Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: question

Default question

I'm new to the Forum & appreciate any help you can give me.

I am a resident of NJ who has a NJ Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, I also have a State of Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License (to carry in 32 states, including reciprocity with PA). I do not have a NJ carry permit.
    I also own a second home in PA, although not a full-time resident.

I have 2 questions: With these credentilas can I obtain a Pennsylvania Carry Permit/License? What do I need to do in order to be able to purchase a firearm in PA--is there a seperate license I need to obtain?
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by rnp; August 23rd, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: question

You will not be able to get a PA LTCF with a purchaser ID card. You will need a NJ carry permit.

Your purchaser ID will allow you to purchase long guns in PA if NJ's law require such ID for long guns. To buy a handgun in a state you do not reside in, it must be shipped to a FFL in your home state to complete the transfer. No carry/purchase license, permit, or ID will allow a person to directly buy a handgun in another state - federal law.

No Pa LTCF without a NJ carry permit. Your Fla. license will cover you just fine in Pa.
    Long guns can be purchased and taken home with you at time of purchase.

Handguns must be shipped to a FFL in New Jersey, you will need a valid pistol purchase permit and your FPID to take possession of handgun from the receiving FFL in New jersey.
    I believe any firearms you purchase out of state must comply with New Jersey law (AWB compliant, Mag capacity, etc).

(Berks County)

I don't know how you would go about getting a NR PA LTCF, that would take some research but from what I've heardin order to get one you must first have one in your home state. Maybe by having a FL lic. you can get around that, someone else with more knowledge on that should be around soon.
    On the point of purchasing a firearm in PA, with your NJ FID you can buy a long gun but I believe it will have to be shipped to NJ to an FFL for the transfer so why bother just buy in NJ. You cannot buy a hand gun without your NJ Permit to purchase a handgun (different from an FID) so even if you had one of those again it would have to be shipped to NJ FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by matty70 View Post
    I don't know how you would go about getting a NR PA LTCF, that would take some research but from what I've heardin order to get one you must first have one in your home state. Maybe by having a FL lic. you can get around that, someone else with more knowledge on that should be around soon.
    On the point of purchasing a firearm in PA, with your NJ FID you can buy a long gun but I believe it will have to be shipped to NJ to an FFL for the transfer so why bother just buy in NJ. You cannot buy a hand gun without your NJ Permit to purchase a handgun (different from an FID) so even if you had one of those again it would have to be shipped to NJ FFL.
    There is no "getting around that" as far as getting a non-resident LTCF from PA. The applicant MUST have a carry license or permit or whatever name his home state calls it (if that state does indeed issue them).

It's in the PA Uniform Firearms Act.

(e) Issuance of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

<snip>

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

(Lawrence County)

Your Fl license is good in Pa. No need for a Pa LTCF as previously stated.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What part of this DON'T you understand?