Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Remington 870 Tactical/Home Defense vs Express Tactical

Is anyone familiar with these arms and their effective/functional differences? I've no shotgun experience and am looking for a good all around gun.

Remington 870 Tactical / Home Defense (#25077)
    12ga., 7-shot, 18” brl., synthetic stock

Remington 870 Express Tactical (#81202)
    12ga., pump, 18” brl., powder coat finish, breacher choke tube, 7-shot

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Remington 870 Tactical/Home Defense vs Express Tactical

good all-'round home defense weapon or sporting gun? I wouldnt necessarily consider a tactical model as a "good all-around gun" for what I would be using it for. 870 is a very solid platform though.
    Last edited by ellik; August 27th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Home defense, neighborhood patrol, SHTF type situations.

Not a sport shooter.

(Cambria County)

I'm asking as much as suggesting..... seems they are pretty much the same. Would the difference be in the size shells it will take. You know, 3 inch magnum or something like that?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lancaster County)

ether one would work.I have an 870 that I have had some work done on it by Vang Comp and It is a top notch HD shotgun.the only differents I see is do you want the door breacher or not.the 870 has almost unlimted after market hang on's.I but a pistol grip 13in stock and changed the forend.send it to vang comp for ghost ring sights and a ported barrel job.I also added anti-walk pins and a oversized safety button.did this over a couple of years so the cost wasn't so bad.but right out of the box all you really need to do is get a case of cheap shells and shoot the hell out of it you'll be surprised how much that will help to smooth out the action.the 870 is still one of the top go to HD shotgun.best of luck any other question send me a message and I'll help you if I can.crazywolf

(Allegheny County)

That powder coat finish on the Tactical Express is absolute horse shit.

I've seen krylon adhese to water better than that crap is put on the gun. It will begin flaking on day 1. Or the second anything contacts the coating - and it will continue to peel from all over from there on out. All the edges on the receiver, around the magazine tube retaining ring. Where the magazine tube screws onto the frame. It's all going to peel. Then the barrel will where it enters the receiver. Then the receiver where the barrel enters...

I bought it because it was the evil-est thing on the rack in an 18" HD shotgun. Mainly because the soft silver vein finish looked absolultely amazing against the black synthetic furniture as well. I liked the 870's action over the mossy. And so I just got it.

I'm having it professionally re-coated next week. I don't abuse any weapon I own either. It's down nothing but go to the range and sit on a bench between shooting it. (It is however flawless in it's action. Gobbling up any ammo that will fit in the chamber until your shoulder gives out.)

Actually the ONLY down side is the finish. Once the coatings off... the thing will flash just from sitting out in the warm / moist PA air inside my house.

As far as function... I'd stake my life on it without even blinking. The LOP on it is pretty long for me. I'm not a big guy though, and while it was manageable. I prefer the knoxx spec ops pistol grip adjustable stock I put on it better than the factory one. (And the hogue forend) The syn plastic forend it came with was a little brutal on cold hands when shooting full power loads without gloves. I swapped it for a hogue and it's been an absolute dream to shoot since.

Don't buy it for the finish and you'll be happy. Even if you do you'll be happy you ended up with the 870. But from the first time you pull the barrel to clean it. It will begin to peel on edges and little seams. Which sucks... but I still wouldn't trade it for any other pump gun - for this task.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; August 27th, 2009 at 08:20 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I recently purchased the model #25077 the OP listed. Mine has a corn cob forend and it is a no excuses, rough and tumble defense gun. I bought it because it is all about function and reliability. There aren't any crappy heat shields, goofy grips, rifle sights or anything on it to make it tacticool...it has everything a defense gun needs, a super reliable platform, short open choke barrel, magazine extension and synthetic furniture. I looked at the Mossbergs, Remingtons, NEF's and Benellis. I chose the Remington because it feels natural in hand, felt like it was well put together and because I trust it will work when I need it most. I suggest you not worry about intimidation factor or add ons and go back to basics.