Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Any opinions on the Walthers PPS in .40 caliber?

I am currently shooting a Beretta 9000s - F. Some gun writers say it is Beretta's worst ever gun. My experiences have not been bad. Overall, they have been good. The only real negatives are a lot of trigger slack, a slightly big grip, and a small serrated rack to get a grip on. Reliability and accuracy are there.

I looked at a Walthers PPS in .40 S&W (which is what the Beretta is in) and was smitten. But....like everything else there has to be some trade offs. I am interested in any experience, first or second hand, or comments you may have heard about this gun. Thanks.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Any opinions on the Walthers PPS in .40 caliber?

My PPS is a 9mm, I really wanted the 40 BUT I didn't want to wait anymore. I bought it when they first were released and VERY hard to come by. I'm very happy with my purchase now and ammo is a little easier to find in 9 then it is in 40 (my Glock 23) so it works out OK.

I can't think of any drawbacks to the PPS. I have had ZERO problems, the gun has been flawless. I have the larger backstrap on the gun because it fits my hand a little better in that config. I think you would be happy with the Walther ...

(Northampton County)

My wife carries the PPS in .40. She likes it, although since it so small and light it does have some snappy recoil. Not unmanageable, but nothing I would want to put 200 rounds through in a single range trip.

The mag release on a Walther is awful. That's my opinion, at least. I'm sure you can get used to it, but speed reloads are not happening. I can't figure out why Walther would continue to use the trigger guard release. I'm a big fan of "commonality in training" and if you're used to a standard mag release - this one will screw you up.

All that said, my wife loves it and operates it with no issues.

Best of luck!
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Northampton County)

I shot a PPS in 9mm today - it shoots great. The mag release is a little dissapointing to me for what I want it for. Trigger break seems like a Glock but reset is longer. I might get one for a new BUG.

I shoot a pps .40, and it performs great. I shot a 100 rounds first time out and 50 each time after with no problems. I like the mag release, but i'm not used to standard releases.
    The recoil is not as big as some have said, for me its a great gun. My son will be getting one soon. My wife shoots the p22.

(Philadelphia County)

I love my PPS in 9mm. It's on my hip as much as possible. I have shot about 400 some rounds with no failures. It does have some snappy recoil but like it was mentioned, it's manageable. I got used to the mag release very quickly and when I switch to my other handgun I automatically go for the walther style release. It's a great buy, go for it. I mean, you could always use another firearm, right?

(Butler County)

Sweet - I have also been eyeing this up for a future purchase! Glad to see the positive reviews.
    H&K USP Compact 9mm//SA XD-9//SA XDs 45//S&W 442

My best friend bought his wife a Walther PPS in 9mm, and we ran it through quite a bit of rounds before he gave it to her. I have probably 200 rounds on one, so nothing significant, but I can give you my impression. I have some pretty big meaty paws, so it felt a little bit "small", but that's part of the appeal of it. I was still able to get a good grip on the pistol and shoot it well. The recoil is manageable if you have a good grip on it, but if you weren't hanging on to it, and in .40 S&W, I can see how things could be fairly snappy. The pistol is very accurate, and shot well. I'm like Ungawa, I thought the trigger broken and reminded me of a Glock. I don't shoot enough, so I can't speak much for it's reset length. Honestly, I've never felt like the magazine release was a problem, and works just fine for me. I have a Walther P-22 pistol, and it's basically the same sort of deal, so maybe that's why. Overall, I really liked the pistol, how thin it is, and how concealable it is. I'd definitely recommend them to people, and have to my sister. You should realize it's quite different than what you currently have, which may or may not be what you're looking for.

(Butler County)

Do you feel it would be a suitable CC compared to a USP 9c?
    H&K USP Compact 9mm//SA XD-9//SA XDs 45//S&W 442

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarr View Post
    Do you feel it would be a suitable CC compared to a USP 9c?
    I've handled a USP 9C, but never fired one. So I haven't spent much time with the USP, and haven't had any experience for comparing them side by side. I can honestly say that I think that I definitely think that the Walther is very well suited for concealed carry. I'd be lying if I told you something about choosing one over the other.