Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default wasn't sure where to put this, local paper had a bunch of articles this week

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...c031373073.txt

Common sense: Carrying guns near any president is courting confrontation
    ADVERTISEMENT

Published: Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:15 AM EDT
    When it comes to anyone but Secret Service agents carrying guns around a president, we’d be willing to bet that most Americans would prefer to err on the side of caution.

That’s why the trend of a few Second Amendment supporters carrying weapons in the vicinity when President Barack Obama makes an appearance is so troubling. Too many of us remember the assassinations of John Kennedy, Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr., the near-murders of George Wallace and Ronald Reagan and the near-miss of Gerald Ford.

This isn’t to say the protestors intend to kill the president. Clearly, the open display of their weapons makes it obvious they do not want to harm him. However, a guy showing up with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, as happened Monday in Phoenix, Ariz., or a pistol strapped to his leg, as happened in Portsmouth, N.H., last week, is pushing the envelop when it comes to Second Amendment rights and protecting the president — any president.

No one questions the right of these citizens to possess arms, or even to openly carry them. However, they need to remember that rights come with responsibilities, and that context matters.

Let’s take this argument out of the realm of presidential politics. Let’s say you look out your front window and see a man walking down the street carrying an AR-15. A playground filled with children, including yours, is at the end of the street.

Are you going to shrug it off and say, “Gee, there’s a guy exercising his Second Amendment rights while out for a walk,” go outside to ask him where he is going and what his intentions are or dial 911 as fast as you can? The question answers itself.

The protesters who are showing up carrying rifles and pistols are openly courting confrontation. Nothing good can come of this — on many levels.

This isn’t about the Second Amendment. It’s about using common sense.
    "Yell it from that Mountain High 'I was Born Free' " ~ Kid Rock

Default Re: wasn't sure where to put this, local paper had a bunch of articles this week

Ah, yes, the common sense thing...........

Let's not go there..............

(Beaver County)

Default Re: wasn't sure where to put this, local paper had a bunch of articles this week

they have had several crazy writeups this week. including one that had a thought that the militia and right wingers like tea party goers were going to destroy democracy!!!!
    I just cannot fathom their logic and they wonder why the papers don't sell!!!

(Northampton County)

Are you going to shrug it off and say, “Gee, there’s a guy exercising his Second Amendment rights while out for a walk,” go outside to ask him where he is going and what his intentions are or dial 911 as fast as you can? The question answers itself.
    So this is the guy making all the man with a gun calls?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMtnJack View Post
    Let’s take this argument out of the realm of presidential politics. Let’s say you look out your front window and see a man walking down the street carrying an AR-15. A playground filled with children, including yours, is at the end of the street.

Neither choice works for me. I'm going to go talk to him to see what he's carrying. I might even ask him if he likes the brand and ask where he shoots. I'll ask if he's on Poofa and see what his handle is.

Oh...and I'll take my kids with me to show them how cool an AR is...

I guess the author is right. The question answers itself! And it tells you who believes in the Constitution and who is a namby-pamby nutcase.

(Beaver County)

yeh....., I think due to the g20 they are really pressing the anti in the local paper. Even in the comments, when i first read some, i thought they might be filtering pro-gun comments.

(Butler County)

I'll bet it's eating at the media that it was a black man carrying that AR. A well dressed middle aged black man. Not some nazi skinhead.

(York County)

Typical "anti" hysterics. All wild-eyed irrational gibberish that utterly flies in the face of reason.

And yet they cite "common sense". The very purpose of OCing an AR15 near a presidential visit is to illustrate the stupidity of their lies. But what do we get in response? Apparently their playbook only has one play, they keep touting it despite the evidence to the contrary.

Show me anyone OCing in the vicinity of any previous assassinations. Go ahead, I'll wait.

In the meantime, we have numerous folks OCing recently, yet we have no mayhem, no carnage, no assassinations.

IT'S COMMON SENSE!

These flaming ass-hats really need to stop drinking their own bonq water.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.