Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Has anyone taken the Pa Act 120 training?

I know this may be a broad question but I'm looking for individuals who have taken this. Either privately or through a law enforcement organization.

I'm currently trying to persue a career in law enforcenment. Long story short I don't have VP or any high college education. However, the PSP accepts cadets with a minimal 2 years at a job with arresting capabilities (Ie borough departments, etc)

I will be (95% sure) getting laid off in a month or so. I'm trying to see if it's worth paying for the Act 120 privately and using my laid off downtime to advance my education and then try like hell to get started in a local department and go from there. It runs about 5-6 grand and last 7 months or so.

Due to my parents being right, I should've applied myself more in school and even though I do have a diploma, I would be in law enforcement now. But when your 16/17/18. What do your parents know

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Has anyone taken the Pa Act 120 training?

I've tried to find a few "reviews" online even. I just want to hear people expirence.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    I've tried to find a few "reviews" online even. I just want to hear people expirence.
    My brother should be coming over in a few hours. He took act 120 and is seeking employment as an officer. I will see if I can get him on here and tell you about it.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

...I will be (95% sure) getting laid off in a month or so. I'm trying to see if it's worth paying for the Act 120 privately and using my laid off downtime to advance my education and then try like hell to get started in a local department and go from there. It runs about 5-6 grand and last 7 months or so...
    The prices vary depending on what academy you go to but the course material I'm pretty sure is the same, because it is all mandated by MPOETC. It is 20 weeks long. It cost me $4300 and you have to supply your own firearm (unless you are hired and your department supplies you with one).

Going the alternate route is good because it gives you a leg up against most of the competition out there. The department then doesn't haven't to pay for you to go there and doesn't have to pay you while you go there. So they save a lot of money. If you have the time I say go for it. Which one were you looking to go to?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    The prices vary depending on what academy you go to but the course material I'm pretty sure is the same, because it is all mandated by MPOETC. It is 20 weeks long. It cost me $4300 and you have to supply your own firearm (unless you are hired and your department supplies you with one).

Going the alternate route is good because it gives you a leg up against most of the competition out there. The department then doesn't haven't to pay for you to go there and doesn't have to pay you while you go there. So they save a lot of money. If you have the time I say go for it. Which one were you looking to go to?

That's one of my main reasons is to try and put myself ahead. I'm looking at the center in Harrisburg. It would be about a 2 hour round trip each day for 7 months. Which would stink, bu oh well.

I understood the firearm thing. I have a 4in 9mm. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what all I can get rolling. I believe I saw the next classes start around Nov. 24th. So I have a little time to get squared away.

Thanks for you input Chris!

(Lawrence County)

TIP NUMBER ONE.....

START RUNNING NOW!

HOLLY COW! THAT PART SUCKED! Also, do sit ups, pull ups, push ups, everykind of up you can think of. Start doing Pilates, and maybe try some yoga. Start eating right, get in shape... Act 120 "AIN'T NO JOKE!" as one of the Sgt. put it when I attempted. Push yourself to do EVERYTHING you can to get into shape, then push yourself 10 times further!
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Franklin County)

Yeah the whole excerise thing I've been a little lax on lately. I'm not a lardass but I'm not in shape. I know I have to do it. I've been jogging a day or two here and there lately but it's not enough.

What were some of the phsyical stuff they asked you to do?

(Lawrence County)

You're 22 so.....

1.5 mile run in 14:40
    300 meter run in 64.3 seconds
    1 Rep of 92% of your body weight
    34 pushups in a minute
    38 situps in a minute
    vert jump of 16 inches

and that's the lowest portion to qualify.... don't want to be in the lowest percentile! TRUST ME!
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Franklin County)

I feel I could do the running and the jumping. It's the lack of upper body strength is where I'm going to lack. I've never lifted weights. I work in an industry where I pick up heavy things every now and then (75lbs or so) but I'm afraid that will be my weakness.

I guess a gym membership is in store tomorrow. And busting my butt to make up for lost time.

...It would be about a 2 hour round trip each day for 7 months. Which would stink...!
    Hell yeah it would stink. Nothing closer??

Are you sure about that 7 month thing?? Like I said mine is only like 4 1/2 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast