Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default 2 Charged After Prank Turns Deadly

A Carmel High School graduate jailed in the fatal shooting of a friend at Purdue University was released on $10,000 bond Sunday.

Cory Lynch, 22, is facing preliminary charges of reckless homicide and felony pointing of a firearm in the shooting of Landon Siela, 21, Fort Wayne, about 7 p.m. Saturday.

Lynch, a Purdue junior, told police the shooting in his campus apartment was an accident. West Lafayette Police Sgt. Jason Philhower said Lynch and his roommate, William Calderon, 22, Fort Wayne, were playing a joke on Siela when a semi-automatic handgun discharged and the bullet struck Siela in the neck.

"They said they wanted to scare him when he came out of the bathroom," Philhower said.

Siela was not a student but was visiting Lynch and Calderon on the weekend before classes start at Purdue.

Philhower said the men were drinking liquor at the time. Lynch and Calderon took breath tests and would have been considered legally drunk had they been driving. Philhower would not say what they registered on the breath tests.

Lynch and Calderon, also a Purdue junior, pointed handguns at Siela when he left the bathroom, police said. They thought both guns were unloaded, but Lynch's pistol fired a shot, police said.

One gun was legally registered to Calderon, but police were unsure who owned the other one.

Lynch and Calderon called police from their cell phones after the shooting. One student was giving Siela cardiopulmonary resuscitation when police and paramedics arrived.

Calderon was charged with misdemeanor pointing a firearm and false informing. He also posted bond and was released from the Tippecanoe County Jail.

Lynch graduated from Carmel High School in 2005. Attempts to reach him Sunday night were unsuccessful.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...ges+in+slaying

http://news.aol.com/article/prank-re...-near%2F636193

this is sad

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 2 Charged After Prank Turns Deadly

What's false informing?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    What's false informing?
    I was wondering that myself...

(Monroe County)

False reporting or informing
    Sec. 2. (a) As used in this section, "consumer product" has the meaning set forth in IC 35-45-8-1.
    (b) As used in this section, "misconduct" means a violation of a departmental rule or procedure of a law enforcement agency.
    (c) A person who reports, by telephone, telegraph, mail, or other written or oral communication, that:
    (1) the person or another person has placed or intends to place an explosive, a destructive device, or other destructive substance in a building or transportation facility;
    (2) there has been or there will be tampering with a consumer product introduced into commerce; or
    (3) there has been or will be placed or introduced a weapon of mass destruction in a building or a place of assembly;
    knowing the report to be false commits false reporting, a Class D felony.
    (d) A person who:
    (1) gives a false report of the commission of a crime or gives false information in the official investigation of the commission of a crime, knowing the report or information to be false;

(2) gives a false alarm of fire to the fire department of a governmental entity, knowing the alarm to be false;
    (3) makes a false request for ambulance service to an ambulance service provider, knowing the request to be false;
    (4) gives a false report concerning a missing child (as defined in IC 10-13-5-4) or missing endangered adult (as defined in IC 12-7-2-131.3) or gives false information in the official investigation of a missing child or missing endangered adult knowing the report or information to be false;
    (5) makes a complaint against a law enforcement officer to the state or municipality (as defined in IC 8-1-13-3) that employs the officer:
    (A) alleging the officer engaged in misconduct while performing the officer's duties; and
    (B) knowing the complaint to be false; or
    (6) makes a false report of a missing person, knowing the report or information is false;
    commits false informing, a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it substantially hinders any law enforcement process or if it results in harm to an innocent person.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.56; Acts 1977, P.L.341, SEC.1; P.L.326-1987, SEC.3; P.L.49-1989, SEC.23; P.L.156-2001, SEC.12; P.L.123-2002, SEC.39; P.L.2-2003, SEC.96; P.L.232-2003, SEC.1; P.L.140-2005, SEC.7; P.L.92-2007, SEC.5.

IC 35-44-2-3

i would assume he didnt quite tell the whole story maybe.

(Centre County)

Thats what I was thinking it may be... he gave a bogus story in the 911 call maybe...

This is very sad and disappointing

(Delaware County)

idiots with guns..gun are not toys..sorry to disappoint anyone who thought they were.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

At what point does one get too "loaded" to forget to check to see if the gun is loaded or not?

Stupid asshats! And using a real gun to prank someone?

Slightly off topic- yesterday I saw a video that was posted online of some drunk dingaling shooting himself in the arm so he could have a cool scar. He is then yuck yucking with his buddies as the wound is oozing some blood. Related to this- way back when I was in college I was trying to find stuff on artists that did art that had anything to do with gun themes, and found this one guy who did a performance art piece where he has a friend shoot him in an arm. I also found some artists who shoot hunks of clay, then have the hunks dry and then be fired in a kiln. Amazing exit holes...
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Monroe County)

I knew a guy who reached in his pocket for his 25 jennings and shot himself in the leg.
    And one of my best friends back in 93 put a mag in and chambered the round with the gun pointing upward, shot himself under the chin, he died,, still tears me up..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    At what point does one get too "loaded" to forget to check to see if the gun is loaded or not?
    I don't see where getting drunk has anything to do with checking to see if the gun is loaded before pointing it at someone. Seems they broke most if not all the rules.

1.All guns are always loaded.
    2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
    4.Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Yep, broke all of them.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast