Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hunting from Horseback

Does anyone know if PA has a restriction on hunting from horseback? I understand that the SGL's and State Parks limit equestrians to designated trails, but it is my understanding that with some exceptions, much of the ANF is open for cross-country riding. Recently I've gotten the crazy idea I want to take my horse and pack back into the ANF for a few days during rifle season. I cant find any regulations in the PA Game Commission website that address it one way or the other.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Hunting from Horseback

If there is no law against it, then it's legal... I don't know if you would find it in the hunting regulations, but if you go on their site you can pull up the unabridged PDF document of PA Title 50 which would definatly be able to tell you yes or no... I personally wouldn't do it in an area with a high amount of hunters, but on private land, if legal, it would be an adventure... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lancaster County)

MMMM big deer to shoot !
    No longer posting

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ellik View Post
    Does anyone know if PA has a restriction on hunting from horseback? I understand that the SGL's and State Parks limit equestrians to designated trails, but it is my understanding that with some exceptions, much of the ANF is open for cross-country riding. Recently I've gotten the crazy idea I want to take my horse and pack back into the ANF for a few days during rifle season. I cant find any regulations in the PA Game Commission website that address it one way or the other.
    I've seen this question asked on other websites. Most people responded about the effect of landing poorly after the horse reacted badly...

Seems most don't recomend shooting from horseback.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    I've seen this question asked on other websites. Most people responded about the effect of landing poorly after the horse reacted badly...

That's where the adventure part comes in... lol I'm sure using a bow would be the best bet on horseback... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

you guys havent heard of CMS (cowboy mounted shooting)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im0MfTYQlqo

Im working with a starter pistol right now. I should be able to fire a rifle from his back soon. and if not.... well.... like you said, it'll be an adventure.

(Beaver County)

Bow works very well from horse back, deer just stand there watching, they aint afraid of horses.
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ellik View Post
    Im working with a starter pistol right now. I should be able to fire a rifle from his back soon. and if not.... well.... like you said, it'll be an adventure.
    Don't forget Physics...I remember my cousin stepping up on a blowdown and shooting a 6 point w/ his .308; we found him nursing his sore head wondering if he hit it...we did find the deer about 75 yards away...he collected a huge lump on the back of his head. Maybe you'll be OK if you don't use a mega-magnum...after all it's your horse...

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post

Being raised around horses and guns, I have seen it done many, many times. A good portion of my long rifle range is horse pasture and have shot amongst them. Even had to wait more than a few times for the horses to clear the area

I know Williamsport Police Mounted Unit members that have incorporated it in their training. My friend on that unit goes out west every year hunting and has done so from horseback.

As to the OP, I do not know what the PA regulations are, but it would be silly to prohibit it.

Be safe (and HI-YO SILVER, AWAY!).

Scott

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Jack View Post
    Bow works very well from horse back, deer just stand there watching, they aint afraid of horses.
    thats actually one thing Ive noticed. Ive spent countless hours in the filed trying to learn deer patterns, get perfect locations for tree stands, etc trying to get close to deer. Since I got my horse I can basically walk right up to them. lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast