Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question

Default Newbie question

Hey, new guy to the forums here. I learned so much thus far but I'm a lil confused on something. I have a LTCF which I orignally thhought was strictly CC. From what I've read I can OC in any of the states that allow without problem so long as I have my LTCF but only a handful of states recgonize my right to CC with the same permit? that makes no sense at all. Furthermore is there any way to make my LTCF regonized by the other states? Ie: take a course or something?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Newbie question

Most states do not regulate open carry at all, in that you do not need any license or permit to open carry. Some require a permit or license to carry open OR concealed. Most require a license or permit to carry concealed. Pennsylvania's LTCF is recognized by 24 other states at the moment, not exactly just a handful.

You can get a Utah or Florida carry permit, which will give you a few more states, but some states (such as New York, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Maryland) do not recognize any permits issued by other states, and are virtually impossible to get natively issued permits. Illinois and Wisconsin do not issue concealed carry permits at all.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

oh, see the last time i checked about 5 states recognized PA's permit, ill have to look it up again to find out whose who.

another question. i recently moved from Allegheny to Butler county. my LTCF permit has my old address on it. now i have asked about 7-10 LEOs if i NEED to get an updated card and 90% of them had the same answer "its good anywhere in the state; so dont worry about it til you have to renew. even with a follow up of "so if there was a situation and you checked it, you wouldnt care that the address doesnt match? and again they said no they dont.

so you guys and gals seem to be more hip to this stuff; do i absolutly have to get a new permit now or can i wait til 2011 to get it renewed? i dont particuarally want to spend another $50 til i have to.

(Lehigh County)

Just wait till renewal time, the license does not become invalid due to a change of address inside the state.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Too-Tall View Post
    Hey, new guy to the forums here. I learned so much thus far but I'm a lil confused on something. I have a LTCF which I orignally thhought was strictly CC. From what I've read I can OC in any of the states that allow without problem so long as I have my LTCF but only a handful of states recgonize my right to CC with the same permit? that makes no sense at all. Furthermore is there any way to make my LTCF regonized by the other states? Ie: take a course or something?
    In PA, you only need a LTCF to carry concealed, to transport a handgun in a vehicle(except to/from certain places), to carry openly or concealed any type of gun in Philly, or to carry openly or concealed any type of gun during a declared emergency.

About half the states honor our LTCF- click this. Some require the gun to be concealed, some dont. Some states forbid OC even if licensed, some dont regulate OC. Some states dont allow loaded and/or uncased guns in a vehicle even if OC is completely unregulated.

Also, there is no "right" to carry concealed if you need a license. It is a privilege that needs permission and it can be revoked. Rights dont require licenses.

The only way to get more states to honor our license is for our Attorney General, and the corresponding signing authority of other states, to sign mutual agreements. Since PA lacks a training, fingerprinting, and/or some other requirements - it is very unlikely we will be adding any other states.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    In PA, you only need a LTCF to carry concealed, to transport a handgun in a vehicle(except to/from certain places), to carry openly or concealed any type of gun in Philly, or to carry openly or concealed any type of gun during a declared emergency.

About half the states honor our LTCF- click this. Some require the gun to be concealed, some dont. Some states forbid OC even if licensed, some dont regulate OC. Some states dont allow loaded and/or uncased guns in a vehicle even if OC is completely unregulated.

Also, there is no "right" to carry concealed if you need a license. It is a privilege that needs permission and it can be revoked. Rights dont require licenses.

The only way to get more states to honor our license is for our Attorney General, and the corresponding signing authority of other states, to sign mutual agreements. Since PA lacks a training, fingerprinting, and/or some other requirements - it is very unlikely we will be adding any other states.
    What knight0334 said...If you want more states get a non resident license from Utah, Florida, Virginia, Arizona..and some more.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What part of this DON'T you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    i apologize i didn't mean to use the term "right" as if they are required to recolonize me. i meant it as in the fact that i have a license and was afforded the privilege to do so.

i forget around here that word carry's a very hefty meaning.

thanks for the info. im not too concerned with it right now; just if the econmy gets any worse and i have to do OTR again, id like to be able to carry in most/all of the states i pass through. even it if means some states i untuck it and others i keep it concealed

(Jefferson County)

i apologize i didn't mean to use the term "right" as if they are required to recolonize me. i meant it as in the fact that i have a license and was afforded the privilege to do so.

i forget around here that word carry's a very hefty meaning.

thanks for the info. im not too concerned with it right now; just if the econmy gets any worse and i have to do OTR again, id like to be able to carry in most/all of the states i pass through. even it if means some states i untuck it and others i keep it concealed

No need to apologize. I only said that because many have forgotten what rights are.

(Lackawanna County)

Actually, I didn't notice that part about "Right to Keep and Bear Arms Openly" in the BoR or the CotUS... or anything about Open (or Concealed) "Bearing" the CotCoPa. either, for that matter.

I guess I must have missed it.

Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(York County)

...just if the econmy gets any worse and i have to do OTR again, id like to be able to carry in most/all of the states i pass through. even it if means some states i untuck it and others i keep it concealed
    Just make sure you're carrying in states that recognize the PA permit. And, unless you own your own rig, make sure your company rules do not prohibit carrying a firearm.

Which brings up a question...do the states that do not regulate open carry apply that to non-residents of those states? Do PA rights apply to (for example) a Marylander who is visiting PA?
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast