Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Open carry into Ohio

I'll be traveling to West PA in about a week, a few miles from the Ohio border (New Wilmington). Some friends and I will be staying at a friend's place for the weekend, playing video games and shooting out back (he has a farm and lots of land). During this time we plan on going out to eat at places (none of which serve alcohol) in Ohio.

Since Ohio does not reciprocate with Pennsylvania in terms of carry licenses, that leaves us with two options: No carry or open carry.

As I understand it, Ohio is a traditional open carry state, however they have strict rules on carrying handguns in vehicles without a recognized license/permit. To wit:

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
    And the definition of "unloaded" as it pertains to this statute is as follows:

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.
    So what this essentially means is that to lawfully carry a pistol in a vehicle without a valid license or permit, the firearm must be unloaded, and enclosed in some kind of container or the trunk, and the ammunition must be unloaded from any magazine or speed loader that is compatible with that firearm. Then upon getting out of the vehicle, you can load up to carry it openly, which is a lawful purpose.

Am I missing anything here? Am I covering all my bases?

And I'm curious as to the legal definition of "speed loader." Does a moon clip count as a speed loader?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Open carry into Ohio

Pretty sure moon clips count as speed loaders. OC is legal over there, but I wouldn't expect a warm response in the Boardman area.

New Castle has better food than all of Ohio........

Lycanamishcoutrythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Armstrong County)

Get your Utah License

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Lawrence County)

I live in New Wilmington and never carry in ohio, although I am there a couple of times a week...just a pain in the rear. Waiting on my Va license. And Hermitage has about the same options as boardman for food.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
    What part of this DON'T you understand?

(Northampton County)

If anyone wanted to carry in Ohio,it would be good to have a license that Ohio honors. Otherwise it would be a PITA. Getting a Utah license was no biggie.

New Castle has better food than all of Ohio........
    I'm not sure about that. I've had some good food in Cleveland.
    I lived in New Castle..on the east side...for 4 years. And...yes,I've been in Duke's Gun Shop....nice people.
    I liked the food at Shads on Butler Ave.

The worse thing about Boardman was the cops were overly agressive with traffic tickets on rt 224.
    Last edited by reverserboy; September 5th, 2009 at 10:01 AM.

For those who carry in Ohio (courtesy of mrjam2jab from another thread here):

(Monroe County)

OC fine, I was just there. But look out for the decated signs for when OC/CC is not allowed. It is nice because they have to post the big easy to see state reg no gun sign. So you don't have the small print issues. I found only 3 places that had them up. Also you can't carry in anyplace the serves booze.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff