Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Anyone Else Crow Hunt?

i went today and was 1-8 i shot it and wounded it. so i let it squabble around, it def drew more birds in that were shot at. it made its way into the bush's and I couldnt find it when we left. I was gonna get a pic taken with my first crow to post. Well we couldnt find it, so my father in law and cousin are messin with me sayin no proof that I got one. hahah...very funny. all i know is that it was a blast and im addicted now....we went back to that spot we were yesterday and had to have at least 100 or more crows fly over. used about 30 sillohete decoys with a tape and they loved it. just updating.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigben07 View Post
    well...i went today for mayby the second time ever. I have never shot skeet or any other bird before. I did have a blast and missed every time. we found an excellent spot but sat the wrong way and they came from behind us. We are goin out early tomorrow for some more action. I have a 870 express magnum, can anybody give me some advise on where I should be holding at. mayby at a certain yardage as well just to give me an idea where to start. I beleive I was using 5 shot. I at least think I prob should use 7 1/2 or 8 (right?) but 5 i dont beleive will hurt anything. Im young and just started the sport but love it....just asking for some advise...thank you very much
    #7 1/2 shot is good for Doves & sporting clays. #5 shot is good for Pheasants. Crows are in between in size so while 7 1/2 should be fine, I'd go with #6.
    The smaller (higher number) shot you go, the more quantity of pellets you are throwing at the target, but the larger shot (smaller number) gives you the better killing power.

You should do some clay shooting to get an idea of how far to lead the target at certain distances & speeds, but a bird will always be a little different because they can be less predictable. Also the follow through on the sweep, stance, etc can all be practiced with sporting clays.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben07 View Post
    i went today and was 1-8 i shot it and wounded it. so i let it squabble around, it def drew more birds in that were shot at. it made its way into the bush's and I couldnt find it when we left. I was gonna get a pic taken with my first crow to post. Well we couldnt find it, so my father in law and cousin are messin with me sayin no proof that I got one. hahah...very funny. all i know is that it was a blast and im addicted now....we went back to that spot we were yesterday and had to have at least 100 or more crows fly over. used about 30 sillohete decoys with a tape and they loved it. just updating.
    Sounds like you have a good spot! Congrats on the first bird. My only critism would be your allowing the crow to suffer... I personally would have put the bird out of it's misery asap. Keep in mind that is my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. You asked for feedback & that's all I'm doing.

Have fun! & keep us posted on your future outtings!
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Washington County)

i appreciate your opinion and no offense takin...i do understand the shot number and wat exactly it means. does the heavy shot mean not as much spread as well? like a 5 wont have as much spread as an 8?....i understand the choke side of it as well but just wondering that?

The larger the shot number, the smaller the size of the individual pieces of shot. So for the same weight, there are more pellets in each load, but they will lose steam more quickly, and have less penetration on target. Assuming your gun/choke shoots the same size pattern with every size shot, smaller size (higher number) shot will have a denser pattern. Larger shot is the opposite.

Googling "shotgun patterning" gives these as some of the first few, and look like a good place to read more:
    http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....atterning.html
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/patterning_game_birds.htm

Sounds like you have limited experience with shotguns. If that is the case, I would really recommend you try out any of the clay-shooting games. It's a fun hobby, that's how I spend 95% of my range-time.

And what 87thPVI said above.

(Washington County)

well....I went again an was 2-6. my record is getting better. Im joining the arden gun club 5 min from my house next week. They got skeet and trap both, indoor pistol range and somthing else i think. $90 first year, half initiation, and $45 every year after. I figure Ill get some practice in and show off a little more when we go crowin again. I found a new hobby I really enjoy, just need some more practice and Ill enjoy it even more. Enclosed is a pic. The one on the left side(right hand) got it twice. I went to pick him up and about 1ft away from him I noticed he was still alive waiting to take my finger off. Thats why it might look a little rough in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(York County)

Great pic! Congrats!
    Now if you want to get adventurous breast them out & try one of these:
    http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Washington County)

LOL...I dont think I will be trying them any time soon. If someone else prepared them I would try it, but they get alot of smack talk on edibleness. (if thats a word)

Damn, noone hunts crows with a rifle anymore????

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Damn, noone hunts crows with a rifle anymore????
    i do, it's fun to hit one with a .300 win mag, big cloud of black when the bullet hits it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Washington County)

lol....not a .22 or anything / why not a .300 mag
    going again sat morning...update you with the kill count

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast