Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Any gunsmith's in the Milford (Pike county) Area?

My Remington 700 .223 is nearly impossible to cyle a round. WIth snap caps or if the gun is empty, it cycles smoothly. Loading or extraacting a round, I have to really wrench it open and closed. Any ideas? I need to know if there are any gunsmiths in my area.
    Last edited by kbm6893; August 26th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Any gunsmith's in the Milford (Pike county) Area?

I dont mean to be flippant but make sure it is the right amm ammo, make sure your gun is actually a .223 rem it is stamped on the side of the barrel. If the ammo and gun is .223 then you have a problem, make sure the chamber is clean , try a different ammo , amo could be out of spec, is it factory ammo?

I am not a Remington fan but i dont think they would let a 700 out the factory like that.

There is a Gunsmith up on route 209 in Brodheadsville, Schults i believe is the name he is right on the left side before you get to the WAWA at the intersection of route 715 like you are turning off to go to Weaver's firearms.

Let me know how it turns out try a different brand of ammo first .

Nyman

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    I dont mean to be flippant but make sure it is the right amm ammo, make sure your gun is actually a .223 rem it is stamped on the side of the barrel. If the ammo and gun is .223 then you have a problem, make sure the chamber is clean , try a different ammo , amo could be out of spec, is it factory ammo?

I am not a Remington fan but i dont think they would let a 700 out the factory like that.

There is a Gunsmith up on route 209 in Brodheadsville, Schults i believe is the name he is right on the left side before you get to the WAWA at the intersection of route 715 like you are turning off to go to Weaver's firearms.

Let me know how it turns out try a different brand of ammo first .

Nyman
    It is the right ammo. It's a .223, and I have used Wolff, Silver Bear ( I know, cheap), but also match grade Remington, Winchester, and Federal. I do not use .556 in it. Something is wrong with the gun. I called Remington, and they said it is still under warranty (by one month) and Gander Mountain is an authorized service center, so it shouldn't cost me a thing. Unless the cycled the bolt with real ammo at the factory, they might not have caught it. Empty or with a snap cap, it cycles fine. Put real ammo in there, and it's a bitch.

I just hope they don't give me grief since I never sent the warranty in for the gun. It's still sitting in the manual.

(Monroe County)

Yeah get on it before the warranty expires, if the warranty expires they might try sticking the shipping costs to you.
    Or just drive it up to Gander mountain yourself.

Did you shoot the wolf ammo in it or just cycled it?

If so did you shoot the wolf ammo first?

Ntyman

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Yeah get on it before the warranty expires, if the warranty expires they might try sticking the shipping costs to you.
    Or just drive it up to Gander mountain yourself.

Did you shoot the wolf ammo in it or just cycled it?

If so did you shoot the wolf ammo first?

Ntyman
    Wollf was shot first, then Golden Bear, then the better stuff. Only fired about 200 rounds through the gun, 90% of it being cheap shit. But the bolt is way too hard to work. Something is up with it.

(Pike County)

I would look into the chamber and clean it a few times. If shooting wolf the green steel cased stuff, it has a coating on it. Some laquor(or how ever you spell it) you might have build up in the chamber. The snap caps might not be as tight due to being not a precision size.

As for a gunsmith. hard to say. goto either pike county outfitters, by apple valley/napa auto. The guys in there might know someone. Or if you can get your hands on some go/no go guages that would be better.

I also know Joe at Keystone arms has a sign by the door for gunsmith services. unfortunatly he is only open thurs-sat. might be better to e-mail him

Snert.