Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN57 pricing?

Hybrid View

(York County)

Default FN57 pricing?

was down at the shop today and saw a used FN57 for $850.
    Is that a fair/standard price for the gun used?
    It doesn't look like it has been shot much, if at all...

I think it would make a nice range toy for the collection, being that ammo is even cheaper than .40 right now.

It looks like a good zombie pistol as well

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: FN57 pricing?

I'd consider calling gun stores by you and checking gunbroker.com to see what you could get one for???

(York County)

The round is nice. For self defense purposes I wouldn't know about it, but for target and zombies (head shots only) it seems that it performs well. The guy at the shop told me it was identical to an AR-15 round (.223) and that it was good for self defense because the bullet breaks up into little pieces on contact with someone. huh?

I think I'll pass it up. It seems online they go for about ~$900 new, $849 at some place, but I can't buy online anyway. Hopefully one will pop up locally and is priced that way. Not over $1,000 like I've seen before.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    The guy at the shop told me it was identical to an AR-15 round (.223) and that it was good for self defense because the bullet breaks up into little pieces on contact with someone. huh?
    From what I understand, 5.7 carries much less power than a 5.56 round. Bullets that break into little pieces are called frangible, and have little to do with what caliber you're talking about inasmuch as you can have a frangible bullet on any caliber round. Frangible is nice for shooting steel targets and arguably for personal defense. It might be necessary for using 5.7 for defensive purposes, because frangible ammo expends all of its energy on contact instead of spending a good amount of it in penetration through your target.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    The guy at the shop told me it was identical to an AR-15 round (.223) and that it was good for self defense because the bullet breaks up into little pieces on contact with someone. huh?
    Yeah, the guy at your shop is an idiot. The 5.7 is a small rifle round, it is NOT identical to .223 if it were he'd be selling you an FN 5.56 and even I would have trouble holding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    please don't forget that there is very powerful (albeit on backorder) ammo available from Elite Ammunition. it is also very different in terms of terminal ballistics. the round does not transfer kinetic energy for "knock down" power. it tumbles and bounces like a .22 or .223. SS197 penetrates more deeply than 9mm.
    Uhh, seriously? All bullets transfer kinetic energy even 6mm airsoft pellets transfer kinetic energy. Also .22 is way different then .223. A .22 may deflect off a bone if it does not have the velocity to go through it, but it's rare that it "bounces" around, the only time there is the realistic potential for that is an intercranial strike. The difference is the way that they transfer energy. STHP rifle ammunition and pistol rounds transfer energy by either impact or controlled expansion. Normal rifle ball ammunition depends on fragmentation in which the bullet tumbles and ideally tears itself apart leaving a much larger permanent wound channel than a pistol round would and why it would surprise me if it penetrated further than 9mm.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

Great gun kicks less than my .22 ruger mark II. accurate easy to squire target. Cannot be fired at many gun ranges because the round moves too fast. Light as anything I Paid $900 new about two years ago. Expensive ammo!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Great gun kicks less than my .22 ruger mark II. accurate easy to squire target. Cannot be fired at many gun ranges because the round moves too fast. Light as anything I Paid $900 new about two years ago. Expensive ammo!
    Come on down to SPAG, only rifle I've seen them turn away was a .50 BMG
    I'd love to try shooting one, I just see no practical application to justify owning one, especially with the $1k price tag. Damndest thing is they fit my hand like a glove so I'd really like to try one out sometime.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: FN57 pricing?

FNH developed the 5.7 for NATO as they were looking for armor piercing capabilities that the 9mm did not possess. Armor piercing rounds are not available to the general population. As soon as the novelty of the gun wears off, I think the prices will drop. I don't know if the gun was accepted by NATO. If you want to be the first kid on your block to own one, go for it. The used ones I've seen go for over 900.
    You'd Better Hope Your Insane, Cause There's No Cure For Stupid!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie De View Post
    FNH developed the 5.7 for NATO as they were looking for armor piercing capabilities that the 9mm did not possess. Armor piercing rounds are not available to the general population. As soon as the novelty of the gun wears off, I think the prices will drop. I don't know if the gun was accepted by NATO. If you want to be the first kid on your block to own one, go for it. The used ones I've seen go for over 900.
    They aint new. The novelty wore off long ago. FN is not going to drop prices. They'll probably just stop selling it in the US first. And I won't be the first guy on my block to own one. But, yeah, looking forward to the day I can get a used one at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    From what I understand, 5.7 carries much less power than a 5.56 round. Bullets that break into little pieces are called frangible, and have little to do with what caliber you're talking about inasmuch as you can have a frangible bullet on any caliber round. Frangible is nice for shooting steel targets and arguably for personal defense. It might be necessary for using 5.7 for defensive purposes, because frangible ammo expends all of its energy on contact instead of spending a good amount of it in penetration through your target.
    That's all true, as long as you understand that 5.56 FMJ breaks into mostly little pieces under 200 yards and that is a substantial part of the wounding effect and reputation for the round.

(Allegheny County)

I don't believe that it's so much of a frangible round as it was designed to tumble after impact.

The 5.7 was designed to be shoot at high velocity so it could penetrate light body armor. The HV rounds are restricted here ... not sure if it's really restricted .. more like FN decided to stop selling it here. If you reload or get ammo from elite, you can get some pretty nice rounds.

I've been trying to research this the past week or two, but I'm not really finding much. Most of what's out there was written in 2005 or 2006. I haven't really fund much that was wrote in the past year or so. It always leads to an argument that it is or is not just a glorified .22 mag round. I would love to get a batch of ballistic gel and do some tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast