Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Best concealed holster?

I am new to the whole scene here, and was out looking at hoslters one day and was kind of overwhelmed. with all the different options i was like wtf...

Could someone explain the plus & minuses of some different holsters(paddle, chest, inside waist band etc)

thank you!
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Best concealed holster?

It's a tough question because different holsters work better or worse for others depending on carry mode, body type and gun carried. First you need a good belt made for carrying a gun. Best holster in the world is minimized if you don't have a gun belt.
    I use a Galco Matrix belt. It's black, looks new after alot of use doing heavy work and costs about thirty dollars. I carry my Keltec p3at in a Desantis pocket holster and a Glock 26 in their combat holster which is an outer waistband holster. I am still looking for a good innerwaistband one but given how good the Glock holster works I have not been in a big rush to find one. As usual you get what you pay for and should spend money of good equipment. There are exceptions. My Matrix belt works as well as another I first bought but costs half the price and the Glock holster is the best I have ever tried and is ten bucks. These are the exceptions to the rule though so shop carefully . Either way you will probably have a draw full of holsters that don't work out for you like everyeon else.

Paddle Holsters are a form of outer waistband carry holsters. They have a section that allows you to slide the holster over your belt. They allow you to take your holster on and off without removing your belt. Many also allow you to adjust your cant depending on your preference. Cant is the way the gun is positioned such as straight up or the handle can be turned to front or back. Some of the negatives I have heard of with these holsters is they add bulk and can be ripped from the paddle.

OWB holsters besides paddle ones slide onto your belt and you must remove your belt to take them off. They usually hold the gun closer to you for better concealment and also are one of the most comfortable ways to carry. They also usually have a retention system to secure the gun. This can be a snap, loop, or even "passive".

IWB is an inner waistband holster which will go between your pants and skin or undershirt. This is more concealalble than OWB and some holsters are even designed to allow you to tuck in your shirt. They also decrease your draw speed depending on how low the holster goes and if shirt is tucked in or not. It is recommended you wear your pants a size or two larger to accomodate the gun.

Shoulder holster is a holster that hangs on cloth or leather wrapped around your shoulders and hang the gun under your armpit. Very concealalbe depending on gun and holster style but requires a cover garment at all times. Not much expierience so can't provide more info.

Ankle holster straps to your ankle and is very concealable depending on cut of your pants. Is usualy used for back-up gun because it is slow and awquard to retrieve your gun(SP?) but works great for deep concealemnt or when driving. Small and light guns work best.

Thigh holster is two different things. A thigh holster on the inside of the thigh is usually for a woman and again works best with a small and light gun and wearing a skirt or dress. There is also the "tactical" thigh holster which is openly carried on your outer thigh attached to a belt. Very quick draw and no handgun size limitation here.

Chest holsters are also for more "tactical" uses and is attached usually to a vest that will hold extra magazines, ziptyes or whatever else your carrying. Both are not really for concealed carry.

Any other questions then just ask. I did a ton of research myself when getting into concealed carry.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; September 2nd, 2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling

(York County)

Really depends on the gun, IMHO.

I don't care for IWB, but it's probably the easiest way to carry a heavier gun concealed. I don't care for IWB due to increased difficulty in re-holstering and it's also not very comfortable...but comfort is a very subjective thing. Easy access to the gun.

Outside the waistband (OWB) allows one to carry a larger gun, but it's harder to conceal. I OWB frequently and wear a covering garment (sports jacket, vest) over it. Works good for me and I don't think a vest screams "GUN" like some guys here do. Wouldn't care anyway. Also, easy access to the gun and easy re-holstering. Get on with a retention strap if you go for an OWB holster.

By "chest" carry, I assume you mean a shoulder holster. Well, get a quality holster if you want to do this. I bought a cheap once and it laid in a drawer for 15 years. Like the OWB holster, you'll need a covering garment. Also, easy access and easy to re-holster.

A "Paddle" holster mounts over the top of the trousers (rather then supported by a belt) and uses the "paddle" to support and retain the holster. The advantage is easy removal of the holster if you must frequently during the day. Disadvantage is the firearm is not pulled close to the body. Easy access, easy re-holstering and you'll need a covering garment.

My most frequent mode of carry is a pocket holster of a small lightweight snubby .38. It doesn't get any easier then this, but does limit you to a small lightweight firearm.

Hope this helps..at least it'll get you started.

So, what kind of firearm are you planning on carrying?
    Last edited by RoyJackson; September 2nd, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Cumberland County)

For a IWB Holster =)

http://www.kholster.com Dont get much better then this for the price..

(Lebanon County)

I am currently cc'ing a taurus millenium pro. its fairly small, and easy to conceal. Im using a belt holster for the time being until i can find something i like better( i have to wear a baggy shirt if i carry with the belt holster). i plan on getting my girlfriend a little .25 auto to keep in her purse.

ps: i just got my concealed permit today, and boy was i excited!
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Allegheny County)

Save yourself a lot of money from experimenting with a lot of different holsters and get yourself a Crossbreed Minituck or Supertuck (depending on which gun you have). I wear mine all day everyday, at least 12 hours a day, no comfort problems. Sometimes have slept with it on while sleeping over places that aren't so gun friendly.
    Sig P226, Kahr PM40, Ruger LCP, SW 460 XVR

(Allegheny County)

I'm new to CCing also and, while there is no one "best" holster for everyone, the Crossbreed Minituck I went with for a Keltec PF9 has been great so far. Very concealable (thin), comfortable, and easy to reholster. You may need the Supertuck for your pistol, but the two are about the same. That's my vote, for what it's worth.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php

best concealed holster i ever owned.

still working on a good OC holster. selection is limited for me heh.

It's better to have an expensive (which should mean good, but doesn't always) holster and belt (one properly designed to bear the weight of a pistol and spare ammunition) and a reasonable, or even somewhat inexpensive firearm, which is to say merely adequate to the task of self defense.

Custom and semi-custom holsters can be very, very expensive and the wait for them to be completed can be long. Milt Sparks, one of the better companies, has up to a six month waiting list, last I heard, especially for its flagship VM-2 holster, which is an IWB with over the belt snaps. Kramer Leather, from whom I just got a horsehide "#3" IWB holster, is about a two and a half month wait.

Mass production holsters from Galco, Bianchi, De Santis, and others are fine, but most of them are not built in such a way as to give a lifetime of service, which is the selling point of better-made, more expensive holsters. Here's a very, very short list of manufacturers to get you started as you look about: http://hunting.about.com/od/holsters...ufacturers.htm

My favorite holster is my pocket. Yeah, I know, not the optimal method but it suits ME just fine. For OC or lightly concealed when I carry something a bit larger I use a recently acquired Blackhawk CQC. My carry method depends on what I'm doing or where I'm going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast