Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Shipping a handgun UPS

I want to send my M&P to a gunsmith in Pennsylvania for trigger work. Can an individual send a handgun at a UPS store or UPS Center. I know it must go overnight air. Will I have to declare that a gun is in the box when I ask for insurance? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Default Re: Shipping a handgun UPS

Quote Originally Posted by george58 View Post
    I want to send my M&P to a gunsmith in Pennsylvania for trigger work. Can an individual send a handgun at a UPS store or UPS Center. I know it must go overnight air. Will I have to declare that a gun is in the box when I ask for insurance? Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Last I tried UPS said no BUT FEDEX will take it

(Luzerne County)

Fed law requires non licensees to ship handguns via common carrier such as UPS. You must declare the contents.

Fed law does not require any particular service (like overnight).

UPS internal policy requires you ship "express". Most independant UPS counters (IE: UPS Store) will not ship handguns or guns at all and you'll need to then go to a UPS hub.

May be easier to go to your local FFL. An FFL can ship via USPS and the cost will generally be about 1/2 the UPS rate. So shipping plus FFL fee will likely turn out the same as UPS. So if a FFL is closer than your UPS "hub", this may be a better option for you to consider.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Last I tried UPS said no BUT FEDEX will take it
    FedEx suffers from the same idiocy as UPS, when it comes to policies.
    As an FFL I think they both suck. Been given the runaround by both.
    As such I use USPS almost exclusively. But the PO is only a block away and I never got the runaround I did at UPS and FedEx

In a nutshell it depends on the policies of your local counter for UPS and FedEx.

One may be better than the other dependent on your location.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Westmoreland County)

Last year, I sent a .38 special revolver back to S&W for them to refinish the backstrap. S&W pre-paid the shipping and insurance through UPS. I went to the UPS center in New Stanton, PA with the gun and the sticker/info that S&W mailed to me. The UPS employees visually verified it was the gun, packed it into their box, put the pre-paid shipping sticker onto it, gave me a receipt and a tracking number, and off I went. Easy.

(Delaware County)

I've shipped a buddy's gun for him a couple ties via UPS. I don't recall there being any specific requirements. Let me go look on our UPS shipper site.

Wait one...

Quote Originally Posted by UPS
    Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
    Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
    UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

* Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
    * UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
    * UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
    * Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
    * Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
    * UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements

* Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
    * Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
    * Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

About Documentation and Labeling

* The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

* You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
    * When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
    * You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
    * See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.
    http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...ch_phr=handgun
    Last edited by dm_n_stuff; September 5th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

(Chester County)

When I sent my V-10 back to Springfield for repair, they emailed me a FedEx shipping label to use. I had no problems with shipping. I wasn't home when they delivered the package, so I had to go to the closest FedEx hub to pick it up.

(Allegheny County)

When I sold the .38 recently, I used the USPS. No hassle and lower costs. You just fill out the declaration form and pick how to ship and what options, like insurance and signature, etc.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

(Luzerne County)

Unless you are a licensee (manufacturer, Dealer, gunsmith, etc) or "officer, employee, agent, or watchman who, pursuant to the provisions of section 1715 of this title, is eligible to receive through the mails pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person, for use in connection with his official duty;"

... it is unlawful per Fed law to ship a handgun through the USPS.

18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; September 5th, 2009 at 11:06 AM.

Remember Meleanie

(Pike County)

Yes you can ship UPS
    gunfixer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast