Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Allegheny County)

Default Trying to Start a Drexel University Skeet Team

Hey all.. Title says it all.. well, title says most of it..

If anyone knows of anyone who would be a good fit as a collegiate skeet team coach, or anyone who has any experience with a collegiate skeet team, if you could please contact me, (even just the mechanics of one..), I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Trying to Start a Drexel University Skeet Team

You'll need a dedicated coach and a lot of money.

You can start here for resources:
    http://www.usashooting.com/

I think you have a great idea but don't neglect thinking about the politics of the school and how to deal with that (a gun club in philly!?).

(Philadelphia County)

I went to Drexel for college. They had a rifle club when I was there and it was a pretty old club that competed nationwide. I was a member. It was not that long ago. The club has to still be there. They have a rifle range on the top floor of one of those buildings (I forget the name of the building, but it's one of the most common buildings to have classes in on Chestnut) with a walk-in closet full of .22 rifles and air rifles.

I'm pretty surprised you came here to ask your question given the built-in membership and coaching / admin for that subject matter. The rifle club was a fantastic experience for me. I don't know if people are aware but the majority of Drexel students and admin are politically conservative. It's almost impossible for me to imagine any resistance from admin or the student body to a skeet team, given the history of the rifle club there and the politics of the students and admin. Try starting a pro-choice club / group, then you'll encounter some resistance (I've seen it first hand). BTW as an alum and former founder of officially recognized clubs at Drexel, I'd be happy to participate in any way that will help you with your goal.
    Last edited by rjmst1; September 29th, 2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added a minor detail about the rifle club.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rjmst1 View Post
    I went to Drexel for college. They had a rifle club when I was there and it was a pretty old club that competed nationwide. I was a member. It was not that long ago. The club has to still be there. They have a rifle range on the top floor of one of those buildings (I forget the name of the building, but it's one of the most common buildings to have classes in on Chestnut) with a walk-in closet full of .22 rifles and air rifles.

I'm pretty surprised you came here to ask your question given the built-in membership and coaching / admin for that subject matter. The rifle club was a fantastic experience for me. I don't know if people are aware but the majority of Drexel students and admin are politically conservative. It's almost impossible for me to imagine any resistance from admin or the student body to a skeet team, given the history of the rifle club there and the politics of the students and admin. Try starting a pro-choice club / group, then you'll encounter some resistance (I've seen it first hand). BTW as an alum and former founder of officially recognized clubs at Drexel, I'd be happy to participate in any way that will help you with your goal.
    Recent Drexel Alum here as well. I just graduated in June. While I have seen several conservative teachers in my years there, I did not get the impression that the school was conservative. Infact it seems very liberal to me. I don't know how long ago you went, but Drexel has certainly expanded a lot with more generic liberal arts degrees and, unfortunetely, more liberals.

Either way, please keep us updated on your progress. I would love to be involved if it would help the cause.
    God Created Man. Sam Colt made them equal.
    FU BHO.

(Allegheny County)

The idea, thus far, has been shot down by University officials.

I've raised the case of the Drexel paintball team and I was informed that it was a club that was "grandfathered in", if you will.

Overall, this has been a tremendous disappointment, but the appeals will not halt. If anyone can offer any ideas or recommendations, lemme know!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmanzi View Post
    The idea, thus far, has been shot down by University officials.

I've raised the case of the Drexel paintball team and I was informed that it was a club that was "grandfathered in", if you will.

Overall, this has been a tremendous disappointment, but the appeals will not halt. If anyone can offer any ideas or recommendations, lemme know!
    I don't have any ideas or recommendations for you, but an alumni, I wish you luck.

What reason(s) did they give you when they turned you down?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by rjmst1 View Post
    Isn't it outside on the roof? I used to walk by the sign every week but never saw or heard anything.

(Philadelphia County)

It's not outside, but I guess you could say the range is on the roof. It's more like an attic. It's fully enclosed and a relatively small space, but definitely large enough for its purposes. Go check it out. I'm sure they still have a club. And they compete locally, regionally, and (I think) nationally. BTW, where would you shoot skeet if you were successful in getting official recognition for the group, Corinthian?

(Northampton County)

That makes more sense. The sign was on the door to the roof. Not a door to stairs, a door that opened right on the roof. Never believed that would fly in downtown Philly. I guess now I know it's not quite like that. I can't check it out because I'm far away.