCW?

I'm kind of torn on the issue...

On the one hand...we dont need yet another infringement...just the fact we need a permission slip to enjoy a right is too much...(does official oppression fit this? )

but

on the other hand...some mandatory training....Hunter Ed, Nra Basic, etc...would almost surely increase our # of states with reciprocity...

(Schuylkill County)

A simple NO will do for me. its a bad idea and one i would never support, first they make you take a class then they tell you well since you want to enjoy this privilidge then you need to only carry this type of gun, wont work cant be good and will not be supported.

(Lehigh County)

I am all for training - it is the responsible thing to do for yourself and others. But that is where it stops. The government (in PA at least) is specifically restrained from violating your RIGHT to keep and bear arms - and in addition had the foresight to consider it "forever inviolate". Would I support the dispensation of state funds to provide free or subsidized education for firearms - Yes. Would I make a state dictated course a prerequisite, NEVER.

Keep in mind these roles - the constitution is the chain that restrains a growing tyrant. A law is the deprivation of a right, often one usurped because you never agreed to surrender to the government for the common good in the first place. Each law provides another link of chain to the tyrant.

(Pike County)

I'm "on the fence" about this. Dont like more gov't involvment, but if it would open up "National Carry" it might not be so bad.
    Just my .02 worth,
    hgsw67

i don't think that it should be mandatory just highly encouraged. I just wish that it was easier to find and get into a class. Maybe if their were programs sponsored by police departments that taught NRA Basic Pistol that could help more people be able to get into a class, of course as long as laws are properly taught and opinions aren't inserted into the classes. But I hear that happens at some ranges anyway so it couldn't hurt.

(Philadelphia County)

It's a red herring...the problem ain't there to solve, just like most gun right issues. Until you can prove convincingly that lacking CCW training increases incidents of ND AND CCW trainings eliminate irresponsible behaviors, you absolutely have no case base on your personal observations. Even with driver licenses, there are many who have no business or should have the privilege to drive that still get them AFTER extensive re/training.

Al

(Bucks County)

Mandatory training? No way.

Setting aside my aversion to and disgust with gov't intrusion in all aspects of life, just looking at it as a practical matter, mandatory training doesn't do anything.

States that require applicants to take some half-assed, so called 'training' course in order to qualify for concealed carry don't have a lower firearm accident rate. A tiny fraction of their licensed individuals still commit crimes. The standards are typically very low, so 'students' don't really learn anything useful.
    Acquiring a license or permit is usually an expensive, lengthy, inconvenient prospect.

Mandatory training is an ineffective 'solution' to a nonexistent problem. It's all cons and no pros.

sure, right after we make parenting classes and licensing mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    sure, right after we make parenting classes and licensing mandatory.
    Don't forget the License To Have Faith (LTHF).

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Chester County)

My biggest issue with what you propose is WHO does the training? I have met far to many "trainers" that didn't know shit about the topics they were teaching yet they were NRA instructors. I believe the burden lies with the individual not the government. Personal responsibility goes a long way. If you are a responsible gun owner you WILL seek out the best training that you can afford and you will also practice, practice and never stop learning or practicing.

I have discarded much of what I learned in training while at GMC because the methods that were being taught in the 80's IMHO are out dated compared to today's techniques...

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast