Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Some newbie questions

Okay, I am finally in week 6 of putting my LTCF papers through, so I wanted to clarify a couple things.

I read that you must remove your weapon and lock the weapon and ammo in two seperate cases. Is this void once you have your LTCF? As in you may have your weapon in the holster with ammo in the magazine when your driving?

Also, I go to school full time, I know there are no federal/state laws about having a weapon on a College campus, would it be legal to secure my weapon in my vehicle, as in a locked case, until I am off school property? If I do decide to keep it locked, must I have the ammo and weapon in seperate containers, or since I have my LTCF I can keep them together?

Also,
    I read that you DO NOT have to have your LTCF to conceal at work, now this raises the question, may I carry at work? or do I need my Act 235, or is that just for a job that requires a weapon? I wanted to carry my weapon while at work, obviously concealed, but I wasn't sure if I needed my 235.

Thank you!
    Last edited by unknownhavoc; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Some newbie questions

I read that you must remove your weapon and lock the weapon and ammo in two seperate cases. Is this void once you have your LTCF? As in you may have your weapon in the holster with ammo in the magazine when your driving?
    LTCF only removes this requirement for handguns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, machine guns, AOWs, and Destructive Devices. Standard long guns (rifles and shotguns) still must be unloaded with ammo in a separate container while in a vehicle. They do not have to be locked, as far as I know.

Also, I go to school full time, I know there are no federal/state laws about having a weapon on a College campus, would it be legal to secure my weapon in my vehicle, as in a locked case, until I am off school property? If I do decide to keep it locked, must I have the ammo and weapon in seperate containers, or since I have my LTCF I can keep them together?
    It would be legal to store the weapon in your vehicle, in a locked or unlocked case, loaded or unloaded. A locked container bolted to the floor and preferably in the trunk would be recommended.

I read that you DO NOT have to have your LTCF to conceal at work, now this raises the question, may I carry at work? or do I need my Act 235, or is that just for a job that requires a weapon? I wanted to carry my weapon while at work, obviously concealed, but I wasn't sure if I needed my 235.
    As long as your employer (and/or whomever owns the building) is fine with it, AND being armed is NOT REQUIRED for your job, you should be legal, as long as you do not leave the building with the gun concealed on or about your person.

edit; keep in mind that without your LTCF, you are not legally allowed to have a handgun in your vehicle AT ALL unless you are going directly to or from a range, gunshop or gunsmith.
    Last edited by General Geoff; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Some newbie questions

You need to understand the transport Pa. laws to avoid transport trouble. See this link:http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

Read, understand, reread.

Title 18 § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to: 11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    1. Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.
    2. Members of the army, navy or marine corps of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.
    3. The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this Commonwealth.
    4. Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    5. Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
    6. Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.
    7. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.
    8. Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the surrendered firearm.
    9. Persons licensed to hunt, take fur bearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking fur bearers or fishing or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take fur bearers or fish or returning from such places.
    10. Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.
    11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Notice it specifically spells out where you can transport to and from without a LTCF.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan