Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Felon wins the right to own a gun

Once released all rights should return to the person or we create a lower class of citizen on any crime. The issue in our society is the punishment is not harsh enough and does not utilize correct societal pressure. Jails don't work.

Perhaps we should deprive felons of the right to free speech and to be free of illegal search and seizures as well? No. Their rights are theirs by the simple state of their existence as a human being. They may cede and surrender their rights when they take an act to infringe on the rights of another and those judged under the same standard may set that standard for the removal of the protection of those rights for a period - however after that period if all of their rights are not returned we have done nothing but create motivation for them to infringe on rights in the future.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dsnover View Post
    Bolded is what I'm commenting on.

If they are released from prison, they have been deemed to be 'safe' to society. Therefore, their rights should be fully restored (after probation). If they aren't fit to have all their rights restored, keep them locked up. (just my opinion).
    You are so right. After all, violent offenders never get released from jail, and people rarely, if ever, return to jail after time served.

I'm being sarcastic, can you tell?

(Chester County)

Also, should we get rid of the sex offenders registry? (and yes, I know people end up on it for being caught pissing in an alley, and that is wrong, but people convicted of trying to touch little girls...)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Also, should we get rid of the sex offenders registry? (and yes, I know people end up on it for being caught pissing in an alley, and that is wrong, but people convicted of trying to touch little girls...)
    Nope, that is one place I draw the line!

ANYONE convicted of sexual abuse of anyone, child or not, IMHO should be drawn and quartered ... by perpetrating that kind of act on anyone they have shown themselves to be a species far below human.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Nope, that is one place I draw the line!

ANYONE convicted of sexual abuse of anyone, child or not, IMHO should be drawn and quartered ... by perpetrating that kind of act on anyone they have shown themselves to be a species far below human.
    Wrong answer! If we have them burnt at the stake like they should, the ashes don't need to be on an offenders registry.

Heheheh, just joking.

(Berks County)

Burning at the stake? You're too soft-hearted. Crucifixion is the only appropriate response.

(Lackawanna County)

The biggest problem with this case, or the main reason for it, is that many non-violent offenders WERE allowed, after release, to own firearms. This person did, for 17 years.

In 2004, the state passed a new law that also went back and RETROACTIVELY removed the rights from former individuals that were already able to possess firearms despite an earlier non-violent crime.

The SCONC should have ruled that the 'look back' was unconstitutional, and allowed the people that had already met the requirements to have their right restored retain the right.

It was an ex-post facto situation that caused this case.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dsnover View Post
    Bolded is what I'm commenting on.

If they are released from prison, they have been deemed to be 'safe' to society. Therefore, their rights should be fully restored (after probation). If they aren't fit to have all their rights restored, keep them locked up. (just my opinion).
    I have to agree with this one. Sounds just like what common sense sounded like, back when there was some.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Luzerne County)

Well I am kind of torn on this one and here's why:

1. Non violent crime, no gun involved

2. the crime was 30 years ago and he has been clean since then.

3. MY ongoing rant about the asinine 'war on drugs' in this country.

I mean honestly, someone gets nailed selling drugs, no violence or actions against another, they do their time and then go on the straight and narrow for 30 years .... and they can never own a gun again?

There has to be some 'give and take' here and honestly I agree with this decision. Now on that note though I would say ANYONE convicted of a violent crime, no matter how small, should NEVER be allowed to own a gun again.
    I agree with this. And as much against the drug war as I am, aren't (weren't) Ludes a Rx? So even if we legalized drugs, I don't think that affects Rx's. Personally I'd legalize it all, but I think Rx's would still be illegal without prescription...

And ftr, sex offenders are a type of violent crime, so they would go in the "no guns" category.

(Northampton County)

Now on that note though I would say ANYONE convicted of a violent crime, no matter how small, should NEVER be allowed to own a gun again.
    DC Dalton, you are a pretty decent guy, right? You try to obey the law, right? You obvously have a long, clean record when it comes to disqualifying crimes.

You could be accused of a violent crime tomorrow and convicted of one in a matter of months. Perhaps a fist fight trying to defend yourself or a family member. Happened to a friend of mine. He is screwed for LIFE. There will be no redo nor restoration of rights. No jail served, wasn't that serious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast