Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Luzerne County Sheriff Michael Savokinas resigns

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Luze...s_resigns.html

Luzerne County Sheriff Michael Savokinas resigns

HARRISBURG - Luzerne County Sheriff Michael Savokinas has resigned from office effective today at 4 p.m.

Savokinas sent a letter to Gov. Ed Rendell dated today announcing his resignation and asking that the governor allow the position to remain vacant until the next election cycle for the sheriff's office. Savokinas said his chief deputy, Charles Guarnieri, will serve as sheriff until then.

For further updates check back with www.timesleader.com
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Luzerne County Sheriff Michael Savokinas resigns

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Luzerne County Sheriff Michael Savokinas resigns

I just heard this on the news, also about the Luzerne County Court house Jury Commisioner was indited on Federal charges. He took a bribe in exchange for contracts while he was a member of the Luzerne county housing authority. What the hell are these people in Luzerne County trying to do, make the record books as the most corrupt officials ever.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Luzerne County Sheriff resigns abruptly.

http://www.scrantontimes.com/news/lu...signs_abruptly

Luzerne County Sheriff resigns abruptly
    By Michael P. Buffer, Dave Janoski and Michael R. Sisak (Staff Writers)
    Published: September 2, 2009

WILKES-BARRE - Luzerne County Sheriff Michael A. Savokinas abruptly resigned Tuesday afternoon, ending a 20-month stint in office that often was plagued by controversy and clashes with other county officials.

"At this time, my presence seems to be a distraction for my already over-worked staff," Mr. Savokinas wrote in a three-page resignation letter to Gov. Ed Rendell.

Mr. Savokinas, 36, complained about a "witch hunt" and smear campaign "orchestrated by county officials" to drag his "reputation through the mud," and claimed drugs found in his vehicle "were planted as a possible political vendetta." Mr. Savokinas added he "can no longer do justice to my job without the cooperation of the current county commissioner leadership."

The Exeter Twp. resident said he informed Mr. Rendell on Tuesday morning that he was resigning. His resignation took effect at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Mr. Rendell can nominate an interim sheriff. Chief Deputy Sheriff Charles J. Guarnieri Jr. is expected to become acting sheriff. The next election for Luzerne County sheriff will be in 2011.

Just a week ago, Mr. Savokinas blasted "the powers that be" for cutting his budget, denying a request for a forensic audit of his office and ignoring his proposal to take over and improve courthouse security.

In his resignation letter, Mr. Savokinas complained about commissioners and their administration questioning his ability to assist other law enforcement agencies. He said it resulted in "another 'witch hunt' " that caused the county's insurance carrier to tell him he "placed the county at risk due to inadequate coverage."

In July, Mr. Savokinas said he was convinced political enemies "planted" drugs in a department vehicle for the third time this year in an attempt to destroy his reputation.

In June, District Attorney Jackie Musto Carroll said the county commissioners' administration asked her to investigate a report about drugs found in a sheriff's vehicle, and she asked the FBI to investigate because her office works closely with the sheriff's department.

Mr. Savokinas and Mr. Guarnieri could not be reached for further comment Tuesday.

Contact the writers: mbuffer@citizensvoice.com, djanoski@citizensvoice.com, msisak@citizensvoice.com

(Berks County)

Default Re: Luzerne County Sheriff resigns abruptly.

Between this and the Northampton Sheriff resigning:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/7091...ving-post.html

Something doesn't seem right. If these guys weren't acting on the level then they need to go, but my concern is that if they're getting forced out for some reason, then Rendell gets to appoint interim Sheriffs until the end of the term. My guess is he's not going to appoint gun (and definitely not NFA) friendly interim Sheriffs...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/7091...ving-post.html

Something doesn't seem right. If these guys weren't acting on the level then they need to go, but my concern is that if they're getting forced out for some reason, then Rendell gets to appoint interim Sheriffs until the end of the term. My guess is he's not going to appoint gun (and definitely not NFA) friendly interim Sheriffs...
    I have to agree. Something just isn't right when two sheriffs decide to resign at the same time with no real reason. My spidey senses are on overdrive.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post

Something doesn't seem right.
    Agreed. Very odd coincidence.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Armstrong County)

We should keep an eye on Carbon and Monroe to see if this a pattern devloping. Something ain't right!!!

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Lackawanna County)

The Luzerne county sheriff was getting worlds of shit and lot of political backstabbing.

He's out in Las Vegas this week, on vacation with his wife, on his dime.

He was getting phone calls from the media because someone in the commissioners office suggested that he was out there on the taxpayer's dime... which apparently was the straw that broke the camel's back.

By the way, the FBI believes that the drugs in question WERE planted by outside individuals.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Luzerne County)

Hre is the resignation letter he gave the media.

http://media.timesleader.com/documen...nas_Resign.pdf

And in todays paper pops another story.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Nowa...nd_county.html
    Nowakowski files suit against Savokinas and county

By Bill O’Boyle boboyle@timesleader.com
    Staff Writer

Former Luzerne County Sheriff George "Nipper" Nowakowski Wednesday filed a lawsuit against recently resigned Sheriff Michael Savokinas and the county.

Nowakowski said the basis of the lawsuit stems from statements made by Savokinas in a July 15 story in The Times Leader where the sherriff alleged Nowakowski, former Sheriff Barry Stankus and Commissioner Chairwoman Maryanne Petrilla could have planted marijuana in the sheriff's car.

"I don't want to come out and accuse anybody. ... At this point, I wouldn't put it by anyone," said Savokinas in the story. "It just seems all so weird how this is all coming out. ... I don't believe in coincidence."

In the TL story, Savokinas specifically noted Nowakowski, whom he defeated in the 2007 Democratic primary race for his current office; Stankus, whom he beat in the general election; and Petrilla.

The suit was filed in the county prothonotary's office at 11 a.m. by Attorney Thomas M. Marsilio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast