Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Anyone Else Crow Hunt?

nevermind...i looked into it.
    I got a question about crows routine. I go crow hunting and they fly low; the next day or weekend they fly high; go again and low. I read somewhere I beleive on crowbusters hwo they had picked spots out according to wind and weather or so on. What excactly does the wind have to do with how they fly? do they fly into the wind?

Also: I read on there that crows (flyway) is the same every day. Diff groups take diff flyways. I have been going to this spot for a while and they always came right over us< I also read that you shouldnt hunt right on the flyway. That might hav been my mistake. The last 2-3 times I have went, they no longer fly over. They are all around me but no longer fly over in groups like they did.

Does anybody have a good spot to hunt crows near the rivers. I know they roost there like mad. Mayby go on a hunt together or something. I want nonstop action. I love hunting crows but cant take shooting at only 5-6 a weekend now.

(Dauphin County)

I haven't had a good place to hunt crows in years but they have my total respect and fond memories. I still own my 'best' wooden crow call and if it comes up miss'in I'm fast after the little kid who made it gone! I used to go out hard after them shifty birds..even in the winter with my sheet. I sure miss trying to wind them up into a screaming, wirl-wind of black attack!

I go " Cruntin' " ... (crow huntin')

Take my smoked sausages,rolls, chips, a Snickers Bar and ice tea (the important stuff) .. box of ammo, calls, a little string ... I'm in good shape !
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

(Fayette County)

The Crow is one of the smartest birds around.
    They are birds who actually use tools.

I have nothing against hunting, but I have to ask, exactly how are crows considered "pests"?

After studying nature, I know that when you significantly decrease any local wild species it has a tremendous negative effect on the surrounding area.

For instance in parts of the west, people were killing off coyotes at such an alarming number, that the ground hog and rabbit population soared. Which in turn made the local farmers crops deplete significantly due to the increased numbers of rabbit and ground hogs eating the crops. Before that the coyotes hunted the rabbits and ground hogs and kept them in check.

In Australia, feral cats were largely hunted by the indigenous tribes, which in turn made the field mouse and rat population go out of control and there was an enormous rodent problem in the nearby towns and villages. And we all know that rats carry many different diseases.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    snip
    exactly how are crows considered "pests"?

snip
    They eat recently cast seed & seedlings, destroying crops.
    They gather in large numbers to roost & their droppings are acidic which damages paint on farm equipment, buildings & vehicles... also they are noisy & a large group can be very annoying to the farmer on who's property they decide to gather.
    They will attack & try to evict the hawks & owls that control the rodent population on a farm.
    They will destroy eggs & snatch chicks & ducklings from farms.

This all supposedly adds up to millions of dollars lost in crops, livestock & property damage every year in the USA.

They are also edible & while I believe in hunting them as pest control, I don't believe in hunting something you don't intend to use in some way either. About all you can do with a crow is breast it out, &/or use the feathers for tieing fish lures or something, but I am a firm believer in don't kill it unless you intend to use it.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Thumbs up Re: Anyone Else Crow Hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    Some people eat the whistlepigs they take out, but does anyone eat crows?
    I've never heard of anyone eating a crow but I'd guess it's like a dove & people eat them.
    Anyway... Check out these pics... If only these two guys would practice more, maybe they'd be more successful! sheesh!

both pics from crowbusters.com

ETA:
    Answered my own question here:
    http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

..... wow,87th, that's aaalllllottt of .. " Decoys "

... melt the barrel down ?
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

(Chester County)

Just wondering but what do you guys do w/ the crows after you've shot them? Since most don't eat them do you just leave 'em where they fall? Bag em up and throw them away?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by penutty View Post
    Just wondering but what do you guys do w/ the crows after you've shot them? Since most don't eat them do you just leave 'em where they fall? Bag em up and throw them away?
    Depends on how far away they are, how much is left of them, and what type of terrain it fell or exploded on.

If its a hay field I'll pick it up and place it elsewhere, you dont want cows eating bones.. If it is a tilled field or uncultivated lands I'll leave it lay.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Crow hunting is one of my favorite things to do in the off season. 36 grain varmint grenades in a 223 work good. In my 12 gauge, I use winchester super-X high brass #8s. They have good velocity and pepper them really well. My local crows know me and hate me. They love to explore the yard by the house along with making all kinds of noise. A single crow will always sit up in a tree and watch me through the living room window. If I get up, he calls and they all fly away. Often times when they feed in a field, one will remain in a tree watching for any danger. They're smart and are a close knit group of birds. Put on a ghillie suit sometime and get them really close to you. This works best in a thick hemlock forest. You're hear them talk to each other in really quite tones. It's almost as if they have they're own language. They are really smart birds. Older crows appear to have gained respect from the other ones. Shooting an older crow always fires them up more. If you get in a really good flyway, it is easy to go through a couple boxes of shells.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345