Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: If you could have only one 1911...?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue301 View Post
    Do not carry a Gold Cup or a target gun for self defense or home defense the triggers are to light. For the range Gold Cups and other targets are perfect I have several.
    Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over again? I know many guys who have carried and do carry Gold Cups for everyday carry. Most factory GCT have 5# triggers from the factory, that is far from to light... My carry gun is a 4# trigger. Many Glocks are 4# and under in SA mode. Hk LEM triggers are the same. You should carry whatever pistol that you have determined reliable for self defense and you are the most accurate with. Stop shoving what your preferences are down others throats. What works for you might not work for others. Respect that!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    There is my noobishness shining through. Which model Colt 1911 would you compare to a Springfield Operator or Kimber Custom TLE II perhaps?

I've seen WWI replica's by Colt for about $500 some places. They look nice and simple if I did want to customize it later on.

That would be a Colt XSE Commander for full size. It is on the top end of your price range but a very nicedefense firearm.

The WW I replicas are nice representive of what it is supposed to represent a WW I 1911. Thats it. Stay focused on the need. The toys can come later.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over again? I know many guys who have carried and do carry Gold Cups for everyday carry. Most factory GCT have 5# triggers from the factory, that is far from to light... My carry gun is a 4# trigger. Many Glocks are 4# and under in SA mode. Hk LEM triggers are the same. You should carry whatever pistol that you have determined reliable for self defense and you are the most accurate with. Stop shoving what your preferences are down others throats. What works for you might not work for others. Respect that!
    Agreed on that one,

Have your Opinion is Great but dont Force it on anyone.

PS back on topic, My SA TRP Operator has a 5 1/2lb Trigger lol

A good let me rephrase a Reliable 1911 usually runs over the 800-900 mark
    Does this look like my Care Face.....

My issue with unaltered GCs for carry is more to do with the relative tightness of the innards and the possibility of target sights that might fly off at any given moment, like the Eliasons (sp.?). I would think that, at the very least, you would want to invest in carry sights that fit the GC cut in the back and a dovetail job to the front. Cutting the front would logically mean some sort of a refinish. I'd also prefer a different grip safety for carry, as well as extended ambis.

(Monroe County)

I love GC's But " I " would not carry one because of its Tolerances as well, I would prefer a NON custom 1911 from a good company like SA, Colt, Dan wesson, Any that have a great stamp of reliability from both users and Manufacturers.
    Does this look like my Care Face.....

(Lackawanna County)

I am not here to shove anything down anyones throat. I gave my opinion as an instructor and thats it. You carry what ever you want. Have a nice day!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    My issue with unaltered GCs for carry is more to do with the relative tightness of the innards and the possibility of target sights that might fly off at any given moment, like the Eliasons (sp.?). I would think that, at the very least, you would want to invest in carry sights that fit the GC cut in the back and a dovetail job to the front. Cutting the front would logically mean some sort of a refinish. I'd also prefer a different grip safety for carry, as well as extended ambis.
    As a rule GCT are not that tight in comparison to many semi guns. Weak side charging is not a problem like it could be on a Baer that has not been broken in yet. Colts as a rule are not hand fited to tight tolerances. The XSE series with the FLGR is a little tighter but that is spring related and not because of tight build standards. Colt switched over to CNC machines about 8 months ago and the later pistols are not tight either...

I have never seen a Bo-Mar/Eli sight fall off. I have seen some Novak cut sights shift but not Bo-Mar types. John Harrison makes a fixed rear for a Bo.. cut slide so you wouldn't need to do any cutting if you wanted to go that route. www.harrisoncustom.com Here is the sight.>http://www.harrisoncustom.com/News.aspx#
    I actually prefer strong side safeties only on my carry pistols... Thanks for the input as they say "one size doesn't fit all" especially when it comes to your carry gun...

Springfield with night sights and extended slide release and ambi safety.

shoots well enough to be proud of, but not so tight that it might jamb up on you when needed. trigger is good out of the box (not bad, not great)
    This Space For Rent

I actually prefer strong side safeties only on my carry pistols... Thanks for the input as they say "one size doesn't fit all" especially when it comes to your carry gun...
    When you've had this (warning: graphic footage of surgery) done to your right wrist you'll appreciate the necessity of ambidextrous safeties. I hope you appreciate that input, too.

I have owned a number of 1911 .45s. Best value is my primary carry gun. It's a Springfield Armory "loaded" full size in black stainless. Currently lists just under $1000 on their website. It's a compromise gun between the fully loaded FBI gun costing over twice as much, and a base gun. The FBI issues the SA .45 to their SWAT Team members, and recently began allowing agents to buy them as carry guns to replace the issued Glocks. (Son is an agent and SWAT member).

Most of the ones mentioned so far are fine guns. There's a wide range of personal preference and prejudice on this particular topic.

Try some - buy what you like

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast