Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default concealed carry of fixed-blade in PA?

Is it legal to carry a concealed fixed-blade cutting tool of any length in PA, outside of Philadelphia, assuming there are no local ordinances against it? I am speaking of montgomery county, specifically.

I was looking for something to carry in a boot, and found these plastic Executive Letter Opener II things at http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...ordNo=1&sc=yes

To me these are ideal because they would not be so sharp as to cut myself accidently and would fit nicely in a boot.

If it is legal, are there any restrictions on where it can be carried? Obviously you wouldn't be walking through schools and courthouses with anything that could be considered a weapon but what about driving through school "zones", or being inside bars, restaurants, parks, etc?

If it matters, I do have a concealed weapons permit.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: concealed carry of fixed-blade in PA?

Sorry I meant to post this under the Concealed Carry forum. I'm not sure how to move it but if an admin would I would be appreciative.

(Allegheny County)

In reading the crimes code section on prohibited offensive weapons, only switchblades and such seem to be a no-no. The wording is such that it may seem a double edged knife is likely to be illegal as well. I've carried a fixed blade as backup to a firearm most days and haven't had any problems, including having to use said fixed blade to prevent bodily harm. I did however receive a verbal warning on my knife being double edged in that instance. Also, there isn't any restriction on blade length from what I've gathered. It all mainly revolves around spring/button activated knives or similar. I don't have my crimes code in front of me right this second, but it's section 908-prohibited offensive weapons.

(Montgomery County)

Unlike firearms, however, PA localities may enact their own laws regarding blades.

(Westmoreland County)

Not trying to hijack. But even knowing full well that they are illegal how come every knive gun show that comes to town at least one knife dealer has a pocket full of switchblade type knives. Granted it shows they have balls but I've seen this directly the last three shows I've been to.

You look at the knive table and show intestest they see you notice nothing you like... they pull out of they're pockets one or two (i've seen one guy pull out 5) switchblades in various styles. Why try to get some unknowing gun show visitor in trouble by hocking your illegal blades which they may infact not know are illegal??
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingdonhavoc View Post
    Not trying to hijack. But even knowing full well that they are illegal how come every knive gun show that comes to town at least one knife dealer has a pocket full of switchblade type knives. Granted it shows they have balls but I've seen this directly the last three shows I've been to.

You look at the knive table and show intestest they see you notice nothing you like... they pull out of they're pockets one or two (i've seen one guy pull out 5) switchblades in various styles. Why try to get some unknowing gun show visitor in trouble by hocking your illegal blades which they may infact not know are illegal??
    They are only illegal to carry, I believe...not illegal to own.

(Westmoreland County)

They can sell them to LEOs and military.

(Montgomery County)

thanks for the replies. I will have to check with the local townships but as far as I know there are no local restrictions on it. That plastic "knife" I linked do does have a double edge.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zugg124 View Post
    That plastic "knife" I linked do does have a double edge.
    yes. i would personally be worried the courts might construe that to be a "dagger" and, thus, on the list of prohibited offensive weapons.

i dunno...i'm not sure anyone does...but i would personally not carry that for that reason.
    F*S=k

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingdonhavoc View Post

Are you really seeing "switch blades" or assisted opening knives. There is a big difference and it is my understanding that the law sees a difference as well. Many of the hgh quality factory names manufacture and sell assisted opening knives (Benchmade, SOG, etc.) but they do NOT make switch blades as far as I am aware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast