Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please help me choose which one!

Howdy y'all,

Hope y'all have a great day. I myself went to a couple shops and found these two guns:

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=373

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=16

They are in the 500 buck range. But I can only afford one. Anyone out there have one of these two, I would appreciate your comments on them.

Thanks,

1FingrCHan

(Blair County)

Default Re: Please help me choose which one!

don't have that exact springfield just a plain 1911A1
    like it no problems never a ftf did change grips from the factory plastic to hogue wraparound
    I just flew the Millennium Falcon through the hole in your logic 2A6X1

Post Re: Please help me choose which one!

I like Para's, but the link you provided shows it in green, I don't like green pistols just my .02, I also don't care for that style cocking serrations, they are a PITA if your hands get wet with sweat.

Have you ever shot an LDA before? That's another consideration, some people love them and some hate them, I like the LDA alot.

The Para has a beaver tail and better sights, while the Springfield your looking at may has the standard grip safety and "GI stubby"sights.

The new Paras have a new style extractor, so they are different from standard 1911s, this may lead to special requirements for gun smithing.

Both Para and Springfield have life time warranties IIRC, so you can't go wrong in that dept.

Right now I'm leaning towards Para, even if it is green.

Another thing I don't like about Para is that the "baked on" finish doesn't last very well at all.

The Springfield GI champ is a good pistol don't get me wrong, but it's bone stock.

Seeing as how your looking at a 4" Springer and a 4.25" Para, I'm guessing you plan on this being a carry gun?

***edited to add: On a side note, I've had four or five Paras, and no longer have one, however I've only had one Springfield, and have it still.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; June 23rd, 2007 at 07:06 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Luzerne County)

If it was my coin I would likely opt for the Para.

1. I like green
    2. Better sights
    3. I like the LDA trigger (for it's nice DA pull)

If you plan on upgrading modifying the gun much than I would say Springfield, more universal/USGI parts which makes mods much easier and cheaper.

There actually is no right or wrong answer here...both are superb guns.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Lycoming County)

Never forget that anything under 4.25" on the 1911 platform, is a crapshoot.

Of all the DA Semi-auto triggers out there, I like the LDA best (more often than not, needing a little work), but it's never as good as good'ole SA 1911 triggers (most Springers need a little work).

On the Springer, you ARE gonna get hammer bite, so you will want to swap out the grip safety and hammer, or at least knock down the hammer spur. Add that/those to the total cost. Since it's relatively mil-spec, assuming you get those two from SA, they should just drop in.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Monroe County)

What exactly are you planning to use the 1911 for? And do you own any other 1911's?

My thoughts are if you want a 1911 to start off with, to learn the gun, and to possibly upgrade in the future, the Springfield is the one you want. Besides, the SA is a 'true' 1911 with the single-action trigger. The Para is more of an oddball, though some will really like what it has to offer.

(Bucks County)

Of course the correct answer is to get them both!

We have quite a few 1911 experts here so I'll let them answer more intelligently. Just wanted to say that I have a Para (Stainless PRX745S) and I really like it. Very well built, shoots great and is way more accurate than the shooter.

Oh yeah, whichever you get don't forget the training

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Oh yeah, whichever you get don't forget the training

he he heh...

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bedford County)

SPRINGER.

IMHO the Para LDA is built for LEO's that love the 1911 handgun, but are not allowed to carry cocked n' locked.

I have no real experience with the Para LDA other than a magazine or two, but I have heard from a few people that they are not reliable in the long run. Take that for what it's worth.

The Springer is a classic 1911 style single action that will work fine as is...or can be modified as you wish.

As for reliability... the general rule of thumb with 1911's is that a Govt or Commander model will be much more reliable than the officers or Defender.

Any 1911 with a barrel 4" or longer that uses the standard style GI bushing will out perform a 3" or 3.5" bull barrel gun. The big issues here are travel distance of the slide, slide mass, barrel tilt angle for lock/unlock. The Springer Champion 4" has proven reliable...just as reliable as the Colt 4.25" Commander.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your comments/advice. I have never owned a 1911 style before so all your inputs are really helpful. BTW, Tanners got 11 (yup, 11 is right) P7 PSP "German police trade-ins" for sale at "good" prices right now. Just tell them 1FingrCHan sends you so I can get my cut, he he heh

And PhillyD, what? training? who needs it, eh...........guns are for look, not for shoot. He he heh.....

1FingrCHan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast