I'm new to the world of semi-auto pistols. I've bought one, SA, compact, 9mm, 8+1, for CC and I can understand that concept. I want to buy at least two others, 9mm, one CC for my wife and another high capacity for myself as a carry option.

I have had revolvers and I understand DA and SA in relation to that configuration, but the DAO in a semi-automatic does not make sense to me. Does it require the stronger hand/finger strength as does the DA in a revolver? Wouldn't that rule out any DAO pistols for my wife? Doesn't DAO affect the shooter's ability to be accurate?

I don't like DA for most revolver shooting, though I've seen a fellow at a local range who was sooo good in DA with a snubbie revolver. He outshot all the folks using a variety of semi-autos. I experience that my accuracy falls off badly when I go to DA with a revolver.

In any event, accuracy in a pistol may be moot point since some of the articles that I've seen indicate that self-defense events most often take place at "bad-breath" distances and point-and shoot is the only option.

Help me out here and clarify my fuzziness. :-)

Thanks,
Dan