Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Where does it officially say that you don't have to inform an officer that you are...

carrying?

I remember seeing it before, a few years ago but, I can't recall where I found it.

Thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Where does it officially say that you don't have to inform an officer that you ar

Officially? There's a lot of "Official" stuff out there, such as from PSP or Sheriffs, but unless it's law or regulation under statuatory authority then it means nothing.

Where does it officially say that you don't have to inform an officer that you are carrying? It doesn't. But there is no law that says you must inform an officer. Therefore you are not required to.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Where does it officially say that you don't have to inform an officer that you ar

So if someone asks you where it says you don't have to, how do you respond? Some people don't take your word for it and others don't see the logic in that if it's not stated to be illegal then it's legal.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by kx90 View Post
    So if someone asks you where it says you don't have to, how do you respond? Some people don't take your word for it and others don't see the logic in that if it's not stated to be illegal then it's legal.

If they insist the law states you have a duty to inform, then there must be a law saying so, right? So turn the challenge around on them. Insist that they produce the law that says so.

They won't be able to. Eventually the little light will click on.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

That's just it. Laws don't tell you what you CAN do. They tell you what you can NOT do.

When they don't believe you... challenge them to prove that they are correct. But don't hold your breath waiting.

(Delaware County)

A general rule of thumb .... Laws don't tell you what you are allowed do, they generally tell you what you can't do or what you must do.

Lack of a law saying you must inform in Pa means you don't have to. It's basically up to you. Some say you should, some say never tell a policeman any more than you have to. For me it would depend on the situation. I wouldn't lie if directly asked, although there are also those here that will tell you lying to a policeman isn't wrong or against the law either.

Everything you do, or don't do, has possible consequences, if you're willing to put up with the possible consequences then go for whatever you want. Just remember, there are police that will arrest you for whatever they see fit regardless of the law and let the courts sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    A general rule of thumb .... Laws don't tell you what you are allowed do, they generally tell you what you can't do or what you must do.

Lack of a law saying you must inform in Pa means you don't have to. It's basically up to you. Some say you should, some say never tell a policeman any more than you have to. For me it would depend on the situation. I wouldn't lie if directly asked, although there are also those here that will tell you lying to a policeman isn't wrong or against the law either.

HMM, you mean like the fact there is NO LAW that says OC is legal?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    HMM, you mean like the fact there is NO LAW that says OC is legal?

(Jefferson County)

I would never lie to a cop. But I will definitely refuse to answer a question, or answer a question I don't think they have the authority to ask "Is there a problem?," "Am I being detained?," "Am I free to go?," or something of the like. You don't have to answer a cop's questions, but lying could end up being construed as interfering with an investigation, if the cop is actually conducting an investigation.

During an encounter with a LEO, I will never inform them that I am carrying unless they directly ask me and have said that I am being detained. Whether or not a law-abiding citizen is carrying a concealed weapon should be of no concern to a cop.

I think that everybody in this thread is up to speed on this concept, that you don't need a law that says you "may" do something, or that you're not required to do it; our system is one of statutes that impose duties or ban certain conduct, and the statutes explicitly set forth penalties. You have to register for the draft, and you can't have murder the innocent, because there are statutes saying so.

The counter-argument to "where does it say you don't have to tell an officer" or "where does it say that you can carry a gun openly", is to describe some bizarre conduct, and ask what law allows or prohibits it. Such as, "where does it say that I'm allowed to buy breakfast every day if I want to?" That knocks the discussion away from "stuff that people think should be illegal" into the real subject, which is that you don't need special permission to do anything, there just can't be a statute specifically making it illegal.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast