Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default places to visit in Philly??

so it looks like im finally gonna be making my way to philly for thanksgiving...

how cold will it be(i wear short almost year round here in GA :P )

i was looking at this list anything i should catch specifically?? and any tourist place that will be off limits to carry?? anywhere you should only CC i figure ill have a jacket but will need to remove in buildings etc and will be carrying OWB.

http://www.gophila.com/C/Things_to_D...lphia/211.html

(Delaware County)

Default Re: places to visit in Philly??

Philly isn't much to look at anymore...

I'm sure you chould check out the liberty bell and the franklin institute.

Maybe the Philadelphia Zoo?

http://www.ushistory.org/tour/tour_bell.htm
    http://www2.fi.edu/
    http://www.philadelphiazoo.org/

as for Thanksgiving weather, you'll need at least a sweat shirt, but I'd recommend bringing a jacket. It 'should' be cold by then.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

Well if your going to Philly, I would CC regardless, but that is just me. LEOs usually give you a pretty hard time down there, wo OC. As for places you can't carry, almost all of the historical places are going to be consider federal buildings so no carrying there, but the zoo is ok.
    "

(Philadelphia County)

Here is some information about the National Historic Park (no carrying until 1/10) and where it is in philly - it's very easy to stray onto federal land by accident here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/philadelphia-...help-w-cc.html

(Philadelphia County)

If you're visiting for the first time, you have to try a cheese steak or two.

(Bucks County)

The only for sure way is to research every building that you will enter especially if you are going to center city.

This question has been asked countless times on this forum and there is no comprehensive list especially when it comes to FED, or National Park type buildings.

(Philadelphia County)

There is much to see in Philly.

For one, the historic area is awesome. See the places where it all went down. If are worried about carrying, and don't care much to see the inside of the building or the guided tour, then you can take a guided carriage ride. They are a LOT of fun, and will show you in 1hr what would take you all day to walk.

There is a viewing area at the very top of City Hall, just below the feet of the Penn statue. This costs $5 and its totally worth it. You'll see the entire city from up there.

There is another viewing spot at the Kimmel Music Center, its much nicer, but nowhere as cool as the city hall one.

Without a doubt, all the museums are top notch. Especially the Art Museum.

I've been to the zoo several times, I always found it to be very lame. Either animals are not there, or they are sick, or there is generally not much to see.
    Don't get suckered into the "Feeding the Lions/Tigers" show. They just throw meatballs at them, and they lethargically get to them. Very boring indeed.

Definitely get yourself a cheese steak. Anywhere you go in the city should be good. I recommend Geno's corner in South Philly. Or Jim's on 5th and South st.

Don't let the paranoid scare you, Philly is not that dangerous for tourists so long as you don't go too north of Market St, or too South off Washington Ave. Stick to Center CIty, Old City and its immediate surroundings and you'll be just fine. Don't look for trouble, or you'll find plenty of it. If you are driving, make sure you don't get yourself confused and cross the bridge into Camden, NJ. That place is a shit-hole any way you look at it.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

the carriage ride will probably be best as i had motorcycle wreck a while back and cant walk all day :P

(Philadelphia County)

Reading Terminal market is a cool foodie / farmer's market. Much of it shuts down on Sundays (including all the Amish stuff) but any other day I recommend the Dutch Eating Place. I personally rate their cheesesteaks above the Pat's / Geno's ones. I do like the Italian market area in general, though. There's some nice coffee shops and delis, and even a shooting range!

I like the whole Old City area, not just the Liberty Bell block. The Constitution Center is cool but no carry is allowed. There's also the first post office, which has a small museum, and Christ Church where Ben Franklin is buried.

Hop across to Camden and you can visit the USS New Jersey. Of course you are in Jersey so no carry of any kind is allowed. But if you are into naval history I recommend taking a tour. On the Philly side there is the seaport museum, which is "free" (donation only) Sundays 10-12. They have the oldest surviving steel ship Olympia and a WWII diesel sub Becuna on display.

(Philadelphia County)

I always say this....
    I've been to 30 countries and 120+ cities around the world and Philadelphia is one of my top 5 favorite cities! Along with many historic offerings are cultural events, restaurants, bars, clubs, among other things. Most of all, while it has some quirks with gun laws, it's subjected to PA preemption for all gun laws; therefore, it's one of the legally gun-friendly big cities in the country.

It will be cold in November so dress up warmly. It's somewhat of an unfortunate time to be here because all of the cool events happen mostly in the summer are done. Here's my list of things to do in Philly (in no specific order):

1. Art Museum & Fairmount Park. Go to the back and checkout the areas next to the river. There are a few decent bars on Fairmount Ave that serve decent food and a decent selection of beers (London Grilll, Bishop's Collar, Bridgid's)

2. Franklin Institute. Check their scheduled events to see if anything may interest you. Love Park and City Hall are a few blocks away. From City Hall, walk on Walnut westward (with traffic) to Rittenhouse Square. If you're looking to dine in a good place, I'd suggest this area. Roy's Hawaiian and Tinto are a couple of my favorite places.

3. Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, & Old City area. I'm sure you'll figure out what to do there. A great cheap eat is Aromatic Cafe between 2nd and Front (closer to Front). Try their kebabs and shwarmas. Triumph brewery is nearby along with Eulogy, a Belgian beer place.

4. Chinatown & Reading Terminal Market. Sit down for some crispy Peking duck at Wong Wong on 10th & Race or get some fresh food at the market. Walk along 10th between Arch and Race and check out the various little shops. The Fieldhouse restaurant on 12 & Filbert is possibly the best place to catch sports. They have personal TV at each of the dining booth.

5. South Street & Penn's Landing. Start on 7th Street and walk east (with traffic), check out the shops along the way. At the end, past Front St., you'll see sign for Penn's Landing. The absolute best Thai place in Philly is Tamarind, betwen Front and 2nd St. It's also cheap. Try the red cilantro duck, you will not regret it. Best of all, it's BYOB so bring a bottle or 2.

6. Pats and/or Geno's if you really care for cheesesteak. While you're in South Philly, check out the Italian market on Saturday. Not really exciting for me, but if you're looking to kill some time and get stuck in double-parked traffic. In that area, Pho Ha on 11th and Washington is the best Vietnamese restaurant in town.

7. The Piazza in Northern Liberties and the many excellent bars in the area. The Swift Half inside the Piazza is my favorite. A quick and cheap grab is Rustica Pizza. If you're bored and not a clubby type, North Bowl is a great bowling place with 3 pool tables upstairs. Good beer selection too.

Philly parking can be nasty. The PPA is disgusting and unforgiving. Read the signs carefully, they are not very difficult to interpret. It may be worthwhile to get to Olde City by subway.

Avoid going anywhere north of Girard Ave, west of 40th St, north of Spring Garden past west of 5th street, and south of Washington ave for the most part.

You'll like Philly. PM me if you have any specific thing you want to do. Chances are, I can recommend something that you will like. Don't listen to the Philly bashers...they are just jealous

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; October 1st, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast