Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ribfest Pat-Down (Pittsburgh)

We went to the Ribfest today at Heinz field.(Yes, where the Steelers play)

At all of the entry points there are "security" staff who check bags and such.

In past years, I've carried my Kel-Tec P32 IWB since it's the only thing light enough to carry when wearing my lightweight, hiking-style shorts with an elastic "belt".(Hey, it's RIBfest - I need room for expansion!)

On previous visits, they only checked bags, and never once gave me a second look as they looked in my wife's purse for weapons or perhaps a possible smuggled-in bottle of water.(You must buy their $5 lemonades - no food or beverages from the outside permitted)
    This year was a bit different, in that there was a male, and female "security person" at each entrance, and they asked the men to line up for the male to "check" them, and the women were"searched" by the female staffer.

"This should be interesting", I thought to myself, as I overheard the wife of a man ahead of us telling her friends, "He has to go put it in the car."

"OK sir, place your hands up like this for me", says the security guy as I step up to him. He proceeds to place his hands(and I believe he had them turned palms-out, using the back of the hand to do the "pat down")under my armpits, then just above my waist, then just below my waist, with the last two "pats" landing above, and below my handgun. "OK, next."

I took a few steps, met up with my wife and continued on into the event as my wife said quietly, "Are you carrying?"

"Yep", I said with a chuckle, and off we went to have some tasty ribs and pulled pork BBQ... and a $5 lemonade.

I'm sure people will feel much safer now that they have "beefed up" the security measures.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Ribfest Pat-Down (Pittsburgh)

Were they checking ankles or making people take their hats off?

I bet I could have got in with my buddy's .22 revolver belt buckle. Hidden in plain sight!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Were they checking ankles or making people take their hats off?

I bet I could have got in with my buddy's .22 revolver belt buckle. Hidden in plain sight!
    No. No, and probably.

I was going to wear my PAFOA t-shirt, but figured it may draw more attention to me at the entry checkpoint.

Note to self: Next year the Kel-Tec goes up front since he didn't seem interested in checking out my junk.

That is horrible security but good for you No hassles.

This security theater is, I think more about restricting food and booze. I go through the same thing for Eagles games, and they almost never find the J frame. If they do, I simply go to another entrance and get in there. Once I went to a concert wearing shorts. They were wanding people! I wasn't going all the way back to the car, so I put the piece under my foot inside the shoe, limped through security and made my way right to the bathroom where I retrieved the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    This security theater is, I think more about restricting food and booze. I go through the same thing for Eagles games, and they almost never find the J frame. If they do, I simply go to another entrance and get in there. Once I went to a concert wearing shorts. They were wanding people! I wasn't going all the way back to the car, so I put the piece under my foot inside the shoe, limped through security and made my way right to the bathroom where I retrieved the firearm.
    NOW that is truly being dedicated to 1) concealed carry 2) not giving up one's right to self defense.

^5 Buckeroo

They do the same thing at Giants Stadium. There they just touch you in a couple places, pockets and sides that is it. They are really just going through the motions and if you wanted you could get in with an ankle holster very easily.

As for the players, when they drive in to the parking lot the state police have them open their trunks and they inspect what is in the trunk. Go figure.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not directing this at anyone specific. So don't take it personally.

But I'm curious if an private establishment checks for a firearm, misses it and someone sneeks one in, could there be any criminal charges if discovered later while that person is inside?

Just wondering???
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I'm not directing this at anyone specific. So don't take it personally.

But I'm curious if an private establishment checks for a firearm, misses it and someone sneeks one in, could there be any criminal charges if discovered later while that person is inside?

Just wondering???

Could be.

That argument has been debated many times on this forum with valid points on both ends of the argument,(regarding "no guns" signage)yet nothing solid enough that I've seen to guarantee that either is correct. Much like the "school zone" thing.

All I know is that I've seen/been approached by some unsavory characters in the parking lot as I leave the event, and it clearly states that they are not responsible for your vehicle or it's contents.(nor do I feel it is appropriate to leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle)
    My decision is based mainly upon those two things.

Oh, and not that it matters, but I doubt I'd carry to a Steelers game. I think that if you were discovered to have a firearm in the stadium during a game, things would go a lot worse than if found while walking around outside with BBQ sauce on your fingers.

(Northampton County)

They do the same thing at Giants Stadium. There they just touch you in a couple places, pockets and sides that is it. They are really just going through the motions and if you wanted you could get in with an ankle holster very easily.

As for the players, when they drive in to the parking lot the state police have them open their trunks and they inspect what is in the trunk. Go figure.
    Is that for all the players or just Plaxico Burres??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast