Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default "Front sight Challenge" and IDPA

Between the closing of GPGC, and the arrival of our first child, I have all but stopped shooting. Still I try to get out when I can and in the mean time I read and review to try and maintain my mental training. Along those lines I have been DVR'ing episodes of "Front Sight Challenge". What I like the most about it is how so many people drop out because of mental failures or screwups with their equipment. Everyone who shows up is a great shot, but put them under pressure and things go bad pretty quick. There is a lot that can be learned by watching this show, I recommend it.
    And it reminds me of IDPA. Put people and their gear under just a little pressure and the weaknesses really emerge. The last IDPA match I went to at GPGC was a great example. I had the same pistol I have carried since an LFI 2 class years ago, same holster, same gear - except I had some new mags. The first time I ejected a new mag with 5 rounds in it, the polymer base cracked when it hit the floor and the entire mag flew apart. I thought I had properly evaluated the mags, and I did for reliability, but not a drop test while full.
    My point is that you constantly need to test yourself under pressure, and nothing will do that like a little friendly competition, IDPA style. Please make time to participate in such an event, you won't regret it.
    Just a thought...

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: "Front sight Challenge" and IDPA

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhandle View Post
    What I like the most about it is how so many people drop out because of mental failures or screwups with their equipment.
    Very true.

I remember watching the U.S. Tennis open some years ago and Boris Becker being quoted as saying in those high intensity matches with such high stakes, it really has "nothing to do with tennis" meaning it's mostly mental.