Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question PA Pistol, NJ Purchaser - Possible?

I have a number of friends in NJ who want to purchase a firearm from a dealer, gun show or on line broker in PA.

We were talking about the difference in processes between the two states, PA (for me at least) is very clear and pretty simple.

Not familiar with NJ (or any other state laws) how could a person or store in PA legally sell a firearm to someone in NJ - ship it to an FFL in NJ, work through an FFL in PA to get it to an FFL in NJ, it's not possible, etc?

Thanks,
    gp

(Chester County)

Default Re: PA Pistol, NJ Purchaser - Possible?

Any FFL in any state can sell a LONGARM to an NJ resident provided the laws of both the state of sale and NJ are followed.

For handguns, with very few exceptions, the physical transfer of the handgun to the NJ resident must take place IN NJ by an NJ FFL. The handgun can be shipped from out of state but MUST be to the NJ FFL - not the buyers.
    IANAL

(Lackawanna County)

Yep handguns need to go from PA FFL to ship to NJ FFL first then the buyer can pick it up there in accordance with NJ law. Should have the NJ FFL set up in advance to make sure they are willing to make the transfer.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue301 View Post
    Yep handguns need to go from PA FFL to ship to NJ FFL first then the buyer can pick it up there in accordance with NJ law. Should have the NJ FFL set up in advance to make sure they are willing to make the transfer.
    The shipment does *not* need to ship *from* an FFL. TO an FFL in NJ but can be by way of FFL, who can ship USPS or common carrier or direct from non-FFL (no USPS, common carrier only)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lackawanna County)

I stand corrected. Also doesn't that depend on the recieving FFL whether or not they will recieve from a non ffl?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue301 View Post
    ...Also doesn't that depend on the recieving FFL whether or not they will recieve from a non ffl?
    Sure. Some do have crazy rules, blue or red ink signed ffl, no civie shipments, etc. I was just speaking as to legality.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by george_park View Post
    I have a number of friends in NJ who want to purchase a firearm from a dealer, gun show or on line broker in PA.

We were talking about the difference in processes between the two states, PA (for me at least) is very clear and pretty simple.

Not familiar with NJ (or any other state laws) how could a person or store in PA legally sell a firearm to someone in NJ - ship it to an FFL in NJ, work through an FFL in PA to get it to an FFL in NJ, it's not possible, etc?

Thanks,
    gp
    The NJ resident has to meet the qualifications of their state to purchase a handgun so they need their firearms card plus a pistol purchase permit same as if they were purchasing a pistol in NJ...no way around that!