Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Warrior Mind Training/ US Army???

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2009090...08599192075300

Lets see: I can't yell, holler, scream, or raise my voice at todays soldiers because its troop abuse and demeaning. I can't make em to PT till they vomit, I can't keep after work for remedial training, I can't inspect their rooms without prior notification, usually 24 hrs. I can however make them write essays, which, most of them if they had paid attention in school would not be in the Army and its something written on the 2nd grade level, I can make them stand at attention for a few minutes before they complain of something hurting and require medical attention leading to a profile, I can but very rarely recommend discharge as unfit for service with at least 100 write ups for something or another and now this?

I can't for the life of me wonder who is really in charge of the US Military. Sucks ups wanting to make the next rank, civilians who have no clue, or is it some alien who likes to play games? I'm at a total loss as to what the purpose of this WARRIOR MIND TRAINING is supposed to accomplish except waste thousands of millions of dollars on something the Army used to do very well, train soldiers. The Army has now completely transistioned to the WARRIOR WORD. WARRIOR ETHOS, WARRIOR SONG, WARRIOR LEADERS, WARRIOR WARRIOR WARRIOR.
    I think we have done warn out the WARRIOR word. How about we bring back "REAL SOLDIERS" with real discipline and real standards...just an idea.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Warrior Mind Training/ US Army???

Has it really gotten that bad now ?
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Lancaster County)

Meditation is a very effective tool. if you really think about it all shooters do it. Have you ever cleared your mind and focused your breathing before a shot? That is a form of meditation.
    No longer posting

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2009090...08599192075300

Lets see: I can't yell, holler, scream, or raise my voice at todays soldiers because its troop abuse and demeaning. I can't make em to PT till they vomit, I can't keep after work for remedial training, I can't inspect their rooms without prior notification, usually 24 hrs. I can however make them write essays, which, most of them if they had paid attention in school would not be in the Army and its something written on the 2nd grade level, I can make them stand at attention for a few minutes before they complain of something hurting and require medical attention leading to a profile, I can but very rarely recommend discharge as unfit for service with at least 100 write ups for something or another and now this?

I can't for the life of me wonder who is really in charge of the US Military. Sucks ups wanting to make the next rank, civilians who have no clue, or is it some alien who likes to play games? I'm at a total loss as to what the purpose of this WARRIOR MIND TRAINING is supposed to accomplish except waste thousands of millions of dollars on something the Army used to do very well, train soldiers. The Army has now completely transistioned to the WARRIOR WORD. WARRIOR ETHOS, WARRIOR SONG, WARRIOR LEADERS, WARRIOR WARRIOR WARRIOR.
    I think we have done warn out the WARRIOR word. How about we bring back "REAL SOLDIERS" with real discipline and real standards...just an idea.
    If your next higher command supports you, you can do all of those things. So long as there is a "valid learning point" you can keep a soldier as late in the day as needed to push him/her to meeting the standard. I have been called on the carpet many times for to answer questions about the very things you mentioned you "can't do". When it was over and done with, I left the office with permission to "carry on". Its all about how you present your case to the commander.

There is a fine line between soldier development and abuse. I will use an example from my not too distant past. A soldier of mine we will call him SPC Snuffy failed the APFT. He was the first soldier of mine who failed the APFT since I took over as Platoon Sergeant 2 years prior. I formally counseled young SPC Snuffy and at the end of the session SPC Snuffy got a copy of FM 21-20 handed to him. (well more accurately thrown to/at him) He proceeded to tell the PL and Troop Commander how I abused him. I was called into the COs office for a "chat":

CO - SFC ReconLdr why did you abuse SPC Snuffy?
    Me - WTF are you talking about, sir?
    CO - Did you hit SPC Snuffy with an FM?
    Me - No sir, I did not. I simply threw it to him, not only can he not maintain the minimum standards for the APFT, his reflexes and motor skills suck as well.
    CO - Well he says you hit him with the FM.
    Me - No sir.
    CO - Well don't you think throwing an FM to/at a soldier is abuse?
    Me - No sir.
    CO - Well how would you describe your actions as anything but abuse?
    Me - Soldier development, nothing more. I simply expressed to SPC Snuffy the gravity of the situation. He must meet the standards or he will be counseled and retrained every month until he meets the minimum standard.
    CO - If that is soldier development, what is your definition of abuse?
    Me - Sir, abuse would have been if I taped it to a brick before I threw it.

After I was counseled for my counseling techniques, I was directed to use a more "text book approach". The commanders approach did not net the expected results, infact SPC Snuffy failed to make any progress at all. Less than 6 months later I was told the "leash is off" and I was put in charge of all the PT failures in the troop as an additional duty. With in 2 months we went from 24 APFT failures to 7. My CO never questioned my "methods" again.

YMMV, not all soldiers will respond to this type of treatment, but it worked for me.

Note: The conversation between the CO and myself happened a few years ago so it may not be exactly as posted but you get the point. I still have the 4856 in my files.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Meditation is a very effective tool. if you really think about it all shooters do it. Have you ever cleared your mind and focused your breathing before a shot? That is a form of meditation.
    No kidding. Sounds like people just want to complain about things in here.

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    No kidding. Sounds like people just want to complain about things in here.
    Surely is a great thing, medition...but again, what worked for 100 years just fine was taken away and replaced with...the same thing package different...makes sense to me..

Reef, its your tax dollars at work here...I'll still get paid to attend the classes, probably will learn something too but again, the thing just sold in a different package to the feel gooders who run things...IMHO.

(Luzerne County)

Not long after I graduated from basic training, the 'stress card' was introduced. If training personnel stress a trainee, they would whip out their stress card? WTF? What is the point of training, especially a place like basic. Later on as an NCO I had to deal with the 'stress card' crowd. I was not well liked, boo-hoo.

I can not imagine what it is like now, with the touchy-feelys in charge.

(Philadelphia County)

I bet the same things were said when the cat-o-nine-tails was taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I bet the same things were said when the cat-o-nine-tails was taken away.
    These idiotic ideas were not in effect, when the US saved Europes ass.....

Twice..........

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    These idiotic ideas were not in effect, when the US saved Europes ass.....

Twice..........
    Do you think the US couldn't save Europe again?

A lot of people talk about how the military has gone soft. I don't know first hand but from seeing what they do in Iraq and Afghanistan, they look plenty tough to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast