Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Anyone Else Crow Hunt?

Just checking in to see if anyone else has an interest in taking out these pests?

I went with a buddy from work for the first time last year and had a blast. It made me pick up an 870 and give it a shot this year. I've never hunted in my life. My father never did it and I never got into it.

However, if I end up getting laid off in October, I might just have to pick up a new hobby.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Anyone Else Crow Hunt?

We do up here. They have been our target of choice now that the groundhog population has been wiped out in the rural areas.

They are very smart critters, and I sometimes I believe they know what a gun is and what it does. lol I swear they will high tail it if they see you point a gun at them.

We shoot them on the ground in the fields with our varmint rifles. The black cloud effect is almost as rewarding as the red mist effect you get when popping a chuck with a .308, 45-70, or 45-120.

(York County)

remember to shop wal mart the day after halloween, picking up all of the realistic fake crows and owls you can get. place one fake owl in dead tree so that crows can't swoop it easily, and place 2-3 fake crows on adjacent branches. hide behind shed 30 yards away, wait 5 minutes. if you really wanna score, get a recording of calling crows to play in the background.

I've had to 'eat crow' before, does that count?

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Hunting crows with a shotgun is just too easy in my opinion, I'm one who likes to use a rifle and make the "black cloud/rain". I agree with knight, they know what a firearm is and they're ready to get the heck out of town if they see them.

(Monroe County)

Yes they definately know what a gun is, theyre very smart, they also know people, if you ever shot at them they'll know you and wont come onto your property.

I hunted them when i lived in New York City, i bought a use d Ruger 10/22 made in 1971, it came with a old Swift scope made in 1970, loaded with REmington Target ammo , that thing were razor sharp out to 100 yds, killed many a Crows and squierrels one shot off hand.

Crow shooting is fun.

Nyman
    Last edited by mrnyman; September 10th, 2009 at 01:11 AM.

(Fayette County)

I have with a bow (traditional bow, not a high speed compound that could get dangerous). It's pretty challenging. Use flu flu arrows and judo points. I have only ever got one, missed a few. It's hard sneaking into bow range. I used to use crows and groundhogs to practice my stalking skills, LOL.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Monroe County)

I'd really like to. Going for my education course next weekend, hopefully.
    Just gotta throw a shoulder stock on my 500A and hit the fields.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lebanon County)

Crows are extremely intelligent birds. I bought a Johhny Stewart electronic call last year and on the way home there were a flock of crow in a field. So for sh*ts and giggles I pulled over, opened the sunroof and played "come mere crow" Boy they got all excited for about 5 minutes and flew all around my Jeep.

I play it when ever I hear them off in the distance around the house. They won't come anywhere near the house though! They do fly around the house but always just out of range!

I remember once when I was a young'un, we were having a Bday party on the side of the house. My mom kept hearing a "kid" saying "HELLO" over and over several times. Finally she looked up on our nieghbors rooftop and there sat a crow. It WAS the crow saying hello. So, they can learn to talk too.

Even starlings can learn to talk.

(York County)

Some people eat the whistlepigs they take out, but does anyone eat crows?
    I've never heard of anyone eating a crow but I'd guess it's like a dove & people eat them.
    Anyway... Check out these pics... If only these two guys would practice more, maybe they'd be more successful! sheesh!

both pics from crowbusters.com

ETA:
    Answered my own question here:
    http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm
    Last edited by 87th PVI; September 16th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast