Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question AR .308 barrels and triggers

I've been reading up a bit on the possibility of a .308 AR and have run into a question on barrels. I know that the upper receivers generally fall into either being Armalite or DPMS pattern, and mags are either FAL or some other pattern. How about the barrels? Are they at least somewhat uniform so if I buy for example a Rock River gun on the cheap but then want to upgrade the barrel later can I do so freely, more or less? How about the trigger? When it comes down to it, it seems those are the two most crucial pieces to tweak for accuracy if I want to get super nitpicky good with it. I know I have a long way to go to get to that point but when I do I'd like to be able to make the most of it. Your thoughts?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Default Re: AR .308 barrels and triggers

Since you live in NY, I'd stick to the BM (rifle had a lot of issues) or RRA since they use metric FAL mags...otherwise you are looking at a limit of 10rd mags if you go with an Armalite or DPMS pattern.

The "AR10" platform is not mil spec, so it seems that the two most popular types are from Armalite and DPMS. I'd say more companies are adopting the DPMS pattern...IE look at what Magpul has done with the 308Pmags...they follow DPMS...that says a lot.

Barrels shouldn't be an issue.

Triggers...just send off your trigger to Bill Springfield and he will work his magic. Or just replace the standard springs with a spring set from JP and you will be GTG.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: AR .308 barrels and triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I know that the upper receivers generally fall into either being Armalite or DPMS pattern, and mags are either FAL or some other pattern.
    RRA, to my knowledge, is the only manufacturer that uses FAL mags.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    RRA since they use metric FAL mags
    RRA uses both metric and inch mags.

I have the RRA. Great rifle.

Be safe (and of a higher caliber ).

Scott