Mill Creek Sportsman Association
    1877 Windy Hill Road
    P. O. Box 10413
    Lancaster, PA 17602
    717-393-6416
    Mike Ruhl, President
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

Thumbs down Mill Creek isn't FA friendly

As important as it is to have a nice place to shoot, and Mill Creek really is, I would avoid this range like the plague. About 2-3 years ago a number of us FA shooters were heartily invited to join and, at one point, one of us offered to give thousands of dollars to the club to build a FA only range on the property. Then, the club VP (formerly on New Jersey, if that tells you something), decided the FA boys were unwelcome. He worked against the club management by contacting and riling up the neighbors with phony "noise" complaints. Finally, he threatened to sue the club president if the club management didn't ban FA.

Well, the president and the board folded like a cheap suit and we were banned. As a point of interest, no neighbor ever came up to the range to complain about noise, in fact, they came to watch and we let them shoot our MG's. The cops were never called. The range target stands were never damaged. In short, we did nothing wrong. Except possibly shooting a type of firearm that others don't understand why we need or want.

As a final insult, the club went to several township meetings and tried (and failed) to get MG's banned. The local newspaper printed the story. I got a few letters to the editor printed but....... I can dig out the newspaper articles and post them if anyone is interested.

As a note of interest, the VP that started the trouble died some months back. If anyone shoots there how about asking if they allow FA?

John C

(Lancaster County)

John, thanks for the info. Next time I see Mike Ruhl the President I will ask him. If any thing the neighbors are even getting closer the way they are building but quite a few are members. I have belonged since August and I never heard the topic come up.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

Hey Wayne. Yeah, but have you tried to shoot FA!!! I can't remember the presidents name so I don't know if he was the one who turned on us. I would be interested in knowing how the range is going now.

Something else I just remembered. During the board meeting fiasco when we were being banned, one of the regulars there is a big NRA supporter even to the point of having a 10" diameter NRA seal on his briefcase. Well, he was one of the biggest loudmouths against the FA shooters. He even displayed an empty 50 BMG brass cartridge as an example of what we were shooting (although none of us had fired one there).

Perhaps the management will realize that once a certain gun type has been banned, others may follow. (Sarcastically) After all, I no longer hunt. I don't know why guys need hunting rifles. Neighbors are too close for those powerful killing machines. And they sure are noisy, especially compared to a little 9 MM subgun. Let's ban them too. Shotguns? OMG, they pepper the area with pellets. No one could possibly know where each one is going. And the shotgunners actually shoot into the air on purpose. Who needs 'em. Handguns? The worst. Weapon of choice for gang bangers. Is our club (insert your clubs name here) training murderers?

Hmmmm. Who is left? Have a nice day, John C

(Lancaster County)

That was a great comedic satire of idiots. Thanks for the laugh John. There are still a lot of older guys (I am 54 myself so I think you may get my drift) there that I think may not understand you or your point of view. I know there is a fairly strong group there that are into Military rifles. I will gladly bring up the point as I said next time I see Mike. Personally I prefer going there when no one is around. I work from my home so I can blow off a couple of hours most anyday and get in some range time.
    --------------------
    Wayne

---------------

How did you figure out I'm your age (actually 57)? I also work from home (consulting engineer) so I usually hit the ranges alone too. It's a real shame about Mill Creek especially the FA only range they were going to build on with our labor and money. The big donor is a doctor in Sinking Spring and he wanted a place for he and his kid to shoot. Is there an older fellow almost always there by the name of Bill something or other? Skinny with a scraggly beard? He was our biggest supporter and said he would defent us until the end. Unfortunately, he must've seen the end real quick as he was mute at the meeting.

You can e.mail me about Mill Creek but this string is probably the best way to keep everybody up to speed.

John C

(Lancaster County)

I think I know the guy you are talking about. Nice guy but I think he iseasily overruled. They have been looking and begging for ways yo bring money in and have a lot of younger new members that may support the issue if raised again. I know my AR-15 gets a lot of attention as does the Cx4 Beretta carbine so if there is still interest they may be more open.

As for working from home you will like this I am a Headhunter (the screen name was not that creative)
    --------------------
    Wayne

---------------

Mention my name to Bill. Is the No Rapid Firing sign still up on the right side of the ranges? That's the troublemaker.

You know, there's all the money they need or want just waiting to be spent by the FA shooters. When you talk to the prez let me know the outcome.

John C

(Lancaster County)

Will do John and I will get back to you ASAP. Thanks for info.
    --------------------
    Wayne

---------------

(Berks County)

Maybe you should tell the President that there are a bunch of us, who would love an outdoor FA range, and we would even be willing to pay a larger dues amount for FA play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast