Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First Handgun Purchase

I would like to purchase my first handgun, for use primarily as a self defense weapon/home protection, and target practice.

I had originally thought about getting a .22 caliber, simply because I have read they are best for training and ease of shooting, but after visiting my friendly neighborhood gun shop, (Chester County PA), it was suggested that I purchase a Glock 23, .40 caliber.

Having not shot either weapons, (yet) my gut tells me that a .40 would be a bit too much, almost like starting a new exercise program by bench pressing my body weight immediately.

This leads me to think a 9mm may be a better compromise give the two sides of the spectrum at play. I like the idea of a compact gun that I can carry on my person, though I do not think I like the idea of the trigger safeties on the Glock.

So basically, two questions :

Recommendation for first caliber handgun?
    What make and model do you recommend for <$500?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoePSU View Post
    I had originally thought about getting a .22 caliber, simply because I have read they are best for training and ease of shooting
    22 is not really a viable round for self defense and home protection. While it's perfectly capable of doing serious damage, it's not something I'd be willing to bet my life on.

Having not shot either weapons, (yet) my gut tells me that a .40 would be a bit too much, almost like starting a new exercise program by bench pressing my body weight immediately.
    I think you'd be surprised, .40 really isn't that bad, I own a Glock 22 (larger model of the 23) and a Sig P226 in .40 and I very much enjoy shooting them. I also like the .40 round in general.

This leads me to think a 9mm may be a better compromise give the two sides of the spectrum at play.
    9mm is a fine round, and is what I carry and keep by my bed (my Glock 19).

I like the idea of a compact gun that I can carry on my person
    Definitely get some sort of compact gun for carry purposes unless you're a big guy who can conceal a lot. I carry compacts or sub compacts.

though I do not think I like the idea of the trigger safeties on the Glock.
    Can you expand upon this? It will not interfere with the function of the gun if you are pulling the trigger.

Recommendation for first caliber handgun?
    I recommend 9mm, .40, or .45. Beyond that it's a personal preference of how small of a gun you want, how many rounds you want it to hold, and what you can handle. .45 rounds are larger so you're going to generally haave wider grips and lower magazine capacity than a .40 or a 9mm and so on.

What make and model do you recommend for <$500?
    As usual I would recommend trying out a Glock 19. I'm sure people here will point out how I rant and rave about glocks all the time, but I own and have shot dozens of handguns and to me nothing compares, especially not for the cost. For every person there is a gun, mine happens to be glocks yours may be different but I would recommend testing one out to see how it works for you.

Thanks for joining the forum, I hope you enjoy it!
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

What shop did you visit in Chester Co? You could visit Frenck Creek and rent one of their pistols. That way you get an idea of the difference between 9/40/45. If you go to French Creek...I'd ask them to clean the pistols first...like many gun shops...the rentals are dirty and may have a FTE or FTF. I just wouldn't want you to get the wrong impression of an otherwise good pistol because the gun shop didn't clean their pistols on a regular basis. Ammo prices have gone up a few times this year...so I would suggest deciding how often you will shoot your pistol. I say stick with 9mm or 40 for cost reasons. I know there are a lot of 45 fans on the site, BUT if you are a new shooter...you may not like the extra recoil or the extra cost of ammo.

Here is an approx. cost of all three calibers

9mm box of 50 will run you over $6 per box
    40 over $8
    45 over $10

You can do a little better if you buy in bulk...of course it depends on the brand you buy...but I was merely using range ammo. HD ammo will cost you a lot more, but it has a different purpose.

Default First timer

As you are a first timer, I would suggest practicing on a .22 to get the reaction of pulling up to the target and shooting, action reaction is very important on shooting, I take it you are a small person and this is why you are looking .22 , perhaps a .32 .380 in pistol, but personally, i would go revolver 38 special, getting a good Ruger or S&W wont cost too much used, and most new models you can go +P or .357 There is also less chance of an unexpected shot with a revolver.

9mm is a nice calliber, but the recoil and sound is sharper then .40mm, prolly why the salesman suggested that. you would probably appreciate the sound and recoil of a 38 much better. Personal protection is generally done within 20ft, most homes or buildings will not have much more room then this, not to scare you, but statistics show HD within a range of 10 ft or less. The differance between 6 rnds in a 38 and 10 in a 9mm, if you dont hit in the first few, wont matter much. If its strictly for HD, you might consider a 20G or 12G also.

One thing for sure, if you ever have to use for HD, you probably could shoot a 44Mag and think it was a .22 When the adrenaline kicks in, you wont feel the same as shooting at the range. Many police officers emptied their revolver back in the days thinking they had 6 dudds. Never felt or heard a shot go off and believe me, .357 you usually know you shot it. Problem with a pistol, you get the feeling you have to clear the round before shooting under this situation, with a revolver you just keep going.

If you shop around, you can probably get (used) a .22 Ruger and a .38 S&W or New in models like Rosi some thing similar.

Some of the models I have presently to give you an idea,
    S&W Mod 66 X 357 = $325 used
    S&W 9mm Sigma =$250 New
    Ruger Single Six .22 = $275
    Beretta Neos .22 = $250
    No none of these are for sale presently, just giving you an idea what you can get for $500 to 600, You dont have to settle for one when you can have 2

Once you have some practice under your belt, you might want to look at other models by need or greed 9mm M&P is a nice model. So is the 1911 if you have the hands for it.
    Last edited by Frenchy; September 8th, 2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    9mm is a nice calliber, but the recoil and sound is sharper then 40mm
    You sure a 9mm has more recoil and sound than one of these?
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Default the differance of a dot!

40 vs .40 who would think Dan would pick up on this, he must of had this stored for a long time!

Tho I know well he understood me I know he is a Glock man, I know Glock has a .40mm model, And he probably has one... Din't you say you had a Glock 22 Dan? At any rate, dont let that 40 round scare you, Dan wont let you shoot it out of his Glock
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

40 vs .40 who would think Dan would pick up on this, he must of had this stored for a long time!

Tho I know well he understood me I know he is a Glock man, I know Glock has a .40mm model, And he probably has one... Din't you say you had a Glock 22 Dan? At any rate, dont let that 40 round scare you, Dan wont let you shoot it out of his Glock
    It's not the period, it's the overall terminology. It's a .40 caliber round, not a .40 or 40mm anything. .40 cal = 40/100th's of an inch (or just over 10mm) in diameter.

I'm really just busting your balls.

As you are a first timer, I would suggest practicing on a .22 to get the reaction of pulling up to the target and shooting, action reaction is very important on shooting, I take it you are a small person and this is why you are looking .22 , perhaps a .32 .380 in pistol, but personally, i would go revolver 38 special, getting a good Ruger or S&W wont cost too much used, and most new models you can go +P or .357 There is also less chance of an unexpected shot with a revolver.

9mm is a nice calliber, but the recoil and sound is sharper then .40mm, prolly why the salesman suggested that. you would probably appreciate the sound and recoil of a 38 much better. Personal protection is generally done within 20ft, most homes or buildings will not have much more room then this, not to scare you, but statistics show HD within a range of 10 ft or less. The differance between 6 rnds in a 38 and 10 in a 9mm, if you dont hit in the first few, wont matter much. If its strictly for HD, you might consider a 20G or 12G also.

One thing for sure, if you ever have to use for HD, you probably could shoot a 44Mag and think it was a .22 When the adrenaline kicks in, you wont feel the same as shooting at the range. Many police officers emptied their revolver back in the days thinking they had 6 dudds. Never felt or heard a shot go off and believe me, .357 you usually know you shot it. Problem with a pistol, you get the feeling you have to clear the round before shooting under this situation, with a revolver you just keep going.

If you shop around, you can probably get (used) a .22 Ruger and a .38 S&W or New in models like Rosi some thing similar.

Some of the models I have presently to give you an idea,
    S&W Mod 66 X 357 = $325 used
    S&W 9mm Sigma =$250 New
    Ruger Single Six .22 = $275
    Beretta Neos .22 = $250
    No none of these are for sale presently, just giving you an idea what you can get for $500 to 600, You dont have to settle for one when you can have 2

Once you have some practice under your belt, you might want to look at other models by need or greed 9mm M&P is a nice model. So is the 1911 if you have the hands for it.
    I'm not a small guy at all. 5'8", about 210. The thoughts of the .22 was only due to the 'learning how to aim' factor.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    You sure a 9mm has more recoil and sound than one of these?
    Dan forgot this also...since somebody mentioned 40mm

"SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS"

A man who has no patriotic feeling is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

This may sound sacriligious, but is it possible to buy rubber bullets for a handgun? Would this offer any stun power whatsoever?

My fiancee is very concerned with the idea of having live ammo in the house, so I am hoping for some sort of compromise. I figure rubber is better than nothing, though certainly not ideal, and much more of a risk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast