Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: My Dilemma

(Dauphin County)

Default My Dilemma

Ok, I am looking for a snubby to carry, seeing as the Charter I bought was recently stolen by my wife

I have narrowed it down to two Taurus snubs, either the 651B .357 (New) or the 851BUL .38 (Ultra Light Used). Both are around $300 at the gun shops that I priced them at. I CANT DECIDE!!! lol.

I am seeking advice from some of the more experienced gun owners in the forum. Which one should I get and why?

Also, don't bother suggesting an S&W, they are out of my price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOULD, Circuit Judge, concurring:
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

(Centre County)

Default Re: My Dilemma

I have the 85ULHDCT (ultra-light homeland defender w/ crimson trace grips). It shoots nice and is easily concealable but have not shot or seen a 651B so I can't help with a comparison. The recoil from the .38 isn't bad but since the gun is so light, after a while you will start to feel it. I like mine and if I had the choice to buy it again I would. (sorry this probably isn't too much help)

(Allegheny County)

I have shot with both the 651B and the 851BUL. I like the feel of the grip and the recoil from the 651B better. Just my 2 cents
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

Personally I would go with the 651B. Taurus makes pretty good revolvers for the price. I would prefer new over used, unless you knew how it was treated. Also, you can't beat the Lifetime warranty on the new Taurus guns.

As a side note, I have heard first hand about the customer service of Taurus. It is stellar. A person I was stationed with told me this story. He found a banged up, and scrapped up Taurus along the road one day when he lived in Fla. He turned it in to the police. He asked about keeping it. He was told after the investigation to determine if it was used in a crime and after a length of time to see if it is reported stolen, he can petiton to take posession of it. He got to keep it after the time had passed. He shipped it to Taurus to try and repair it. When he got the gun back, he found that they shipped him a new one, free of charge! That is what I call great customer service.
    I am part of a Well Regulated Militia

(Dauphin County)

Also if you are suggesting the new .357, would you go with the shrouded hammer or DOA?
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Coustain View Post
    Also if you are suggesting the new .357, would you go with the shrouded hammer or DOA?
    Personally, shrouded hammer, just my $0.02

i love my .357 airlite snubby w/ DAO, no hammer means no snags...

No snagging with a shrouded hammer either.

(Dauphin County)

I have settled for the 651SS. Thanks for the input everyone.