Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default good holsters for skinny people

i am applying for my cc permit and am just kinda looking ahead. i'm a skinny guy and dont like wearing really baggy clothing. i am looking at either a glock 23c/19c or a walther p99c for my carry. can anyone reccomend a good holster for me and/or reccomend a different gun for me to check out. i'm open to suggestions. thanks.

(Bucks County)

Hey Slate, Take a look at Bearclaw Holsters made of KYDEX, the plastic-like material. One of their "made for Glock" models, IWB style, may be the ticket. Look for www.bearclawholsters.com and good luck...Mike45

(Armstrong County)

I'm no chubby and a Galco concealable works for me with a full size SIG and patterned overshirt. But that doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Have a look on usgalco.com at the pictures and figure out what might work for you. I'm recommending galcos site because they have good pictures of each holster style being worn. Buy whatever brand you wish. Keep in mind you may have to buy a few holsters before you find the "right" one.

And get a good gunbelt. Without padding to provide tension you need a good belt to keep everything in place and comfortable.

(Bucks County)

I'm in the same boat , So I'm gonna go to the gunshow and window shop till I find the most comfortable one . that works for me , I hope . I'm a lefty and therefore concidered a freak by those guys not in their right mind ...J K so i'm not sure how i'm gonna wear it , time will tell . good luck . keep in touch
    TAS

Default Re: good holsters for skinny people

It is impossible to recomend holsters based on general size of person. Seemingly minor variations in body contour can make difference in weather somthing will conceal, or be comfortable. IWB's are particularily so. Regardless for carrying a gun of that general size, it will be at least as much a mater of dressing around the gun. Depends on your shape, and current mode of dress. Not discouraging you, it can be done, and a substantal pistol (or 2) is a good thing, but it's about more than just the holster.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by slate View Post
    i am applying for my cc permit and am just kinda looking ahead. i'm a skinny guy and dont like wearing really baggy clothing. i am looking at either a glock 23c/19c or a walther p99c for my carry.
    It's typical to resist at first, but you really do have to make clothing accommodations to make CCW work, especially in your case: skinny guy + mid-size gun.

If you want to carry either of those two guns, you'll really need a belt holster, probably IWB. You'll almost certainly need a cover garment (over-sized unbuttoned Oxford shirt). You'll need a real gun belt, which has to be cinched up reasonably tight (no low-rider effect).

I doubt you can conceal any holstered gun and still wear tight clothes.

Thus:

1. Expect to change clothes at least somewhat.
    2. Expect a cover shirt...it will be a little baggy and over-sized.
    3. It's possible to make some trade-offs between clothes and gun: your cover garments can be less severe if for example you CCW a single-stack 9mm like a Kahr.

PS: I would personally advise against compensated guns for CCW.

(Montgomery County)

Check out smart carry of uncle mikes IWB. I'm 6 2 155 and I don't print at all with the smart carry and minimally with the uncle mikes IWB.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome Slate,

I'll second dgg9 against using a comp gun for carry. Do you have a particular reason to go with a comp gun?

He also mentioned a single stack Kahr which is what I generally carry as a backup gun in either a Kytac pockit Lockit or a Lou Alessi ankle holster.

For work, I carry in a Desantis ankle holster which fits better above my work boot.

You will undoubtedly amass quite a few holsters until you get one that "feels right" and is comfortable to have on all day. I put my Kahr P9 Covert with Desantis on at 5:30 this AM and will take it off after I have my PM caff. That's 12 hrs with no discomfort.

My Glocks ,32 or 23 , ride in a 4th Gen Sidearmor IWB or Fobus paddle holsters if I need to remove the pistol more times during the day.

Try many options,both in concealable firearms and the holsters to go with them.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Chester County)

1. I'm fairly thin myself and I have no problem concealing a Glock 26 in a Comp-Tac C-TAC.

2. The Glock 26, or something of similar size; or something even smaller and thinner; is going to be easier to conceal than the 23/19.

3. Most likely you are going to want a holster whose belt attachment points are not directly on top of the holster body. Moving the loops off the body makes for a thinner holster profile. e.g., Milt Sparks VM2, Comp-Tac C-TAC, etc.

4. You are probably going to have to adjust your wardrobe slightly, but not drastically. I don't wear skin-tight clothing, but not slovenly either (I hope) and it seems to work out well.