Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Question Are we really being noticed?

I've hung around here for awhile, reading the good and bad OC experiences. I'm not posting about it but I'm OCing more and more in quite a few locations. I'm happy that I haven't run into a bad experience and I'm extremely happy that no one seems to notice my handgun. Honestly, I'm still a bit nervous and you'd think it would play into the whole being noticed thing. Nervous people usually seem to stick out in small crowds.

All of the OCing I've done thus far, I'm wearing blue jeans, a t-shirt and boots or… today I wore sandals. I stopped at a few yard sales, a gas station for coffee, 2 antique shops and a grocery store. For the most part, I still refrain from a lot of direct eye contacts, but to tell you the truth, I believe I've always been that way and I'm just now noticing that about myself. It's no big deal but it's funny that OCing is teaching me these little things about my body language that I've never thought about before.

With what little I'm bothering to observe, more and more I'm leaning towards the conclusion that a large majority of people aren't noticing that I'm OCing. Of course, I live in a rural area and I'm sure that's a factor. I'm reaching 50 years old and I have short hair, but I'm built small, unlike a LEO. I'd say I'm more extroverted then not. These all have to be a factor, but even with those, I expected more people to notice and I'm glad they haven't.

Now here's something funny. I'm a painter by trade. I wear white pants and shirts with paint all over them. I gave up alcohol in 1999 but in all of my years of painting, I know for a fact that quite a large number of people tend to think of painters as heavy alcohol consumers. I've yet to OC wearing my paint clothing and it's going to take some courage to get beyond that fear. The fear being someone yelling "LOOK, THERE"S A DRUNK WITH A GUN!"

I was going to start a thread about work clothes and OC. I'm curious, does anyone else feel the same way about wearing certain types of clothing while OCing? For me it has the same feel as umm… going to church wearing a bathing suit, or the like.

Anyway, I don't feel like I'm alone thinking these things, and I'm sure they'll all come to pass, but I'm curious of others thoughts about the whole ball of yarn. Are we really being noticed?

Default Re: Are we really being noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    I know for a fact that quite a large number of people tend to think of painters as heavy alcohol consumers.
    I've never once heard that in my life

+1 on the OCing

(Northampton County)

I've known two painters and both were drunks

(Delaware County)

Now that I'm back to work thank you very much! I take my firearm with me to work everyday. I'm a carpenter by trade. It has been uneventful so far. {1 month}
    I look pretty ragged by the end of the day, but I've not had any strange looks. I get looks, but no different than I get when I'm in clean cloths. Most people are to busy with thier own lives and running around to really notice or care IMO.
    As for talking to people, I tend to talk to people more now then I use to.
    It will get easier, the more you carry. I was nervous everywhere I went in the beginning. I have been a little uneasy as of late since I've been carrying at work in south Philly. I don't like the city and never have.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I started painting in 1979. Out of all the painters I've met, I'd say roughly 70% of them were heavy drinkers, 20% were under the influence of something, the other 10% were drunk bosses.

Roofers are in a separate class altogether LOL.

going to church wearing a bathing suit
    The Church I attend, if you were comfortable going like that, I don't think anyone would say squat against it.

There was one guy that said the only way he'd attend is if he had a six pack with him. The minister bought him the six pack and had an usher bring him another cold one when he finished one off.

[don't challenge our minster unless you plan on following through]

To say my church is progressive is an understatement, it's aggressive.

I've seen more people touched by this place than any other church I've attended.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but it made me think of this:

I was drawn to OC because I used to be a bit of an attention whore many years ago LOL, but the last few years I have become such an introvert, and I get so nervous about going out in public OC, that I can only do it with someone else to enourage it and give me a mental lift. Yes I actually enjoy talking to friendly people and the like, but for some reason I just don't care to like I used to. I even used to drive places and not mind it if it was a 30-45 minute drive or I had to go on I83, but these days I just can't go very far anymore.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(York County)

Never heard the Drunk painter stereotype before, but I usually will only OC if I look respectable. I guess I take comfort in the fact that If I look nice it will be harder for joe public to justify the fear of seeing a MWG. Now dont go thinking that I think OC should have restrictions, as I certainly dont think it should. This is just how I do it for now because I'm new to it and still have some jitters about a possible bad encounter with said public or LEOs.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Delaware County)

I started painting in 1979. Out of all the painters I've met, I'd say roughly 70% of them were heavy drinkers, 20% were under the influence of something, the other 10% were drunk bosses.

Roofers are in a separate class altogether LOL.
    I think the heavy drinking stereotype can be applied to most construction trades workers, you know, hard work hard play ..... I was in construction for 20+ years, it certainly seemed that way. Myself, I've also been alcohol free since the mid 80's.

As for your OC experiences I believe some of the things you listed, like rural area, your age, short hair, how you carry yourself, etc., do play a part in what people notice.

Thanks for sharing your experience, if you look around this site you'll see a lot more just like it and we do have at least one fellow who goes to church while OCing with no problem.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Am I one of them? I was a painter during the 1990's and early 2000's.

Peddler mentioned 70% of them were heavy drinkers, 20% were under the influence of something, the other 10% were drunk bosses.

My experience was 75% heavy drinkers 24% under the influence of something, the other 1% went to meetings.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast