Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FN57 pricing?

(York County)

Default FN57 pricing?

was down at the shop today and saw a used FN57 for $850.
    Is that a fair/standard price for the gun used?
    It doesn't look like it has been shot much, if at all...

I think it would make a nice range toy for the collection, being that ammo is even cheaper than .40 right now.

It looks like a good zombie pistol as well

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: FN57 pricing?

I'd consider calling gun stores by you and checking gunbroker.com to see what you could get one for???

(York County)

The round is nice. For self defense purposes I wouldn't know about it, but for target and zombies (head shots only) it seems that it performs well. The guy at the shop told me it was identical to an AR-15 round (.223) and that it was good for self defense because the bullet breaks up into little pieces on contact with someone. huh?

I think I'll pass it up. It seems online they go for about ~$900 new, $849 at some place, but I can't buy online anyway. Hopefully one will pop up locally and is priced that way. Not over $1,000 like I've seen before.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: FN57 pricing?

FNH developed the 5.7 for NATO as they were looking for armor piercing capabilities that the 9mm did not possess. Armor piercing rounds are not available to the general population. As soon as the novelty of the gun wears off, I think the prices will drop. I don't know if the gun was accepted by NATO. If you want to be the first kid on your block to own one, go for it. The used ones I've seen go for over 900.
    You'd Better Hope Your Insane, Cause There's No Cure For Stupid!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    The guy at the shop told me it was identical to an AR-15 round (.223) and that it was good for self defense because the bullet breaks up into little pieces on contact with someone. huh?
    From what I understand, 5.7 carries much less power than a 5.56 round. Bullets that break into little pieces are called frangible, and have little to do with what caliber you're talking about inasmuch as you can have a frangible bullet on any caliber round. Frangible is nice for shooting steel targets and arguably for personal defense. It might be necessary for using 5.7 for defensive purposes, because frangible ammo expends all of its energy on contact instead of spending a good amount of it in penetration through your target.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie De View Post
    FNH developed the 5.7 for NATO as they were looking for armor piercing capabilities that the 9mm did not possess. Armor piercing rounds are not available to the general population. As soon as the novelty of the gun wears off, I think the prices will drop. I don't know if the gun was accepted by NATO. If you want to be the first kid on your block to own one, go for it. The used ones I've seen go for over 900.
    They aint new. The novelty wore off long ago. FN is not going to drop prices. They'll probably just stop selling it in the US first. And I won't be the first guy on my block to own one. But, yeah, looking forward to the day I can get a used one at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    From what I understand, 5.7 carries much less power than a 5.56 round. Bullets that break into little pieces are called frangible, and have little to do with what caliber you're talking about inasmuch as you can have a frangible bullet on any caliber round. Frangible is nice for shooting steel targets and arguably for personal defense. It might be necessary for using 5.7 for defensive purposes, because frangible ammo expends all of its energy on contact instead of spending a good amount of it in penetration through your target.
    That's all true, as long as you understand that 5.56 FMJ breaks into mostly little pieces under 200 yards and that is a substantial part of the wounding effect and reputation for the round.

(Allegheny County)

I don't believe that it's so much of a frangible round as it was designed to tumble after impact.

The 5.7 was designed to be shoot at high velocity so it could penetrate light body armor. The HV rounds are restricted here ... not sure if it's really restricted .. more like FN decided to stop selling it here. If you reload or get ammo from elite, you can get some pretty nice rounds.

I've been trying to research this the past week or two, but I'm not really finding much. Most of what's out there was written in 2005 or 2006. I haven't really fund much that was wrote in the past year or so. It always leads to an argument that it is or is not just a glorified .22 mag round. I would love to get a batch of ballistic gel and do some tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Monroe County)

Yes $850 is what the used ones are going for , or just spend $150 more and get a new one for $996.

Its a fun gun, light , easy to carry and accurate, and of course deadly.

I have all the
    glocks and SIgs i could ever need , so i bought mine because i think its an interesting gun, and i enjoy shooting it.

OBTW, Check to see if FN still have the promotion going wherein you send a copy of your reciept to them and they mail you 200 rounds of ammo , all FN dealers have the coupon.

Buy what you like and enjoy and dont worry about theory.

Nyman

(York County)

not worrying about theory, just overpaying.

on gunbroker I saw a NIB 57 going for $850 but I don't think I'll find that price locally anytime soon. I'll swing by the shop again and strip it down. If it's in LNIB condition I may pick it up.

Nyman, do you know if you can still get the free 200 rounds if you buy used?

(Monroe County)

If you buy it gun broker or anywhere on the internet by the time it gets to you its going to cost you over a thousand dollars when you add ffl fees, shipping and handling fees, insurance cost etc , cheaper at the store.
    Plus the store mighht still have those coupons, thats a 60-100$ saving on ammo.

Nymax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast