Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FN57 pricing?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: FN57 pricing?

OBTW, do a you tube search on the Peruvian police anti-terrorist hostage rescue shoot out at the Peruvian Parliament building in Peru, the video were on you-tube . might still be there , reportedly all the terrs shot with this round died immediately , all thier inside organs were torn up according to the autopsies.

I didnt see the promo on FN's website but i believe the y will honor all the coupons still out there .

Call Phil at Weaver's and ask him, he is a bigtime FN dealer, 570 992 9433

Nyman

(Lehigh County)

please don't forget that there is very powerful (albeit on backorder) ammo available from Elite Ammunition. it is also very different in terms of terminal ballistics. the round does not transfer kinetic energy for "knock down" power. it tumbles and bounces like a .22 or .223. SS197 penetrates more deeply than 9mm.

http://eliteammunition.com/

The FN stuff is IMO target ammo. I have EA's Protectors and Raptors for carry. this stuff is shit hot. not taking orders for the Raptors at present, but the Protectors are 55gr at 2300fps.

other things to consider about the FN, it is a BIG pistol... not a CC piece, despite its light weight. it is EXTREMELY accurate. it is also capable of very long range (150 yds on a man-sized target).

it's no "toy". It is, IMO as an owner, a niche gun. If you are going to use one, you need to understand how it is meant to be employed. Try to get one to shoot, and let that help you decide.

the price is very good, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKgG2W6_N0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npFXEHfeA0
    Last edited by Ten*K; September 5th, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Luzerne County)

I'm very fond of mine. Fortunately, I bought it before the prices started upto where they are now.
    +1 about Elite Ammunition.
    Ten K's post is right on. A full sized semi-auto - the neat thing is it's weight; loaded with 20 rounds, it weighs less than my Glock 36 with six rounds.
    And yes, accurate....here's a picture of a group fired from the bench at 100 yards - it is four inches c-to-c.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And that guy at the gun store
    identical to an AR-15 round (.223)
    Maybe he meant bullet diameter - and even some bullets if you reload - but other than that it's not anywhere close to the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    The guy at the shop told me it was identical to an AR-15 round (.223) and that it was good for self defense because the bullet breaks up into little pieces on contact with someone. huh?
    Yeah, the guy at your shop is an idiot. The 5.7 is a small rifle round, it is NOT identical to .223 if it were he'd be selling you an FN 5.56 and even I would have trouble holding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    please don't forget that there is very powerful (albeit on backorder) ammo available from Elite Ammunition. it is also very different in terms of terminal ballistics. the round does not transfer kinetic energy for "knock down" power. it tumbles and bounces like a .22 or .223. SS197 penetrates more deeply than 9mm.
    Uhh, seriously? All bullets transfer kinetic energy even 6mm airsoft pellets transfer kinetic energy. Also .22 is way different then .223. A .22 may deflect off a bone if it does not have the velocity to go through it, but it's rare that it "bounces" around, the only time there is the realistic potential for that is an intercranial strike. The difference is the way that they transfer energy. STHP rifle ammunition and pistol rounds transfer energy by either impact or controlled expansion. Normal rifle ball ammunition depends on fragmentation in which the bullet tumbles and ideally tears itself apart leaving a much larger permanent wound channel than a pistol round would and why it would surprise me if it penetrated further than 9mm.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

Great gun kicks less than my .22 ruger mark II. accurate easy to squire target. Cannot be fired at many gun ranges because the round moves too fast. Light as anything I Paid $900 new about two years ago. Expensive ammo!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Great gun kicks less than my .22 ruger mark II. accurate easy to squire target. Cannot be fired at many gun ranges because the round moves too fast. Light as anything I Paid $900 new about two years ago. Expensive ammo!
    Come on down to SPAG, only rifle I've seen them turn away was a .50 BMG
    I'd love to try shooting one, I just see no practical application to justify owning one, especially with the $1k price tag. Damndest thing is they fit my hand like a glove so I'd really like to try one out sometime.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Come on down to SPAG, only rifle I've seen them turn away was a .50 BMG
    I'd love to try shooting one, I just see no practical application to justify owning one, especially with the $1k price tag. Damndest thing is they fit my hand like a glove so I'd really like to try one out sometime.
    Where is SPAG? I'm clueless. if I'm near there you buy the ammo and I'll let you shoot it. the ammo is out of this world expensive!

(Philadelphia County)

South Philly Archery & Gun, it's in the Italian Market in Philly. I don't know where Limerick is but I know Montgomery County isn't too far away. If you're going to be down in Philly let me know and if I'm free I'll be glad to show you where it is.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I don't believe that it's so much of a frangible round as it was designed to tumble after impact.

The 5.7 was designed to be shoot at high velocity so it could penetrate light body armor. The HV rounds are restricted here ... not sure if it's really restricted .. more like FN decided to stop selling it here. If you reload or get ammo from elite, you can get some pretty nice rounds.

I've been trying to research this the past week or two, but I'm not really finding much. Most of what's out there was written in 2005 or 2006. I haven't really fund much that was wrote in the past year or so. It always leads to an argument that it is or is not just a glorified .22 mag round. I would love to get a batch of ballistic gel and do some tests.
    i can vouch for the fact that it is not a glorified .22 mag round. I saw a video on youtube where I guy shot a bunch of wet phone book with a .22 mag and the 5.7x28. the 5.7 mad a much bigger hole and went a few inches deeper.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    i can vouch for the fact that it is not a glorified .22 mag round. I saw a video on youtube where I guy shot a bunch of wet phone book with a .22 mag and the 5.7x28. the 5.7 mad a much bigger hole and went a few inches deeper.
    Which is why I would love to do some ballistic gel tests. I take most things that I see on youtube with a nice hunk of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast