Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Elk in northern PA?

I was reading elsewhere that there is a small number of elk in northern PA. How well is this herd doing? Can they get to sufficient numbers to have a real viable population that will expand to other areas and eventually offer a huntable population? Do they get as big as elk found out west? What can be done to further help them?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Elk in northern PA?

there are definitely more than a small number of elk in northcentral PA. there used to be a small number...now there are at least close to a buttload of them.

not exactly a scientific analysis, i know...but, seriously, i grew up in elk county. there used to be a few, but now there are a lot--enough that they have started to allow limited hunting again. and enough that there are more than a few people complaining about them hanging out in their back yards.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

as for size, wasnt it last year's PA hunting rules and reg's publication that had a monster bull killed by a 14 or 15yo with a bow? I cant seem to find that picture online, but I remember seeing it and thinking someone would be lucky to kill a bull like that on a high-money trip to the Rockies.

(Allegheny County)

Benezette, PA has a large Elk population. http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/elk.htm

Not sure about hunting them.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Jefferson County)

There has been a lottery drawing for elk licenses for many many years. It will be centuries before they are of "huntable" populations(open like deer), until then harvests will be by lottery drawings.

They aren't limited to Elk County anymore. They have spread into Clearfield, Cameron, McKean, Potter, Clinton and Centre Counties. Possibly getting close to being in Jefferson, Forest, and Warren counties in the next few years.

There were pictures of some taken down below Curwensville(Clearfield Co) just this past winter.

They get pretty big. All the cows and bulls I've seen up close and personal were were 400+ to getting close to 1000lbs. We've had bovine on our farm smaller than some of the bull elk I've seen up near Benezette.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 27th, 2009 at 01:56 PM.

The last time we were in Benezette I actually felt sorry for many of the farmers. Their privacy has been destroyed by tourists who want to see the elk. Some drive autos; others come in small planes or by helicopter in order to watch these magnificent animals graze the farmer's fields.

The local people can't do anything about these beasts except to let them eat and wander wherever they will! There is, as someone else mentioned, a limited hunting season with the permits controlled by lottery.

The ones we saw were largely unafraid of humans; and, I watched while a few tourists took potentially dangerous chances with these huge, very well horned, beasts. I doubt that most of these Elk would be much of a challenge to harvest. (Personally, I'd want more sport than chasing these, 'garden and yard eaters' seemed to offer.)

(Somerset County)

There is a "no hunt" area around Benezette. So the yard and garden eaters aren't hunted. Don't feel to bad for the residents, many of them are making dollars from the elk.

From the PGC website:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=471&q=150286

I didn't look but I would imagine that Elk County has tourist info available too.

Dale

(Chester County)

I have not yet seen an elk in PA although I frequently see their lodges.

Bad humor, but I am bored.

(Cambria County)

Just had something on the news about people feeding the Elk corn. They can't digest it and end up dying.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I was reading elsewhere that there is a small number of elk in northern PA. How well is this herd doing? Can they get to sufficient numbers to have a real viable population that will expand to other areas and eventually offer a huntable population? Do they get as big as elk found out west? What can be done to further help them?
    Well coming from Elk County... there is a large heard living here... I have seen many elk around my house and around the area of St.Marys... Back in the 1800's the elk were killed off... In the early 1900's they were brought in by train. The Elk living here are decedents of the western Elk... For just being kicked off a train and not acclimated they are doing quite well... The heard has grown to such size they just recently started to allow hunting…. This is the first time hunting elk was seen since the time they were killed off… As for helping them… well they are just fine I guess…. Come down to St.Marys Elk Co. in the fall months… when the leaves are turning and the Elk are bugling and mating… It is a sight to see…

If you have any questions about the area or the elk just PM me and i will do my best...
    Last edited by Bug44; August 28th, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
    ΑΣΦ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast